Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No turkeys for me -- except maybe Thanksgiving
Just got an email yesterday -- says I didn't draw out for a turkey permit. At least I get a preference point so I'm more likely to get it next year. Bought my combination license though so now I'm back and ready to go out fishin again.
[signature]
well thats cool ya got your licence, but what ya meanin ya can,t git a turkey, you sayin the only way you can hunt turkey is with a permit??? we have fall and spring turkey huntin. and ya just buy the stamp to put on your licence. but they dont draw fer turkey here. just fer doe permits so you cn git either or. certain times of year fer that. i buck durin rifle i doe durin bow and arrow one either or buk or doe when ya got the permit. durin muzzle,[Smile] cause generally ya can only git buck durin the muzzle.
[signature]
In Utah there are a very limited number of wild turkey permits, which you have to draw out for. They're becoming very popular, so it's tough to draw out. The wild turkey was basically wiped out in Utah a century ago, but in the last 10 years has been successfully reintroduced and numbers have grown dramatically. Every year they bring in some new turkeys from back East somewhere, then they also trap some from existing flocks here and move them to new areas in the state. Still, there aren't enough to go around yet. There is no fall hunt for turkeys in Utah, only a Spring hunt. You have to apply to specific area to hunt for them.
[signature]
oh i see, but why were they wiped out?? weather conditions, or what?? we got so many now, they,re eatin what the deer ought ot be gittin. there alot more thrivin wise than what the state thinks i,ll tell ya. and they aint even scat ot go on peoples lawns, trees apples anyways to eat right in front of their doors. haha them sucker. buit when huntin season gits here, they sure aint around haha the other day jack and i went ot claremont and it was gonna storm, ya could see it comin, well i looked down in the field and out there there must of been 50 of em all out eatin. wow! and with this crust we got, and not much snow, there diggin down pretty good to git what they need to eat. allllll big birds!!!!!!! come up here and git some will ya! haha now see thats the way it is with my deer. they had a doe permits 5 years in a row good many moons agao but the herds with the weather conditions back and forth the feed the area, and what s in it they haven,t come back good. and that aint talkin the ----- that poach. too bad. what deer there are their good size and the little ones each year but still, not many in an area any more. then ya ogt a lot of areas to hunt. mountains everywhere.lotta room fer em to outrun me i,ll tell ya. ahha but we alays have a good time anyways, that,s all that matters. and then the coyotes are doin a number too. ya know. seems everythins against em. too bad. they should be doin ok this winter. not much snow, anysays .now if we can make it thru with out any, haha said were suppose to see old ground hog thois comin week. ahha he dont want ot stick his head out too fer, i,ll have him fer supper, ahha daves got a good recipe on here i want to try. hahahahaha later
[signature]
Well, they were wiped out by early settlers (the pioneers) that decided they'd were real tasty for dinner. Can't seem to blame them I think they're tasty too! lol

I'd love to come get some a your turkeys. By the way, what state do you live in? I know turkeys are common back east.
[signature]
well i live here in vermont/. be quite a ways fer ya wont it?? i still wish ya would haha. had some guys from mass come up thru and go up to the prison farm to hunt, big area, and they camped in one of them rv things, they were cookin a turkey in one of those new fangled turkey cookers. ya seen them. their cool . right out doors they were cookin him. ahha it was terrible last year an they let me come in their rv fer a half hour till jack come out thru the woods. at dark. we got bullin. hey do ya shoot with the shot gun or the bow and arrow?? durin your season?? come on up.[Smile][Wink]
[signature]
well that,s just like the buffalo aint it?? thats too bad. but its good there puttin out more huh? yessa[Smile]where you at??
[signature]
I use a 12 - gauge shotgun. For turkey ya gotta have a powerful shell, so I'd use 3 1/2 inch shells. They pack quite a punch. I've never actually hunted turkey yet, this would have been my first time. Hopefully I'll get it next year. I'm from Utah, about 45 miles south of Salt Lake City.
[signature]
well that,s cool, here we have archery season in the spring and shotgun the fall. i like doin my new shot gun jack got fer me. are you in open and gonna shoot from the edges of the woods-field?? if ya do then yessa you need a good ol shotgun that will put out!! yessa! ahha i hunt in the woods or at the edge ofthe field. depends of the time of day. we cant shoot at high noon! aha we can go till 11 andthen in the after noon till dark. and ive had them suckers go right by me not even know i,m there a few yards out. course by then its deer huntin. haha and i cant shoot em anyways. ahha theuy tick me off. spend all htat money fer a stamp and they leave the territory. haha my arms wont allow me or my body to use a bow anymore so i just do the shotgun,. thats fine, i never really got into bow anyways. you,ll like it though when ya do. i member one year hearin this racket over the knoll, though it was a coyote attackin somethin, well i went over and watched, haha 2 males were jumpin straight up in the air and usin their gfeet to hit each other in the chest. fightin over the females and the sounds they were makin were atrocious! haah so funny!! the things ya see sometimes. haah females said i,m out of here anyways those idiots, ahha later[Smile][Wink]
[signature]
I was wondering what "stuck without a license" meant. Thought maybe you got a DUI or something so I didn't want to bring up a sore subject. Glad to hear your back in action..
[signature]
Haha. that's funny Bearclaw. Yep, I got my license now. Just waiting for it the permanent one to be mailed. Maybe this Sat. I'll actually get out fishing.
[signature]
Hey Catman, congrats on the license. Hope you go out and catch tons of little fishies and a few big ones too. Don't forget the pics. We need one of your bro getting into the donut for the first time. ha ha.

Happy fishing.
[signature]
HAHA THATS FUNNY, I EAT DONUTS.HAHA I ONLY SEE ON GUY OUT ON ONE OF THEM TBE THINGS LAST SUMMER. FIRST TIME I EVER SAW ONE. LOOKS PRETTY COOL, HE AHD EVERYTHIN ON IT, FER AS FISHIN BUT I,D SURE HATE BEIN UP TO WILLOWBY ON THE NORTH EAST KINGDOM AND HAVE THAT WIND COME UP! HAHA HE,D SURE NEED SOME PADDLES FER THAT LAKE. AHAH PROBLABLY WOULDNT BE GITTIN BACK IN TOOOO SOOOON. AHHA NOT ME GEORGE! AHAH.EITHER THAT LAND ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE LAKE AND HAVE TO WALK IT WITH ALL THAT STUFF. NO THANKS. HAHA [Smile][Wink]STICK AN ENGIN ON THE BACK THAT MIGHT HEP./ HAHA [Smile]
[signature]
[Smile][Smile] Just checked the Minnesota DNR site and found out I got mine for this spring !!! Now I have to dig for my calls and decoys !!!!!!!

[signature]
hey car man! guess what? you need to come up and go huntin up here this spring cause they aid on the news this mornin, there extendin the turkey season here this spring.!! say betwixt mass border and vt. there,s over 40,000 turkeys, and they are gonna extend it from thre up thru. aint that good?? haha i,ve seen alot this winter. right on peoples doorsteps. haha front yard. alot in hte fields. ought to be able to git a couple this year. good eatin![Smile][Wink]
[signature]
Yeah, wouldn't I love it!! Too bad it would cost me a small fortune to fly out there to get im.

lol
[signature]
look on the away.com you could git some pretty good deals there. 99.00 one way, and ya can git rooms or motel down to ascutney fer not too bad. ahah good areas up here. haha i,m not temptin ya, haha i always liked huntin and fishin in different areas, especially when i went singin differnt places. we had a ball.haha always took the fish pole and whatever when the timin was right. ahha[Smile][Wink]
[signature]