Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anderson Ranch chinook info from IDFG
I sent this question to IDFG's Fish Talk site, and got a very prompt and complete answer to my query. It follows:

By idfg-dparrish on Monday, Sep 12th, 2016 8:21am MDT

Comment in Fish Talk: Had tons of fun catching Chinook out of Anderson Ranch this summer. Are the initial plant of 35,000 spawning this year or next?

J. Michael K.

Michael,

I've got good news and bad news for you.

First the good news: This will probably be the first year that earlier plantings of fall Chinook will be maturing and attempting to spawn in the South Fork Boise River. Fall Chinook have been stocked many times in Anderson Ranch Reservoir and maturing adults have never successfully reproduced in the South Fork Boise River or Fall Creek. The fall Chinook population is totally supported through our hatchery stocking program. There are currently 3 year- classes of fall Chinook in Anderson Ranch.

Now, the bad news: Fall Chinook are stocked in Anderson Ranch and other reservoirs around the state as a fish management tool to reduce over-abundant kokanee numbers. They are a very efficient predators on kokanee. The bad news is - they may have been too efficient because we observed very few kokanee spawning in the South Fork Boise River, this fall. We probably won't stock fall Chinook in Anderson Ranch Reservoir in 2017. The reduced numbers of kokanee remaining in Anderson Ranch may effect survival and the condition of fall Chinook remaining in the reservoir. This will translate into fewer fall Chinook in the fishery, next year.

Southwest

McCall
[signature]
Thanks for sharing the information from IDF&G

I went to Anderson last weekend and fished from the bank in the Lime Creek area. While the Kokanee numbers are down the Smallmouth population is very healthy. I got two that were in the 2 to 3 pound range and many smaller versions. The action was fast and furious until the sun started hitting the water and the wind died. Then it was like someone flipped the switch to off and I couldn't buy another strike.

Watching a rancher herding cattle along the road above the reservoir while shouting through an open window from his Dodge truck was somewhat entertaining but only for a short time . I also saw a small Mule deer buck chasing 3 does around near the water. All in all it was a fairly nice way to spend a morning.
[signature]
Did you try for rainbows? Mike
[signature]