Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall Fishing at it's finest!
I can't even begin to express how much I love fly fishing in the fall...the weather, the view, the elk bugling, and oh yeah...the fat and feisty trout! Went to my favorite watering hole the other day (those of you that know will recognize from the pic), threw some Halloween Buggers (since its Oct) and some big Hares Ears on intermediate line...had a blast! Bows reminded me of myself...fat and happy! The Cutts were also looking very healthy, and had lots of fight in them. Can't wait to get back there this weekend!
[inline Screenshot_2016-09-30-15-17-29_resized.png][inline "2016-10-04 14.31.28.jpg"]
[signature]
Nice 'bow!
[signature]
Great pictures! I'm going to try your idea of trailing a hare's ear behind a bugger.
[signature]
Nice trout. For those who don't know, where were you?
[signature]
Nice!

That rainbow looks like a Kamloops strain... usually screamers when hooked.
[signature]
Nice looking fish!
[signature]
[quote steelhawk]Nice trout. For those who don't know, where were you?[/quote]

That was left out on purpose.
[signature]
Looks like a great place. Good luck. I hope I have the same. Going up Blacksmith Fork later today.
[signature]
Good luck!
[signature]
[quote Joe_Dizzy]Nice!

That rainbow looks like a Kamloops strain... usually screamers when hooked.[/quote]

They are definitely screamers and jumpers! By the time you set the hook, they are breaking water 10 yards off to the side, lol! Fun stuff!
[signature]
[quote Joe_Dizzy]Nice!

That rainbow looks like a Kamloops strain... usually screamers when hooked.[/quote]

What does a kamloops strain look like?

And, why does the Kamloops region of BC use Pennask and Gerrard strain rainbow trout?? Why no "kamloops" in Kamloops??
[signature]
[quote PBH]

What does a kamloops strain look like?

And, why does the Kamloops region of BC use Pennask and Gerrard strain rainbow trout?? Why no "kamloops" in Kamloops??

[/quote]

Excellent question, and probably no biologically correct way to answer that. Most describe the Kamloops rainbow trout as a fast growing strain, very "silvery" appearing to the naked eye, a faint (wide) pinkish stripe, and greenish back with sparse spotting that ends at the lateral stripe. Reputation for long runs, big jumps, and a real sweet tooth for chironomids.

Having said all that... you are actually 100% correct. There is no subspecies of rainbow trout named as Kamloops strain. The true strain commonly referred to as Kamloops are actually Pennask rainbow trout.

Some theorize that Pennask (Kamloops) trout owe their ancestry to land-locked strains of steelhead... no doubt theories derived from their appearance and fighting qualities.
[signature]
[quote Joe_Dizzy]
Excellent question, and probably no biologically correct way to answer that. Most describe the Kamloops rainbow trout as a fast growing strain, very "silvery" appearing to the naked eye, a faint (wide) pinkish stripe, and greenish back with sparse spotting that ends at the lateral stripe. Reputation for long runs, big jumps, and a real sweet tooth for chironomids.
[/quote]

Hmmm, that describes every rainbow that I've ever caught out of Otter Creek. [Wink]

PHB's point is basically correct, but it should be pointed out that Gerrard strain fish are the strain that comes from the Northern arm of Kootenay lake, which have a genetic predisposition for becoming large. Gerrard fish are the "kamloops" trout that became famous in Lake Pend Oreille and elsewhere. So technically you can say that the Canadians are using "Kamloops" in Kamloops. [cool]
[signature]
thanks for the replies. I think you guys got my point -- there is no "kamloops" strain.

sometimes we ask for things that we don't understand, which is why I always get my pet peeve button pushed when people ask for kamloops to be stocked.

Strains are often looked at, and Utah uses some very specific strains in their stocking. Reasons vary, from Whirling Disease resistance strains to spawning time of year strains. There are numerous reasons why.

Most of the time kamloops come up it is due to the "they get big" status. But you have to ask yourself an important question when it comes to this reason:
A. is strain the limiting factor on the current size limitation??

Usually, strain is NOT the limiting factor. Harvest (by either birds or anglers), regulations, winter survival, habitat, forage, water qualilty, etc., etc. all play factors.

if you have a lake that loses the majority of the rainbow trout over the course of a winter, would it make a difference if you used Sand Creek vs. Gerrad vs. Pennask strain fish? Probably not. You have to fix the over-winter issue (bottleneck) first, then move on to the next issue -- maybe it's a migratory bird issue that eats all young rainbows...so you have to find a strain that spawns in the fall (vs. the spring) so that the fish are big enough to not be the target of a migrating pisciverous bird?

Kamloops "strain". Just a personal pet peeve.

thanks for listening.
[signature]