Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuts are up
[Smile] Went to Strawberry, Soldier Creek side, had 3 cuts on a grasshopper fly in the first 30 minutes. Then it cooled off. Started dragging a white streamer and had 6 more on but only landed 3 of them. Of course one was this nice 23", don't worry he will be bigger next year. Water temp 54, air temp was about 25 at 8 am. Fish close to shore, they are coming in to feed.
[signature]
Great report and pictures! The big one especially looks great.

I have two questions, if you don't mind talking about it more. First, how do you pick spots on the shoreline to fish? I tend to prioritize points and humps--especially with rocks, followed by mouths of streams. However it is much less obvious to me that these areas concentrate fish than it is when I'm--say--smallmouth fishing.

Second, do you think the dry fly fishing only works early in the morning? I'd love to cast big dry flies to those cutthroats, but I'm not sure I can brave the early morning cold in a float tube.
[signature]
I am like you I do a lot of bass fishing so I look for structure for better or worse. I also rely on my fish finder although that is not always perfect.

Dry flies, definitely mornings.

That being said, we went out again today out of strawberrry marina. It was very foggy, at least 20 boats on a Friday and the water on that side is loaded with algae.
Tough to keep lures clean. We went over to Soldier Creek side at about 1030 and hooked up with a really nice 24" and sorry we kept him, he took the jig deep.

Good luck to you.
[signature]
Thanks! That's an impressive fish. I am still looking for one above the slot.
[signature]
What a blast! That is my favorite way to fish Strawberry with the Hopper/Dropper set up...especially in the evening when they are up cruising. If you land your hopper anywhere near a cruiser or jump, FISH ON! Miss that....
[signature]
Looks like I'm headed there with a mouse this weekend, hopefully the old "garbage collector" can pick up some trash [Wink]
[signature]