Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tenkara equip
Hey y'all, is there somewhere local that carries tenkara rods and lines, or am I going to have to order that online? Anybody have a setup they're looking to sell?
[signature]
I had gotten mine online through Uintah Fly Shop, but their website is currently closed, so I'm not sure what's going on there. I do know that I liked that"Highlander" rod (about $40) as much or more than the more expensive Tenkara Rod Co Sawtooth package for about $130 which I also picked up online. However, both are tons of fun! I did get a cheapo one for about $8 from Amazon, which works for having handy in case a friend without a rod or kid wants to tag along. But the quality is definitely lacking on that one. Smile

There's definitely lots of choices online, but I haven't seen anything really local even in the fly shops, so I can't help you there. Good luck.
[signature]
Thank you man! I appreciate the info. You're right, nothing to find locally. I've got a starter set ordered up and on the way though. Can't wait to start learning.
[signature]
Fish Tech might be worth a call - they say they have the largest assortment of Fly Fishing Gear

Fish Tech
Address: 6153 Highland Dr, Salt Lake City, UT 84121
Hours: Open today · 9AM–6PM
Phone: (801) 272-8808
[signature]
I've heard Mickey at Fish Tech say he's not a Tenkara guy ("there's a reason God made fly reels"), and I don't recall seeing any Tenkara kits in there but you can give it a try. You might call Fly Fish Food in Orem (801) 615-6055). Otherwise, if you want to try-before-you-buy, the Wasatch Fly Fishing Show in April always has exhibitors selling Tenkara rods you cast on the practice pond.

The web is not a bad way to go. Just get a name brand rod so you can purchase replacement sections. I've broken mine 3 times (all user error), and it was about $15 each time to get a replacement section that just slides into the mix (a nice advantage of Tenkara). Mine is a backpacking rod, so it's small enough that I can carry it in a day pack or in my boat bag as a replacement rod.

I've had good luck with Tenkara on small streams and high-mountain lakes -- especially fun with dry flies. They are like a 3 wt, but one year, someone with a Tenkara rod almost won the One Fly competition on the Green, so they can be very a versatile tool in your fly fishing arsenal.
[signature]
Tenkara USA can help you out.
I've had one for maybe 5 years now. I even make my own leaders, Sadly I don't use it as often as I should, but I too prefer a reel and different lines.
Small streams it shines, however. Uintas would be Tenkara heaven.
[signature]
I love Tenkara and fish it often on small streams.

Dragonfly Tenkara out of Pocatello Idaho are good guys and have reasonable rods. Teton Tenkara is a good average rod as well. As has been mentioned Tenakra USA is the inovator in the US and make great rod.

My favorite rods are from Japan and Tenakarabum has the best service on Japanese rods that you can imagine.

Windriver
[signature]
Thank you all for the replies and information, I appreciate it. I got my little starter kit in the mail on Friday. I took it to the Provo for a few hours on Sunday . I caught a few and lost a few while figuring out how to land them, but it was a blast. Thank you all again!
[signature]
Gear:30 in Ogden sells Tenkara USA poles, along with level line and everything you would need. That is where I purchased mine. I would highly recommend the Tenkara USA Iwana for an all around pole and if you fish somewhere where you know you can hook into 20" trout I would use the Tenkara USA Amago. I pretty much use 3.5 level line all the time. 4.5 seems harder to cast to me.

Was able to bring in four big Browns from the same hole on the Weber about a month ago using the Amago. It is amazing the power the Amago has for bringing in the big ones. You can view the video by clicking on the link.

Tight Lines from Utah Tenkara
[signature]
For some reason it didn't post the link to the Big Fish video using Tenkara. The link is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDLjlCGB_rg&t=14s

Utah Tenkara
[signature]