Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hemenway fish report
[cool]Went fishing after work friday at Hemenway Point. The wind was up but went out in the tube anyway. Tried for stripers for 1.5 hours for nada. Went into the cove to give my legs a break and try for trout . Well the trout were on the bite and I was able to land and release 8 trout with numerous hooked and lost fish and countless hits all on the Little Cleo spoon. Finally called it a day after an hour of trouting. The wind never let up. Still a good day fishing.
[signature]
Hey BigE,

Nice day... I'm gonna hit Lake Mead on Mon and see what I can do. I have a buddy who's fished alot for striper going along so we'll see how things go. I'm bringing my fly rod along just in case, but I'm mostly gonna be using the spinning gear and such until I can figure these guys out. I actually bought a spinning pole and restrung my others. It's been a few years since I've even picked those guys up.

Later,
Mark
[signature]
[cool]Good luck Telbone. One of these days I'll pick up a 9 weight to use on the stripers. I'll probably use large clousers or other big streamers that imitate shad. Or if I can find a pattern that looks like a trout. As far as spinning gear, I have been using 10lb test or bigger just on the off chance that a big boy decides to hit.
[signature]
For several years I sucessfully fly fished for stripers in San Francisco bay with 9.5' Fly Rod and a shooting head (really a HD steelhead setup). What was very succesful were bulkier Mairibou Streamers with some mylar in it about 4 1/2" long. I know somone from Lake Perris who also has good sucess and uses somewhat less bulky streamer(2 1/2") imitating smaller shad.
The downside is you usually have to tie these yourself.
Great to hear someone is fly fishing for stripers here.
[signature]