Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chub for bait Question
Greetings, I am new to the forum, just found and have been lurking over the forum this weekend. I've been reading several post's about traveling to Scofield to catch chub for cut bait, and was wondering if chub's caught at Scofield (or anywhere else) can be used as bait in other bodies of water aside from where they were caught? If so, how do you use such "cut-bait". Sorry, probably dumb questions, trying to learn new and different things to make outings more interesting. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Page 12 of the 2017 fishing guidebook says this:

Quote:• Dead mountain sucker, white sucker, Utah sucker, redside shiner, speckled dace, mottled sculpin, fathead minnow, Utah chub
and common carp may be used
as bait in any water where bait
is permitted.

https://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/201...ng_low.pdf

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
Good to know. Thanks for the response.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Most of the chubs you will catch at Scofield are what I would consider "XL". They are good for fishing whole or half for burbot, macks, catfish...and the big cutts in Strawberry. Otherwise you should plan on having a system for freezing and then cutting them into pieces suitable for the task at hand. Some simply fish with large chunks. Others fish only a large enough piece...on a jig...to provide scent for attraction. Lots of variations.

I harvest chubs from several places...when water levels and other conditions are suitable. It has been tough the last 3 years to find the size chubs I prefer for the fishing I do. I like them 4-5 inches for fishing whole for several species. But I grade them out so that I also have some small ones for special applications...like tipping jigs through the ice.

You can sometimes find chubs in the freezers at Sportsmans and other tackle outlets. But it has been sparse recently...just like my own catching.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Fillet the chub and then cut 1/4 inch strips (back to belly) with the skin on and tip you jig with these mini chub french fries. Great bait & it hangs on your jig better than other baits. The big troutskies at the Berry love them.
[signature]
Thanks for the info gentlemen. I will have to get to work on stocking up I guess. I've really got the itch to do some ice fishing and at almost every sporting goods counter I go to they recommend tipping jigs with or fishing straight chub meat. I have caught chubs at Strawberry using worms under a bobber, kids like catching fish no matter what they are. Is that a good method with all chub?
[signature]
You can catch 6-7" chubs at Scofield right now without even trying. They might decide to poison it soon though.
[signature]
[#0000ff]One of the reasons that chubs are so unpopular in Utah is that they eat the same food as trout...at least the hatchery pet rainbows. Thus, rainbows usually have a tough time competing with chubs and do not grow as fast. They either stunt or die out.

So...anything you might fish for trout will catch chubs. That includes bait, flies and lures. They will eat anything. Plain worms or a worm tipped jig will almost always catch chubs if they are around. The bobber routine works well during warmer months but the chubs go deeper under the ice. So standard ice fishing gear will work better.

[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Mini-report on chubs at Scofield right now:

I went Sunday, 12/11 and caught around 20 chub and one skinny cutthroat on a red and chrome perch talker. The chub were caught half on nightcrawler-tipped ice jigs, the other half my jaw-jacker caught with a simple size 6 baitholder and about 1/4 of a nightcrawler threaded on with a wormthreader. All fish caught within 2 feet of the bottom in 16 to 19 feet of water, ice was 5 to 6 inches. Now I have a sack of chubs to take to Strawberry or Flaming Gorge to try and catch a big lake trout.
[signature]
I went to Scofield on 12/12 and fished essentially the same as you and came home with 29 chubs. I also will be using them at Strawberry & FG.

How does one include a photo on the post inlieu of an attached file? What does the "online" box on the far right side of the "attachments" do for you?
[signature]
Thanks for the read, very informative TubeDude!

Thanks for the mini-report as well. I am going to try and go up there this weekend and now know what I will take with me!
[signature]
I just use Photobucket and delete the URL tags around the IMG link.
[signature]
[#0000FF]...and if your pics are ever dropped out of Photobucket they disappear from BFT archives too.

Okay for your convenience but potentially disappointing to anyone who looks for them in the future.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
OCF - Click on the inline image below for a quick demo on how to use the Inline option for posting photos within your post instead as an attachment.

[inline InlinePostDemo.jpg]
[signature]
Thx - using Safari, the photo icon does not show up for me either. So this apparently is not an option for Mac users.
[signature]
Incredible write up Tubedude! I hope people appreciate how much info is there and the time that it took putting it together. Thanks for sharing!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks. I appreciate your appreciation. That piece is a composite of several smaller ones I have put together over time. Glad to help those who seek help to shorten their learning curve. Wish I had some of that stuff many long years ago myself.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yes, very informative, and greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all the help!
[signature]
[#0000FF]In the immortal words of our great statesperson, Sarah Palin..."You betcha."
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
If you want to catch some GIGANTIC chubs Strawberry is the place. I caught this one a few years ago and thought it was a carp until someone from the forum pointed out to me that it was just a huge chub. I didn't even know the berry had chubs until then but I guess that is better than carp.
[signature]