Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When it's Time to Move Up!

Hi there TubeDude,

It is now, Sadly, time to accept that my beloved StealthRider is no longer adequate for a body that has been most fortunate in being healthy and in some ways happy in gaining bulk.

Aside for choosing one of the abandoned super oil tankers to convert to a kayak, I have decided to forgo my purchase of a kayak to upgrade my tubination to NOT a Fat Cat but a Super Fat Cat.

For a person of smaller stature, the StealthRider is one of the best of the best, in my estimation, but no longer for me.

Would someone want to adopt/buy my tube? I would be willing to let her go, if I knew she was going to a good family. She is in very good, no.. excellent condition, I know how to make a float tube happy.

I would beg her forgivness for a mere $175 for a $385 tube. Shipping would be yours but if you're close (I'm in Lakewood, CA) I'll bring her to you.

I'm giving your buddies first shot TubeDude.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]It must be painful to part with such a dear family member. I hope she finds a good home. I do not know anyone who is currently looking, but maybe someone else can help.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Before you buy the Super Fat Cat, let me offer a couple of thoughts. First, you can get the regular Fat Cat for $100 less. It is essentially the same critter, but has solid foam seats instead of the inflatable seats on the Super model. We have both in the Tube family and I think I prefer the solid seats for comfort.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Also, unless you inflate the Super's seats just right, you get sagging and discomfort. You also have two more valves and two more air chambers to be concerned with. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have never been very comfortable in the SFC. The backrest only comes up to about the middle of your back, so it is not like the full support of many other craft. I often have lower back pain after a full day on the water.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The side pockets are huge...one of the best features of the FaT Cat models. But, the aprons are small and poorly fitted. They are almost an afterthought. And, the flimsy velcro rear fasteners are difficult to attach and come apart easily. I have had to modify mine with hooks to even keep them in place. For us guys of the large persuasion, it is almost better to leave the apron off.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The open area behind the seat is nice. It allows storage of a small cooler. You do not want to keep anything back there that is not waterproof though, since there are drain holes in the bottom of that area that allow water to both come in and out. But, you can stow things in waterproof bags for long jaunts.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The size is plenty adequate for big boys. I carry over 260 pounds on my 6'3" frame, and there is plenty of flotation left over in my SFC.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Have you considered maybe an 8' pontoon...with the addition of oar power for tough currents or wind? You can get one for not too much more than the SFC would cost. Can't carry them long distances, but for launching near your vehicle they offer some advantages over tubes or Vboats.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#804000][size 2]Hi there JapanRon,[/size][/#804000]

[#804000][size 2]I purchased my SFC from Riverwire.com. Free shipping and no tax. Not being a big man like TubeDude [5'9" 175 lbs] I find my tube is ample in size not only me but for my equipment as well. As TD pointed out there is plenty of room in the bow for storage. I store my vest and other supplies in that area. Don't store anything in the bow that you don't want to get wet. I prefer the inflatable seats to the foam for I can adjust the firmness to suit my butt. I tried out both the FC & SFC at Bob Marriott to get a feel for air versus foam. As they say "to each his own". [/size][/#804000]
[signature]
I have the FishCat4. It is very similar in design to the SFC. The pockets are about 12cu inches smaller than the SFC and the seat is foam. I don't have a problem with my big butt and have made some modifications to suit my general needs. (siren, lights....stuff like that)
[signature]

Hi there TubeDude,

Thanks for the moment to pause and consider alternatives. I'll try out both models as a buddy I know will let me borrow both and fish with him. One of the reasons I though of the Fat Cat/Super Fat Cat is that, as I understand, your rear is up and out of the water.

As a kayak is definately in my, not to distant, future, I passed on the admittedly wonderful oared-pontoon boats.

Thanks again TubeDude, Dryrod, and TubeN2.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][#804000][size 2]Yup JR - [/size][/#804000][#804000][size 2]Your butt is definately out of the water. The only difference between the two cats is that the Super has an inflatable seat and back rest whereas the other has a foam seat and back rest. Oh yea - the Super costs about $30 more.[/size][/#804000]
[signature]