Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine 1/1/17
Fished porcupine Sunday up by the inlet and down along the cliffs. Got on the water at about noon and fished till 6:30. Only managed one brown about 16" on a fire tiger ice fly tipped with a meal worm and was the only fish I marked for the first few hours. Saw one school of kokes swim through but couldn't convince any of them to bite. Ice was about 6" with two of those inches being cloudy. Small patch of open water straight across the lake from the first boat ramp. Didn't check ice down by the dam but it was all freshly frozen but I'm guessing it was about 2-3". Heard from a friend that a guy fished the lower part of the lake earlier that day and caught one about mid 20's. I plan on going back out Saturday morning to see if I can get some kokes or one of the lunkers that hang around. On a side note, after not marking any fish all day on my finder, as soon as the sun went down at around 5 or 5:30, the screen was just chuck full of fish up until I left but I couldn't get anything to commit. I tried glow jigs, glow ice flies, and ratfinkees but couldn't get any bites.
[signature]
Good to know it has capped, how low is it this year? Been wondering how to get on and off with all the snow... Starting to wonder about taking the snowmobile or just a bucket and ultra light weight on the gear... thanks for the report... Later J
[signature]
Water levels straight out from the parking spot with the spring were about 35'-40' across the whole lake. I think the deepest spot I marked was 50' down a ways along the cliffs but that was 15' from shore. I took all my gear and it wasn't horrible. Just followed the tracks from previous people and got down fairly easily. Going back up was kind of a pain but I credit that to staying after dark and taking the wrong path back up after leaving my flash light at home.
[signature]
Thanks for that update on the levels... If I remember right the dam is 90' or so deep when full, so it's about half full this year... That shouldn't be too bad to get in and out of... Although it's always hard work... How were the roads up over the dam? I know that can be a scary drive up over top at times of slick snowy conditions... Hopefully it's still passable without chains... Later J
[signature]
Roads honestly weren't to bad mostly just packed snow. I was able to make it up and over in 2 wheel drive with no slipping or sliding. Once you get up by the inlet tho try to stay on a trail that someone has already driven or your in about a foot of snow
[signature]
Oh that don't sound too bad, there was more snow in Hyrum yesterday as I broke the trail down into swim beach... That had me puckered up pretty good with 16" of new snow and that much steep to drop into... I was glad to see the plow come before the crowds arrived and the salt was a good thing... Couple years ago I did the same thing with a front wheel drive car and they didn't plow it that day... It was a bit of a scratch to get out... Thanks for a great report and update on conditions, I look forward to trying the kokes and see if we can talk them into biting this year... Later J
[signature]
Great report on conditions, too bad the catching wasn't all that great. I've been hoping to get up there the last two weeks but with all the snow the Logan area has been receiving I figured that place would be buried, glad to hear I was wrong.
[signature]
Be warned tho I did leave as the snow storm was coming in and haven't been up there since so I'm not sure how much new snow has been dumped up there.
[signature]
Oh, well that makes a difference, I was thinking the storm came in the day you went up there, I guess it was over night on the 1st to the 2nd.
[signature]
I do believe that after this weeks storm making it up there by this weekend might be a long shot.
[signature]
Is it still dumping in the Valley? I left early this morning with 8" of new snow over night and it was still falling hard when I left...

I think you're going to be right, it will be very hard to get in to Porcupine with the current snow falling... I'm thinking we'll be close to 20" of snow in the valley now and if it keeps going all day who knows what we'll have. I know Hyrum had more to start with, so that end of the valley might be a little hard to fish for a while now...
Do you know if they are going to plow the roads beyond the end of the oil at Porcupine, seems like in years past the plows stopped at the bottom of the hill and left a big pile of snow to push through to get up on top of the dam...

I remember trudging through waist deep snow a couple years ago trying to get on the ice up there, thought I was going to die by the time I got my gear up out of there... But we could still drive in there that year, just not many places to get off the road and park or turn around... May be another year like that this year... That was a scary ride up top that year, I was very glad for 4 WD and good tires... Anyway thanks for the additional tips, that pond is a long ways out to get there and find it's a no go.... Later J
[signature]
There was about a foot in my driveway when I left for work at seven. I haven't heard anything about the plows but I may try and make a trip up Friday after work and see if it is even feasible. wouldn't be worth the gas and hassle to leave super early Saturday and just get stuck at the bottom of the dam.
[signature]
That's for sure, I think I may try the snowmobile if I go while we are still in this snowy mode... Good luck and be careful not to slide off that road, it's a long ways down... take chains just in case... Later J
[signature]
Looking at the Hyrum camera it appears that the snow has stopped. Checking the forecast they are saying we are only going to get another three inches from this storm so it may still be doable.
[signature]
Seen a four wheel drive make it up the road on Tues thre was about 8 inches new snow from sun storm cache valley is doing a great job keeping the road plowed and the parking lot clear alot better than years past they wouldn't hit it till they didn't have anything to do great job plow guys keep it up thanks
[signature]
Watching the radar, I think that was a sucker hole, looks like more snow still coming behind it... But it does sound like it has slowed down, my wife said only a couple inches more since 5:00 this morning, so I might get home tonight.... I hope... Looks like a long night on the snow plow... Later J
[signature]
Do u do the plowing up around porkipine
[signature]
No sorry I just try to dig out my farm and neighbors but my tractor is a little helpless without chains and it's only a 2WD so I struggle with big snows. I keep my wife on speed dial to bring the truck and pull me out. Sorry for my misleading comment. J
[signature]
So took a drive tonight to check the roads out. About two feet of snow on the road heading up over the dam. Looks like a Saturday trip is out unless one of yall wants to convince someone to plow it haha.
[signature]
Wow 2' of snow and -32 F this morning, I was wanting to try some fishing today, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea just yet... I'll probably wait for some sunshine before I try anything... Hope this cold is getting through the snow insulation to thicken the ice, but with that thick of blanket of snow I doubt it's helping much... Maybe cold enough to tighten up Bear Lake... They are usually 10 degrees colder than us so 40 below ought to do some good over there... Later J
[signature]