Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eskimo auger throttle problems?
I have an eskimo stingray on its second year. New out of box auger never ran on full throttle smoothly unless motor is at home and in a warm spot. However when the auger is on the ice or in cold weather it has to run on full choke or half choke to get full throttle and even then it's boggy. Even if I let the motor run and warm up, same issue. Should have taken care of it New out of the box but the motor was well in use last year. This is my 2nd eskimo and very happy not only w the product but customer service has always been awesome. I just emailed them as well but curious if any of you have the same issues? The first auger went about 15 years for me and was still running strong but figured I would get New
[signature]
Only problem I've had with my mako 43 is the screws that attach the carb to the power head came loose from repeated use and vibration.it Created an air leak causing it to run lean. Tightened the screws and it runs like a champ again.
Your issue sounds like it's running too lean as well, where your having to run it with choke on.

I've heard it said that "most" problems with small engines are due to carburetor issues.

Anyone else have any experience here?
[signature]
I've learned to start the season with a clean gas jug with nonethenol gas i use the eskimo mix and i only use it for my auger. also never drill a hole and leave your auger standing in it . unless you like to buy a new gas tank in the middle of the season.one more if someone asks you to use your auger . you go drill the holes another hard lesson learned. the carbs on the eskimos are the weak spot. thats why i have two augers cause I'm not carb smart.
[signature]
I had issues with the carb on my Eskimo last year. I found a new carb on Amazon prime for $15. This one has the air fuel adjustment on it. It took care of the issues I was having.
[signature]
I would just sell it for half of the new price to some poor guy still using a hand auger [cool] and get yourself a new battery powered one so you won't have to fight that awful carburator.
[signature]
[quote americanforkdude]

The first auger went about 15 years for me and was still running strong but figured I would get New

[/quote]

Reminds me of another saying, "Never leave fish to chase fish."

Many moons ago, I had the same issues with my new Eskimo auger. I found that the idle speed was set way too low.
[signature]
I agree with it running lean. Check the fuel system to make sure it don't have any air leaking in where it shouldn't....gaskets/fuel lines/primer button... If it was put up dry last spring and you just filled it, a seal may have dried and is letting air past. This sometimes resolves itself after being fueled for a few days, when the gasket swells back up.
[signature]