Fishing Forum
Castaic fishing report for 9/20 - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: California Fishing Information (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=343)
+--- Forum: California Fishing Information (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Castaic fishing report for 9/20 (/showthread.php?tid=68808)

Castaic fishing report for 9/20 - tubeN2 - 09-22-2003

[cool] Hey there fellow anglers,

Got to Castaic at 4:50 am. Water was calm and @73degs. Set out with my son in our brand new Caddis float tubes (thanks to TD) and we were waderless. We kicked around for a couple hrs before anything started to bite. The bluegills woke up first so we decided to pound on them for awhile. Couldn't get any over a pound so we decided to let them all stay and grow up for a future trip(if the lake is still open) ha ha. Eventually the LMB woke up but got really finicky. We were using power worms, lunkers, grubbs and nothing would budge. I hooked my son up with a dropshot rig and a small purple sparkle 3" worm. That was working for him. He caught a 5lbr and decided to release it to grow up as well. In the mean time I was chucking my 6" rainbow around but only got a good workout for the morning.

We decided to shore and store our gear around 9:00 . All in all the score was Anglers 2- bluegills- 33 LMB-3 all C&R. Only they anglers made it home.
[signature]

Re: [tubeN2] Castaic fishing report for 9/20 - BFFG - 09-22-2003

Im sorry to hear that the fishing was lousy, I bet that 5 lb bass put up a good fight.[Wink]
[signature]

Re: [tubeN2] Castaic fishing report for 9/20 - JapanRon - 09-23-2003

Hey there tubeN2,

Way to go. I'm not too picky of an angler. If I've got some kind of action, like the 33 gills give you guys, I'd consider the 3 LMB to be icing on the cake.

I have been known to drive fellow anglers crazy as I don't get competitive or really, really agressively fish while they're half-paniced, worried about putting a count on the boards. ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]

Re: [JapanRon] Castaic fishing report for 9/20 - tubeN2 - 09-23-2003

[cool] Hey JR, Beggars can't be choosers. But for that 8 mil reward, I would rather settle for the big boy. Besides, after catching 2lb+ blue gills there, the little ones don't exite me as much. If we plan on a fish fry or something then I might consider a few of those 1-1.5 lbs ones. They are still good eating when you decide to keep them.
[signature]

Re: [BC] Castaic fishing report for 9/20 - tubeN2 - 09-23-2003

[cool]Hey there BC, Yes I do fish from the dock often. The swimbait that I am using is just like the one that you are talking about. Although I have a 4in sinking, 6in sinking and a 9in floating. When I am on the dock with the bigger ones, I have no choice but to use a stout rod. My rod of choice is usually one of my ocean poles. It has the strength that I need to lift one of the big dogs up out of the water from that height. For the smaller bass and bluegill, I use a standard 5' ultralight spinning rod. With the bluegills, I will generally use 2# line and the bass are fine on 4#. The lighter the better. It gives you more of a fight and alot more bang for your buck. I will also be up there this weekend on Saturday from early a.m. till around noon. Not sure about Sunday yet. I'll have to play it by ear.
[signature]