Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wipers in other lakes in Utah
[quote AFDan52]fishinfool, I will be glad to swing by and say hi anytime . I have my my boat pretty well fixed except for a couple of small things I'm taking care of right now. I'll be in a Yellow / White Searay old style.[/quote]

Yeah. I know your boat, But we have never really shot the shit. or talked much.
I will keep a look out for you.
[signature]
[quote wormsinker] I love wipers they are some of the best fighting fish i've ever caught for there size. They taste awsome as well. Never had one spool me though, had a laker that almost did it at the gorge, However that was a lot bigger then a wiper. Ya spool up good and be prepared for a fight when you hook one of those guys trolling![/quote]

I would rather catch them on the cast most of the year, I do troll but like to try to catch them with different kinds of rig's you just cant troll. Plus a like that hit when I got the pole in my hand. what a rush.
[signature]
I agree with you, I don't know of any other fish that hits as hard as a Wiper. It's like catching a Football with Attitude.
[signature]
Tiger muskie will give you all you want when they hit. I still love the wipers though.[Image: confused.gif][Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
lb for lb I think wiper will find its way to the top of everyone's list of best fighters.

I have a pretty quick and simple question...This thread reminded me of it actually. Why are there no freshwater drum in Utah and if there are, where do they exist, Lake Powell? These fish remind me of wipers, they are not as built (round) as wipers but they still fight extremely well. They are related to Redfish. They also do not taste as well as a Wiper does but still pretty good nonetheless.

I guess that is a question for Drew? I'm sure TD caught some down in Arizona. These fish have the largest range south to north of any species in North America...wonder why Utah doesn't have any?[:/]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are supposedly drum in a couple of the lakes along the Salt River chain in Arizona but I never caught one...nor did anyone else I knew. But, I have caught them from many waters in the midwest and south. Also caught a lot of redfish along the gulf coast.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Drum get a bad rap. They get big, they hit lures well and they fight hard. And they are as good or better than many other prized fresh water species. But, because they don't have stripes or spots...and they don't jump (usually)...they are treated like carp by most anglers. Truth is, they have a very simple bony structure and are easy to fillet and great eating. But because they have the underslung mouths and big scales they are "carpish".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Always nice to have a new species to target but with all due respect we really don't need drum competing with the fishies we have now. They gots enough problems without having to donate their groceries to a newcomer with a big appetite.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good points and well said. They sure fight well. Just about the only fish that reminds me of a wiper is a drum.

You are right to they can get big. 20-25lbs or bigger even.

I see your point I can't think of one lake in Utah that could really use them. They could replace white bass in a lake like Utah Lake... they would probably do very well there but that is the last thing UL needs now. They are also an excellent bait/food source for flatheads but Utah doesn't have any of these awesome critters either.

I have a lake about an hour from me up here in Wyoming....full of them in the 2-3lb range (Drum). Fun fun.
[signature]
Good idea on your setup. I think I'll do the same.
[signature]
I caught some "British Fishing Shows" from some blokes that were fishing for Bream, Roach, and Carp - and some of them were some freaky big fish! They'd use long poles, or various chumming systems. Poles, bobbers - misc options.

Some of those Bream may be about the "shape of a Crappie" but a whole world different fish. Carp in a Crappie shape. Bob Nudd, Bob Roberts & Matt Hayes. Some interesting episodes. Curious to see another countries "fish-rules" in play. 'Specially coming from Utah and our peculiar habits.