Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White bass in Cutler Reservoir?
If there are that many shad in the river, I just might have to start fishing there more often. They could really grow some nice bass, eyes and catfish. Interesting.
[signature]
AH YES! Good ol' Gizzard Shad.... I also think that the White Bass I catch below Cutler came from Willard. I need to stomp below the Dam haven't done it this year...mmmmm if we don't get a good ice out you know where I'll be stompin!

Oneida isn't that far... an hour drive from Logan to get up onto the drink. I don't think I'll be ice fishin up there TOO SCARY!

Oh ya... you are fishin my Walleye honey holes you silly honey hole robber!LOL JK Glad you had a great season! All is fun!
Smiley!
MA
[signature]
Thank you! We had an AWESOME season and one of the best up there ever!
Yep eyes and smb come from there along with all the other species I mentioned earlier.

The skunks need to have more predators...I lost count of how many scooted through camp and right under my camp chair at the fire!EEEK! Dogs don't have the greatest time at camp for sure!

I do have my Walleye stories but I'm keepin you in suspense! I did not break a record but still after it!
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]
Well you got me curious to see if I can find perch in the river. They are probably there I guess I just need to figure out how to catch them. Sounds like fun to try. Later J
[signature]
Yote how close were the shad to the dam? I wonder how close Ma's whitie sighting is to the dam. Maybe I'll just need to go downstream a ways to catch them instead of Utah Lake. I didn't think there was white bass in Willard. If not then maybe bucket bios or misidentified but I doubt Ma would mixem up. Starting to sound like Cutler and Bear River has about everything. I'm really surprised the shad have moved that far. Hope the state gets their wipers figured out and maybe we can ask for them in the lower Bear. Later J
[signature]
One of my fishnbuds pulled a nice Eye across from the rock over the summer. Wasn't sure what it was and tossed it back. I've heard that story from a couple anglers - guess the teeth scare them. (don't realize how flaky the filets doth be!)

I won't go into details - but the same spot - near the pumphouse - has a fresh flow - and I've seen schools of bitties before, but the last time I hit high water it was sunfish, gills, bass babies, and crappie. Fun little mix. Was surprised to see swarms of a whole different school. Guess they take turns?

I just figure there must be some well fed bigger fish sitting just outside the minnow schools...

Thanks Pat. I was afraid that's what they might be. Why are they so uptight about shad? Doubt they make it upstream from the dam, but maybe I don't know... interesting - they smell much like the fatheads do - very "fragrant" fish.

I didn't find the schools of bass or frisky cats I'd hoped for. Water's up, but I've seen it higher. Sure was windy and cold at least.
Sad to see the gate closed at camp Fife - with a no trespassing sign SPECIFICALLY saying "No Fishing Access". Shoot - who screwed that up for us?

Heard they had vandals out cutting wire - even live wire - guess to get the $$ for recycling to supply their habits. Whew - takes all kinds!

If I do renew for ID next year - I'll have to be sure to get up there EARLY for some spring action! Late summer turned into a dried up shrivelled up mucky mess up there! But - I had some fun fishn all the same.
"Why are they so uptight about shad? Doubt they make it upstream from the dam, but maybe I don't know... interesting - they smell much like the fatheads do - very "fragrant" fish."

[cool][#0000ff]Gizzard shad are a problematic species in many waters. They spawn prolifically and the young (and old) live on the same bitty bites that the young of other species need to survive...mainly zooplankton. And they get big fast...too big for all but big predators like stripers, pike and muskies to eat and help keep under control. Like silvery carp.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Thus far, in Utah, they have only been allowed in Willard Bay because it is a "closed system"...with outlets ultimately into the salt lake. Theoretically they serve as a food source for the predators in Willard and do not constitute a potential danger for managed waters downstream. But, since they have "jumped the fence" it will be interesting to see what happens to the ecology in the marshes over time.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The FIRM laws against possession and/or use for bait stems from the screaming fear that somebody is gonna transport some live ones to some other body of water. Justifiable given the number of recent bucket biology issues.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]"Fragrant"? They plain stink. But they do put up a good scrap if you hook one.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote FISHINMA]

The skunks need to have more predators...I lost count of how many scooted through camp and right under my camp chair at the fire!EEEK! Dogs don't have the greatest time at camp for sure!

MA[/quote]

There are a ton of skunks up there. One day while out in my tube, I watched a skunk wrestling with a carp carcass that was bigger than it was. It was pretty entertaining, I'm just bummed I forgot my camera that day, it would have made for some good video footage.

That's good to know there's a decent population of trout in there. I figured they must be in there since there are plenty in the river, I've just never targeted them. I did have a rather sizable trout follow a lipless crank in to my tube last spring, but that was the only one I had seen in there. Oneida is a trickier fishery than the others in the area IMO. I usually get plenty of smallie action, but oddly enough I've never caught perch there. All the other reservoirs I catch them on bass lures at least at some point, but even dropshotting deep with small baits, I only get smallies, sunfish and the occasional eye. I don't get it.
[signature]