Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Island Park Reservoir
Those are great fish. We are up here in island park for the week and I have a great set up for trolling. I am a Kokanee addict but can't seem to find them. Any ideas would be appreciated the kids love to fish for them. Thanks for any help as we have never fished this reservoir. We do great at the flaming gorge. But need some help here[reply][/reply]
[signature]
Use your kokannee gear in front of the dam in deep water . There is a boat ramp near Ponds lodge that is close to the dam . Use you fish finder to find the correct depth , good luck .
[signature]
Tried in front of dam today didn't mark much or even get a bite wondering where all the Kokanee they stock have gone too. Going to try again tomorrow hopefully can find something
[signature]
i wish they would stop planting 250, 000 kokannee that don't even get a 10 percent harvest rate and plant Brook trout instead.
[signature]
The true definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results! But if the government gets involved it's normal....[cool]
[signature]
Fished the last 2 days of the trip ended up catching anout 100 trout ranging average about 12 inches did catch 3 that came home that were about 17 inches and did finally manage to find 1 Kokanee about 2lbs that we took as well. All in all kids had fun but sure wish we could have found more kokes
[signature]
Wow 100 fish in 2 days awesome. We have not been doing well at all . Were you catching them over by the Dam ? . Welcome to the forum and thanks for the report
[signature]

Thanks for the report. That's the best fishing I've heard about all year.
Nice koke,
[signature]
I have to agree with MMDon. This lake is ridiculous to try and troll on. I fished it for the first time this week and all I did was catch planter bows and lose a downrigger weight and all my cable on the bottom. We were fishing by the dam in 65 feet of water and suddenly we were in 30 feet! Not to good when the weight was at 50 feet.
I went there because a family friend offered a cabin for the week. Not knowing any better, I brought my boat along. I soon found out that only around 10% of the lake is trollable because the rest is too shallow. I suppose it's a great play Lake but the fishing didn't impress me. I'll stick with Strawberry and the Gorge.
It is a beautiful place and Yellowstone was but fun the fishing wasn't for me.
Thanks curt69 for giving me some tips. Kudos to you for being able to catch fish on this reservoir!
[signature]
This year is very strange . The lake is usually down to about 50 percent and the water is very warm . This year the lake is full and the fish are scattered. When the water gets warm the fish move into the springs and creek mouths. I am talking trout .
[signature]
You are right there is a small area to troll with down riggers . I suggest people troll flat lines for trout first and learn the lake bottom. Mark your way points where it's is deep enough to use your down riggers . That will save the problems you had this time . Just north of the dam about 50 yards there is a lava rock shelf that is very shallow . When the lake goes down a lot of people loose there props and sometimes there lower end .
[signature]
[quote curt69]They plant 250,000 every year . . In late July and August they are in 50 to 60 feet of water in front of the Dam . I don't have downriggers, so I can't get down to them . The guys that are setup do well for them . I was at the dock by the Dam last year and a guy told me he had a 5 pounder . I didn't believe him . I asked did you weigh it . He didn't have a scale . So I weighed it for him . It was 5 pounds and in the spawning colors. If I would have caught it , it would be going on the Wall .[/quote]

On this we can all agree!
[signature]