Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down Rigger weights
Im curious how heavy are alot of you experianced Down Rigger fisherman going on your weights. Im guessing some what variable depending on speed , depth, etc.
Appreciate any thoughts on this ....
[signature]
I have 4 electric DR's on my boat. I use 10 lbs on the back two (I want them to hang as vertical as possible) DR's and 8 lbs on the two on the sides (a little blow back is fine).

I have 12 lbs that I only use at FG when I fish 100 plus feet in depth. The heavier weights seem to draw down on the battery faster.

I you have manual DR's you may want to use 6 or 8 lbs max. The heavier weights wear on your arms if the bite is fast.
[signature]
You can also get by with lighter down rigger weights if you use the pancake style, as opposed to the cannon ball style.
[signature]
I love fishing extremely lightweight gear, such as a simple spinner and especially a single Hothead spoon by KCT with a single maggot.
I have a pair of 4lb pancakes that offer extreme low resistance and let your battery or arm be almost strain free.
[signature]
[quote catfishbait]Im curious how heavy are alot of you experianced Down Rigger fisherman going on your weights. Im guessing some what variable depending on speed , depth, etc.
Appreciate any thoughts on this ....[/quote]

Like you said it depends on where you fish, and if you have manual
If I had manuals (which I don't) I would leave them down all the time and use a
Shasta Shuttle Hawk Downrigger release but would change the release that come with it, and put something good on

I use 10 lb pancakes.

next you can talk about Downrigger releases, I have tried a lot of them.
what works for me may not work for someone else
[signature]
4 electrics here. The back 2 I use 8# stick weights and those are deepest, great for not snagging bottom. The other 2 I use 8# fish weights in much shallower conditions covering the water column. With stick weights the blowback is not as great as fish weight but I'm satisfied with the outcome
[signature]
10 lbs pancakes on all 4 downriggers. We also have 2 10lbs ball weights, but we hardly use them.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Same here; 10 lb pancakes on all 4 riggers. Running the kicker full time while trolling keeps the batteries fully charged. Never had a problem.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
You guys gave me an idea. Im filling pipe with lead shot and putting an eyelet on them. weights are expensive and if I lose a pipe with some lead shot I say good thing it wasn't a $40.00 ball.

Thanks
I might make a 4, a 6 and a 8 pound set up.
[signature]
[quote reelfast]You guys gave me an idea. Im filling pipe with lead shot and putting an eyelet on them. weights are expensive and if I lose a pipe with some lead shot I say good thing it wasn't a $40.00 ball.

Thanks
I might make a 4, a 6 and a 8 pound set up.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]LOL. Using I" X 24" galvanized pipe (2 ea) and galvanized caps (4 ea) per set you'll be into the 4 lbs at about $61, the 6 lbs at about $68, and the 8 lbs at about $75. Those cost estimates don't include the eyelet or any stabilization. But hey, go for it and let us know how it turns out. You may be onto something. [/size][/#800000][/font][Wink]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I was hopeful for a cheaper short cut. Those weights are getting spendy
[signature]
[quote reelfast]I was hopeful for a cheaper short cut. Those weights are getting spendy[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I hear ya Dan. I got my [/size][/#800000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]MarineNow Coated Pancake Downrigger Canon Ball Weight with Fin 10 lb at this[/size][/#800000][/font] [url "https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0754L9C6B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]link[/url] [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]last year for $29.99 (still the current price) with free shipping. It's great to be a 'Prime' member. [Wink]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]If you don't need/want the reflector tape on the fins, you can get [/size][/#800000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3] pancakes in [/size][/#800000][/font][/size][/#800000][/font][url "https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0754L9C6B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]8 lb ($20.80), 10 lb ($28.70), 12 lb ($30.50), or 15 lb ($38.10) from the place I linked. [/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
i like 8 to 10 lbs fish shaped weights , i had a 4lber i found and ran it for a few years with no negative effect . i bought a mold last year and have made up quit a few spare weights . i will sell them for 25 bucks a piece to anyone who wants one .
[signature]