Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brought home a new Dog.
Thanks Jay, that carrier looks perfect. It is out of stock right now, but I can wait. I like that it has tie down spots, which most I’ve looked at don’t. I have a fear of losing the dog on those carriers. I think if I used the safety chain hooks on the truck, it will lock it all down tight. As far as storage, I think during the season I’ll keep it up on that pallet to dry the track between uses and block it up on 4x4s during the summer. Thanks for that tip. Is studding the track necessary? When I drove it, it seemed to have great traction. I’m guessing for clean glare ice would be about the only reason.
[signature]
Studded track really makes a difference. I was fishing up in Montana and there were powder drifts all over the ice and when you tried to go thru one, the Dog would go thru the snow down to the ice and just spin on the ice. I was towing two other sleds , so I was towing quite a bit of weight. Next time I went I had the track studded and I just motored thru with no slipping. To me, studs are the way to go. Climbing up out of the lake over a burm/icy hills was a lot easier with the studs also.
With the hitch hauler, I have not used the ramp after the first time because it iced up with snow and slush on the drive over to the Gorge and I had to heat the ramp(I brought a propane torch) thinking it might ice up and it did because of the weather. No snow or slush, ramp works great.
Without ramp, I just unlatched the platform and the weight of the machine as you drive off tilts the ramp to the ground. It works great that way. It loads just as easy the same way. Just make sure you relock the platform with spring loaded release rod.
Make sure you put parking break on Dog when you travel with it. It will roll backward or forward if you don’t.
I use four ratchet straps to tie Dog to ramp and to the bumper of my truck. Two to keep machine from moving forward or backwards(to bumper) and two over the top of upside down sled to trailer hitch chain eyelets.
Use ethanol free gas also.
[signature]
Perfect. That all makes sense. I only run non ethanol in my engines. Thanks for your help.
[signature]