Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Court.....
About what time are you going to be there?
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
I'm leaving right now. I heard they did some work on that South dike and did something with the confusing signs, so I want to see it before it gets dark.
[signature]
Good luck at court.

Hopefully the changes make them look like they're trying to hide what they did and helps you get out of the ticket.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Thanks again for being there tonight Hue. I still might end up having to pay when I go to the trial but I'll feel better about it. [Wink]
[signature]
They took out all the signs that causes the tickets to be issued and it appears they widened the road. Still have to go back for the trial but at least they fixed the issue that caused this whole problem.
[signature]
So, I'm curious, and this might be better placed under a whole new discussion. But, I was at Echo last, Sunday, and dragged my sled down onto the lake. I wasn't sure of the ice thickness, so left my snowmobile on the trailer. Regardless, the ice was plenty thick, but when we were done, there was no way I was going to pull that heavy sled back uphill. I pulled the sled to the edge of the lake and unloaded the snowmobile. I drove it down to the lake and pulled my sled back up with the snowmobile. What I didn't see, and what was pointed out to me, was a sign.... pointing the opposite direction of where I decided to park. The sign talked about, "no motorized vehicles". Well, the only sign pointing my directions said, "No camping". In order to see the other sign, I would have had to have walked all the way around to the other side of the fence. Now, I wasn't cited..... but, this seems like a, "gotcha". I easily could have been cited. I don't know anything about, Mantua, but it seems like a similar thing.
Sign confusion. State code is pretty direct as to what constitutes criminal trespass and sign recognition. I think, I hope, I would be OK arguing the facts to a judge. The question would be who the judge is. You're always afforded to hearing your case before the judge, or a jury of your peers.
[signature]
I'm not sure about the sign you are referring to but it does sound similar the our Mantua situation. What I found out last night was that only in serious cases are you allowed a jury of your peers, in minor cases like this, you can always able to have a hearing before the judge, if you so choose.
[signature]
So Curt how did they fix the parking situation? I'm so Confused that I don't dare try fishing at Mantua anymore?

My understanding is you can only park at two places, on the south side. They are by the boat ramp over the hill in the parking lot and then up at the east end they supposedly made a couple little parking areas that are around where the creek comes in. Then I understand next year they are looking at building a parking lot near the middle where the road comes in from the west to join the dike road...

From what you said I'm wondering if there is parking back on the dike now? Or is that the trap to get more tickets to fund the new parking lot?

I know the new officer is a go getter up there, I seen him on the side of the road the other night with lights on and I pulled to the inside lane to go around them and he immediately pulled out right behind me and pulled me over, I couldn't figure out what in the heck was going on, so I pulled over and he had pulled me over for a license plate light that was burned out... Luckily he didn't issue a citation, but sure freaked me out, I try to be legal in my driving, since my daughter got enough tickets for the whole family and I'm still paying high insurance from that...

Anyway until the new guy gets more grounded into just going after the big offenders, watch yourself in Mantua... Later Jeff
[signature]
Jeff, I'm leaving to go fishing in a minute so I can't tell you everything but yes, it does appear you can park on that South dike again. I for one will not be taking a chance again this year but most of the signs have been removed.
[signature]
Hey Curt good luck and thanks... J
[signature]
Jeff, I would suggest that everyone avoid parking on the dike until after the court decision on Curt is made. Although some of the signs may be gone, the way that the judge read the charges last night, a vehicle parked on the dike could still be ticketed if deemed that it might impede traffic. Unknown also is who removed the signs; angler or law officer. Better to be save than sorry. Many times the judge stated that fines can be as much as $1054, but most likely $75.
I suggest you stay off the dike.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Jeff, I was up there recently.

There are actually several places I saw people parked, and all but one I know are OK.

The normal parking lots in the southeast and northeast corners are still open. Sometimes the road to the northeast lot is nasty and impassible. The ones with the restrooms (which are locked). [mad]

In the south-WEST corner, they pushed some dirt around, and made a small parking area pretty near the beach. That provides decent access.

I saw several cars parked in the south parking area below the dike, but I don't know personally if that was OK. I assume so, as it's a regular parking lot.

In spring/summer/fall, you already can't park along the south dike. But, in winter, for several years, they had been allowing it, because it gives good access for the most people. People have parked along that dike for years, and nobody got tickets last year, or the year before, or the year before.....

Then this year, BANG, without notice, without new signs, without addendum to the old signs, and without friendly reminders or warning "tickets", without the officer showing up and verbally communication, out of the blue EVERYBODY got a ticket for something that was OK for years.....

All you gotta do is not park on the dike, and not drive 26 mph in a 25 mph zone, and you can still fish Mantua just fine.

Let me know if you want to, and I'll join you.
[signature]
Now that you mention it, that's correct as it was a parking citation and not a misdemeanor crime, like a DUI.
[signature]
We’ve been talking with Brigham City to fix the signs. I would assume they removed them and not Mantua. You said they removed signed on the south dike? Did they remove all those no parking signs or just the ones with the single arrows?

How did court go? We’re you able to have dialog with the judge or just make your plea?
[signature]
Man, I wouldn't try it.

I feel like they would remove the signs, stop ticketing people for the parking violation, and then start ticketing you for the obstructing traffic thing.
[signature]
Yup, don't think I'll chance it either... Don't really need to hit Mantua this year, it's fun before the other ponds get going, but now the state park ponds are game on, I like to spread out on them where there is less worries of big brother having a problem with me wanting to go fishing... I like the yearly pass so I know I'm legal and don't have to worry about petty tickets for doing something that I don't know is wrong... It's always a concern going to the other places and not knowing if they charge in the winter or not... Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it... Jeff
[signature]
I guess I did fail to mention the parking on the other side of the lake, but since I hardly ever fish that side, it wasn't part of my considerations..

I'd love to have ya join me, but I think I'll be hitting Hyrum instead on Friday since we have a family funeral on Saturday... if you are available and would like to join me let me know and I'll get lined up with you. Thinking of taking my FIL and using the snowmobile so I can get him onto the lake and back in without over doing it too much. But where I go is easy in walking distance if your health is still okay and if not I can come pick you up, I pull my smitty with a gear box to sit on so it's easy transportation without having to try and sit on a snowmobile... Anyway let me know... Later Jeff
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Mantua is a very cruel joke being played on anybody that wants to go there. The perch and bluegills are dinks and not worthy of the time to try to find them. Trout can be caught in just about any reservoir in the state. So why would I want to waste my time going there?[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Easy answer - I wouldn't and I won't. Just over the hill from there is Hyrum and it is on fire for perch right now. A never been ice fishing in my life before today friend from Logan met me there at 9:15 AM today. We were fishing about 10 AM and quit at 1 PM. We iced over 100 perch and 80% of them were over 7". We both kept 10 apiece with all those being over 8".[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I will not be fishing Mantua again as long as they have those mental midgets running the place.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
these are wise words from bob. mantua is a joke ! they have been praying on visitors for years and know how to get away with it . best is to let that place dry up.
[signature]
I used to fish the bluegill spawn in the Spring, dutifully paying my $5 to launch my kayak.

Swimmer's itch, snails, weeds top to bottom, and now $100 parking tickets. Nah, I think I'll pass from now on.
[signature]