Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
My new money pit
There's a pretty decent fish finder listed in the For Sale forum right now.
(09-22-2020, 08:46 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 07:59 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 07:51 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Justin, nice boat. One of the better Bayliner models.  I worked for Bayliner in Valdosta Georgia as a lamination equipment maintenance person. 
I personally don't like fiberglass boats (of any brand) they are too heavy at comparative length's with aluminum boats. But the Maxum  models seem to have been better engineered than some of the smaller Bayliner run-abouts in the 16 to 18 foot range. 
That older Force (Mercury) outboard was a fairly reliable motor. It should scoot you along quite nicely. 

You will need to fly a BFT flag from it so we don't get you mixed up with the "other" power squadron hooligans..... Big Grin
Thanks for the information that is interesting, I never knew. I was curious about the force being a mercury I just hadn't had time to study on it. The ladies I bought it from had it tuned every spring and once I figured how to start it it purrs like a tiger (do Tigers purr?) anyway it ran solid now once I can get to dmv to get it registered I'll be on the lake.

Does anyone know about this sticker on the side that says outboard title compliance? Is that something the dmv will give me?
[Image: 25-AE18-CE-4-C8-B-420-C-BC8-F-0-BD52-F9775-EC.jpg]

I'm don't think Utah still titles both motor and boat separately .  My first boat was a brand new 2004  17 foot Lund Pro-Sport with a 115 HP outboard.  They were not titled separately . When I asked the dealer why not, I was told that the original thought behind separate titles on outboard motors was because they were "removeable" from the boat.  Well I've never tried to unbolt and remove a 115 HP 4 stroke outboard, but I'm sure it isn't easy without special tools and a lift. Not an item that could be stolen on impulse by quickly reaching in and grabbing it.  My present 14 foot Lund came originally with a 15 hp otbd and it was not separately titled, and now the new 25 hp I re-motored it with this spring, is not separately  titled either.   
There may be a HP limit that determines weather it is or isn't. But I'm sure the DMV could answer that question. 

Forest, I had to register my boat, motor and trailer seperatly. Don't know if that is a county thing or not.

(09-22-2020, 08:39 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: So I found this boat on ksl after a few failed sales. But I was glad they failed when I found this. It is a 1989 Maxum 20' BR. It is a one owner if you could believe that by a lady that never used one day for fishing only water skiing. She pampered it I almost feel guilty using it for a fishing boat....almost! We are happy for you Justin. Hope you can get the paper work done so that you can soon use it. Nice looking ride. RJ

[Image: 20200921-175404.jpg]

[Image: 20200921-175423-HDR.jpg]

[Image: 20200921-182429-HDR.jpg]
They do title the boat and outboard separately. You won't get a new sticker just the titles in the mail.
Dawg,

That is one FINE looking ride you got there.  I have a couple of suggestions for you with regard to the motor.  They are suggestions based on what I would do if it were mine.  If the motor owners manual didn't come with the boat, get one on line if at all possible since it is 30 years old.  Next, contact Lee's Marine & Service, [(435) 245-7727, 363 W 200 N, Hyrum, UT 84319] and get as much information about the motor as you can from a professional that knows his business.

As to motor oil, no disrespect intended to anybody else's opinion on brand, but there are several brands available that will meet or exceed 'Mercury' brand, 2-cycle motor oil at less cost.  Google would be a real help in determining an alternate to 'Mercury' brand.

Seafoam is a great product and I use it year round in all my small engine equipment religiously.  Every 5-gallon gas can I own contains fuel treated with it all the time.  However, for my boat, I use Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - Classic Gas Formula from Star Brite (I was turned on to it from Lee's Marine).

And finally, I agree 100% about using ethanol-free fuel in that engine.  The fuel system from that far back was NOT designed to handle ethanol fuel and you will ultimately see a breakdown and failure in some of the fuel system components if you use ethanol fuel.

And that motor was definitely not designed for trolling speeds.  I would recommend you get a kicker motor and mounting plate installed on the transom for trolling along with an electric motor mounted up front for steering.  You can troll with an electric motor up front, but will be limited to time due to the extra power required to maintain trolling speeds without a kicker motor.  You can do it, but only for about half the amount of time.  And you WILL want to go with either a 24 vdc (2 more batteries) or 36 vdc (3 more batteries) electric motor with that class of boat.  Hey - you did call it your new MONEY PIT - did you not.  Wink

If you go new on riggers, sonar, electric motor, etc., check put the prices at Hodges Marine out of Florida.  I bought all my electronics from them when I got my new ThunderJet.

Enjoy and have fun Dawg.   Cool
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(09-23-2020, 02:43 AM)r2u2 Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 08:46 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 07:59 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 07:51 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Justin, nice boat. One of the better Bayliner models.  I worked for Bayliner in Valdosta Georgia as a lamination equipment maintenance person. 
I personally don't like fiberglass boats (of any brand) they are too heavy at comparative length's with aluminum boats. But the Maxum  models seem to have been better engineered than some of the smaller Bayliner run-abouts in the 16 to 18 foot range. 
That older Force (Mercury) outboard was a fairly reliable motor. It should scoot you along quite nicely. 

You will need to fly a BFT flag from it so we don't get you mixed up with the "other" power squadron hooligans..... Big Grin
Thanks for the information that is interesting, I never knew. I was curious about the force being a mercury I just hadn't had time to study on it. The ladies I bought it from had it tuned every spring and once I figured how to start it it purrs like a tiger (do Tigers purr?) anyway it ran solid now once I can get to dmv to get it registered I'll be on the lake.

Does anyone know about this sticker on the side that says outboard title compliance? Is that something the dmv will give me?
[Image: 25-AE18-CE-4-C8-B-420-C-BC8-F-0-BD52-F9775-EC.jpg]

I'm don't think Utah still titles both motor and boat separately .  My first boat was a brand new 2004  17 foot Lund Pro-Sport with a 115 HP outboard.  They were not titled separately . When I asked the dealer why not, I was told that the original thought behind separate titles on outboard motors was because they were "removeable" from the boat.  Well I've never tried to unbolt and remove a 115 HP 4 stroke outboard, but I'm sure it isn't easy without special tools and a lift. Not an item that could be stolen on impulse by quickly reaching in and grabbing it.  My present 14 foot Lund came originally with a 15 hp otbd and it was not separately titled, and now the new 25 hp I re-motored it with this spring, is not separately  titled either.   
There may be a HP limit that determines weather it is or isn't. But I'm sure the DMV could answer that question. 

Forest, I had to register my boat, motor and trailer seperatly. Don't know if that is a county thing or not.

(09-22-2020, 08:39 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: So I found this boat on ksl after a few failed sales. But I was glad they failed when I found this. It is a 1989 Maxum 20' BR. It is a one owner if you could believe that by a lady that never used one day for fishing only water skiing. She pampered it I almost feel guilty using it for a fishing boat....almost! We are happy for you Justin. Hope you can get the paper work done so that you can soon use it. Nice looking ride. RJ

[Image: 20200921-175404.jpg]

[Image: 20200921-175423-HDR.jpg]

[Image: 20200921-182429-HDR.jpg]

OK, wasn't sure about the motor needing separate registration.  Maybe it's because of the HP rating ??   But the trailer registration is required if:  The trailer is over 750 lbs. empty, 18 feet long or longer, or has 2 or more axles. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool