Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Porcupine
Didn't end up going to the back end. Decided to just call it a day. Ice was about an inch maybe a hair less off the first corner after the cattle guard. It was good seeing you 2knots
(01-01-2022, 04:40 PM)2knots Wrote:
(01-01-2022, 04:00 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I guess that should not surprise me but I did not think the Pig was that much higher in elevation at least at the base of the dam. Any idea on the evevation difference from your house and the dam?

Top of the dam is just over 600’ higher then here at the house, Saw DJ up there this am sounded like they were going to try and get to the upper end
That is more than I expected. It will be interesting to hear how DJ does, hopefully he can get into the back area. Was he using a snowmobile or driving a truck?
(01-01-2022, 06:02 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-01-2022, 04:00 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I guess that should not surprise me but I did not think the Pig was that much higher in elevation at least at the base of the dam. Any idea on the evevation difference from your house and the dam?

Top of the dam is just over 600’ higher then here at the house, Saw DJ up there this am sounded like they were going to try and get to the upper end
That is more than I expected. It will be interesting to hear how DJ does, hopefully he can get into the back area. Was he using a snowmobile or driving a truck?
He didn’t go back, see his post above yours
(01-01-2022, 06:23 PM)2knots Wrote:

Opps, missed that but it sounds like we need to wait. Not sure how cold it got at your place last night but it got down to 9 degrees here.
(01-01-2022, 06:46 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-01-2022, 06:23 PM)2knots Wrote:

Opps, missed that but it sounds like we need to wait. Not sure how cold it got at your place last night but it got down to 9 degrees here.

1 this am so thing’s ought to be getting better soon

We decided not to drive to the back. Didn't want to risk getting stuck just yet. Thought about taking my track sled up there but we just decided to call it a day. Maybe by next weekend
(01-02-2022, 01:12 AM)DjHill16 Wrote:

We decided not to drive to the back. Didn't want to risk getting stuck just yet. Thought about taking my track sled up there but we just decided to call it a day. Maybe by next weekend
How deep was the snow where you decided to turn around?
(01-02-2022, 02:18 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

We never went past the first corner where we parked. A raptor came up and went about 200 ish yards down the road before turning around. I would guess if it's like where we parked, maybe 8" of powdery snow with ruts if people have been back there.
(01-02-2022, 02:36 AM)DjHill16 Wrote:
(01-02-2022, 02:18 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-01-2022, 04:40 PM)2knots Wrote: Top of the dam is just over 600’ higher then here at the house, Saw DJ up there this am sounded like they were going to try and get to the upper end

We never went past the first corner where we parked. A raptor came up and went about 200 ish yards down the road before turning around. I would guess if it's like where we parked, maybe 8" of powdery snow with ruts if people have been back there.

Thanks for the info.
Thanks for the updates and reports.... Maybe lots of options this weekend... Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Anyone cruised up yet to see how the ice is? I'm guessing it's gotta be close to what hyrum is but won't be able to check until sunday.
So what is going on at Hyrum? Looked like big open spots on the camera today, is it going to clear off again? I was hoping it would be safe soon. Later J
(01-08-2022, 04:19 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: So what is going on at Hyrum?  Looked like big open spots on the camera today, is it going to clear off again?  I was hoping it would be safe soon. Later J

I think the spot closest to swim beach is still solid. I'm guessing it opened a pressure crack and thr water melted the slush and snow that was there. As for the one along the back side of the lake my buddies guess is over flow from the river. But that's just guesses made looking at the cameras as well.
(01-08-2022, 11:54 AM)DjHill16 Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 04:19 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: So what is going on at Hyrum?  Looked like big open spots on the camera today, is it going to clear off again?  I was hoping it would be safe soon. Later J

I think the spot closest to swim beach is still solid. I'm guessing it opened a pressure crack and thr water melted the slush and snow that was there. As for the one along the back side of the lake my buddies guess is over flow from the river. But that's just guesses made looking at the cameras as well.

Thanks hopefully the cold will help. Rough year for ice fishing. J
I was there yesterday and those spots are ice.  I did not fish; just looked.  My guess is they were the last part of the lake to freeze and that happened AFTER the last snowfall so the color is darker than the frozen slush on the rest of the lake.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Yup they are froze now, but wasn’t the other day. Hyrum looks really busy today on the damcam but most are smart enough to stay close to the edge where the ice is a little thicker. The weather report looks like it might get a safe layer this week so maybe soon. I’d like to hear if they are finding any fish. It was tough in the boat last fall. Later J