Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice surprise at Dmv
I just called the DMV.  A bill was passed in the legislature in 2022 that changed the law concerning trailer licensing.  All trailers qualifying under the new law will be automatically transferred to the new classification upon registration renewal effective Jan 1, 2023.  I'll check out all the details and report back tomorrow.  Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(04-05-2023, 09:53 PM)drpepper Wrote:

It is my understanding that the boat trailer itself needs to weigh 750 lbs or less, not the weight limit. My boat trailer is a single axle and weighs less than 750 lbs but my boat is around 1700 lbs. Have not had a plate on it for several years. I could be wrong but have never been ticketed?
You are correct and I doubt most people even weight their trailer but they told me it is very unlikely they will ever issue a ticket for an unlicensed single axle trailer, unless they were just looking to give you a ticket for some other reason and wanted to add on another ticket, then you would have to prove it was under 750 lb by having it weighed. When I bought the boat and trailer they advised me to license it, to get it in my name but they said after that it was up to me if i wanted to license it but it was not required.
(04-05-2023, 10:19 PM)dubob Wrote: I just called the DMV.  A bill was passed in the legislature in 2022 that changed the law concerning trailer licensing.  All trailers qualifying under the new law will be automatically transferred to the new classification upon registration renewal effective Jan 1, 2023.  I'll check out all the details and report back tomorrow.  Big Grin

Bad news for you and I Bob, and anyone else’s single axle that weighs over $750.
We still get to pay the outrageous fees.
The $7 deal that looked good at first screws the >750 crowd.
What used to be free is now $7.
Okay, I heard back from the Utah DMV with regard to non-expiring license plates for trailers.  It comes from 41-1a-2-202(2)(a)(viii), which states that any trailer of 750 pounds or less unladen weight and not designed, used, and maintained for hire for the transportation of property or person are not required to be registered. However, we can do so if requested by the owner, at which point the Division will issue a non-expiring registration.

So, if you have a small trailer of any kind that weighs less than 750 lbs unladen, you don’t HAVE to register it and put a license plate on it.  But if you constantly take it to another state that requires ALL trailers to be licensed and they hassle you over it, you can request a non-expiring registration for it in Utah, get a plate for it, and avoid the hassle in another state.  It can be for ANY trailer weighing less than 750 lbs, not just a boat trailer.  My single axle, enclosed Snowdog trailer (6X12) weighs over 750 lbs, so no lifetime plate for it.

(04-06-2023, 04:18 PM)MrShane Wrote: The $7 deal that looked good at first screws the >750 crowd.
Not really Shane.  You don't HAVE to register it.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(04-06-2023, 07:49 PM)dubob Wrote: Okay, I heard back from the Utah DMV with regard to non-expiring license plates for trailers.  It comes from 41-1a-2-202(2)(a)(viii), which states that any trailer of 750 pounds or less unladen weight and not designed, used, and maintained for hire for the transportation of property or person are not required to be registered. However, we can do so if requested by the owner, at which point the Division will issue a non-expiring registration.

So, if you have a small trailer of any kind that weighs less than 750 lbs unladen, you don’t HAVE to register it and put a license plate on it.  But if you constantly take it to another state that requires ALL trailers to be licensed and they hassle you over it, you can request a non-expiring registration for it in Utah, get a plate for it, and avoid the hassle in another state.  It can be for ANY trailer weighing less than 750 lbs, not just a boat trailer.  My single axle, enclosed Snowdog trailer (6X12) weighs over 750 lbs, so no lifetime plate for it.

(04-06-2023, 04:18 PM)MrShane Wrote: The $7 deal that looked good at first screws the >750 crowd.
Not really Shane.  You don't HAVE to register it.
That is true Bob, thank you for your research!