Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online AIS cert FYI
It's going to be interesting when I try to re-register my boat in November. Do I get to use my 2023 AIS passing grade for my 2024 registration? When the 2024 test comes out, do I have to repeat it and pay a second $20 fee?

Inquiring minds want to know.
(07-01-2023, 04:41 PM)MrShane Wrote:
(07-01-2023, 04:35 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Just got this from the DWR, looks like paddle boards and non motorized float tubes and pontoons, even canoes don't have to pay the AIS fees as I read it, what do you think?

Dear Utah boater,
A lot of new laws were passed during the 2023 Utah legislative session, and if you’re planning to boat in Utah this year, you should know about some new requirements that will take effect July 1, 2023
Requirements for Utah residents with motorized boats
Starting July 1, if you are a Utah resident with a motorized boat, you must: 
  1. Pay your boat registration fee through the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles.

2. Complete Utah’s free Mussel-Aware Boater Course. (This education course is now an annual requirement for all Utah boaters; please note your customer ID information upon completion.) The completion certificate from this course must be displayed on your launch vehicle’s dashboard before you can legally launch. 

3. Use your customer ID to complete your vessel enrollment and pay the $20 aquatic invasive species (AIS) fee on the DWR website.
These steps must be completed before you launch your vessel in Utah. Boaters who complete these steps will receive two separate decals — one from the DMV and one from the DWR — that must be attached to their boats. Learn more about these requirements and see answers to common questions.
Important: If you registered your boat with the Utah DMV before July 1, 2023, then you do not need to pay the AIS fee or attach the AIS decal to your boat. (Those were covered in your DMV registration.) Simply complete the 2023 Mussel-Aware Boater Course and display the course-completion certificate on your launch vehicle’s dashboard to legally launch your boat. 
Requirements for Utah residents with non-motorized boats
If you own a non-motorized vessel in Utah, you still have to follow the state’s clean, drain, and dry requirements, but you don't have to take the Mussel-Aware Boater Course, enroll your vessel or pay the AIS fee.
It’s a bunch of crap Kurt.
ANYTHING on the water should have to pay to help with AIS.
I agree why do we have to support  every one on the water. It is all about the almighty buck .
If it's all about the buck, you would think they would make everyone pay Undecided
Per the email from Utah DWR quated above:

Requirements for Utah residents with non-motorized boats

If you own a non-motorized vessel in Utah, you still have to follow the state’s clean, drain, and dry requirements, but you don't have to take the Mussel-Aware Boater Course, enroll your vessel or pay the AIS fee.

Per the FAQ in the web site https://stdofthesea.utah.gov/ais/resident-boater/

Do I need to complete the online education course and pay the fee to use my SUP, kayak, canoe, etc.?

No, non-motorized vessels are not subject to these requirements, but users of non-motorized watercraft are still required to self-certify that they’ve effectively cleaned, drained (if applicable) and dried their vessel before launching in a Utah waterbody.

So, I guess technically (same as now) you would not have to do the on-line course if yourself-certify by filling out a form before launching a non-motorized craft.  I've always just posted my certificate in lieu of filling out a form and I have read nothing that will still not be the case.

(07-01-2023, 05:23 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: It's going to be interesting when I try to re-register my boat in November. Do I get to use my 2023 AIS passing grade for my 2024 registration? When the 2024 test comes out, do I have to repeat it and pay a second $20 fee?

You have a valid point as it is not clear to me whether the AIS sticker is annual per calendar year or whether it is is year long following your registration.  Might be a mess.
(07-01-2023, 08:46 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: If it's all about the buck, you would think they would make everyone pay Undecided

They should have to pay but as long as the system is going to single us out we will always suffer. The dwr can't even enforce  the laws now.if they made the paddle boarders  and kayaks  pay the same they would cry like a baby that they need more money too   IMO
(07-01-2023, 04:41 PM)MrShane Wrote: It’s a bunch of crap Kurt.
I've been writing my State Legislators with the same request ever since they first added a fee to the boat registration.  Stupid/dumb then; even more so today.  On sticker, one fee for any thing that will float on water.

And sorry smokepoles, but I'm very okay with charging one fee for everybody.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
dubob
(07-01-2023, 04:41 PM)MrShane Wrote: It’s a bunch of crap Kurt.
I've been writing my State Legislators with the same request ever since they first added a fee to the boat registration.  Stupid/dumb then; even more so today.  On sticker, one fee for any thing that will float on water.

And sorry smokepoles, but I'm very okay with charging one fee for everybody.

Well, that is the way a lot of states have gone -- if it floats, its a boat. Easy peasy I guess, but equitable?   Your call.
(07-01-2023, 05:23 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: It's going to be interesting when I try to re-register my boat in November. Do I get to use my 2023 AIS passing grade for my 2024 registration? When the 2024 test comes out, do I have to repeat it and pay a second $20 fee?

Because this is a switch over year, everyone that registered their boat in July or later should be able to use the same AIS certificate they got earlier in the year when they took the test and start next year by paying but according to Mr shane, he had to pay at $20 fee and take the test again, so that would mean you will have to do the same in Nov. but for next year you won't have to pay the fee until you take the test again and since you don't normally start boating until Spring, you won't have to take the AIS test and pay that fee for months later. 
If it were me, I'd just skip registering your boat in Nov and wait until 2024 to do it, that way you skip having to pay that extra $20, then you can start off 2024 whenever you want, at least as far as taking the test. Besides, you have until the end of Nov before your registration expires and in most years you don't fish from your boat that late in the year, do you?
Here it is for nonresidents

Requirements for nonresidents bringing motorized boats to Utah
Starting July 1, if you are not a Utah resident but you’re planning to bring a motorized boat to Utah for boating purposes, you must: 
  1. Register your vessel in your state of residence. (You will need your bow number for Utah nonresident vessel enrollment, described in step 3).

2. Complete Utah’s free Mussel-Aware Boater Course. (This education course is now an annual requirement for everyone who boats in Utah; please note your “customer ID” information upon completion.) The completion certificate from this course must be displayed on your launch vehicle’s dashboard before you can legally launch. 

3. Use your customer ID to complete Utah nonresident vessel enrollment and pay the separate $25 nonresident aquatic invasive species (AIS) fee on the DWR website.
These steps must be completed prior to launching your motorized boat in Utah. After completing these steps, you will receive a decal that must be attached to your boat. Learn more about these requirements and see answers to common questions.
Requirements for nonresidents bringing non-motorized vessels to Utah
If you own a non-motorized vessel that you want to use in Utah, you still have to follow the state’s clean, drain, and dry requirements, but you don't have to take the Mussel-Aware Boater Course, enroll your vessel or pay the AIS fee. 
Utah’s scenic waters provide recreational enjoyment for boaters year-round. Before launching your vessel, make sure you’ve taken the necessary steps to follow the new laws. We appreciate your efforts and support to help stop the spread of invasive musselsin Utah.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Just registered my boat online yesterday, registration went down 10 bucks from last year they didn’t ask for any certificate #, went to DWR site and looked at the AIS page and it’s still the same as before, only lists the 20 bucks for nonresident boats.
(07-02-2023, 01:13 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Because this is a switch over year, everyone that registered their boat in July or later should be able to use the same AIS certificate they got earlier in the year when they took the test and start next year by paying but according to Mr shane, he had to pay at $20 fee and take the test again, so that would mean you will have to do the same in Nov. but for next year you won't have to pay the fee until you take the test again and since you don't normally start boating until Spring, you won't have to take the AIS test and pay that fee for months later. 
If it were me, I'd just skip registering your boat in Nov and wait until 2024 to do it, that way you skip having to pay that extra $20, then you can start off 2024 whenever you want, at least as far as taking the test. Besides, you have until the end of Nov before your registration expires and in most years you don't fish from your boat that late in the year, 
Curt,
Not sure if I screwed up or not?
I read the note ‘If you registered your boat before July 1, you do not need to pay $20 for sticker’, so I went ahead and took test and paid $20 bucks, since my registration is in Sep.
Then it dawned on me, did the State mean 1st time registration or pre-registered boats?
I am actually more worried about 30 day summer dry time for “complex” boats that have bilges and livewells. At times Powell can be a joke to get de-conned and sometimes wait at Hanksville is way long. So I could come home and ‘drain ‘n dry’ for 7 days and be good. My boat has a livewell, by definition I am now required to ‘drain ‘n dry’ 30 days.
I’m mostly just grateful I get to help SUP boiz and gals and their kayaker buddies get a free ride on our waterways while all of us with engines pay for their enjoyment.
It would be simple logic to me. If a microscopic mussel veliger can attach to anything, then anything that goes into Lake Powell ought to be considered a mussel threat - whether it has a motor or not. But logic and goobermint are antithetical.

I think that I might just let my registration expire in November and renew it in February. Even if there's a late fee of $20 or less, I'll come out ahead. Thanks for the suggestion.
(07-02-2023, 04:34 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: It would be simple logic to me. If a microscopic mussel veliger can attach to anything, then anything that goes into Lake Powell ought to be considered a mussel threat - whether it has a motor or not. But logic and goobermint are antithetical.

I think that I might just let my registration expire in November and renew it in February. Even if there's a late fee of $20 or less, I'll come out ahead. Thanks for the suggestion.

No fee for late registration, I've done it many times and the last time I did it they just changed my yearly registration from Oct to February.
(07-02-2023, 02:13 PM)MrShane Wrote: Curt,
I read the note ‘If you registered your boat before July 1, you do not need to pay $20 for sticker’, so I went ahead and took test and paid $20 bucks, since my registration is in Sep.
Then it dawned on me, did the State mean 1st time registration or pre-registered boats?
I am actually more worried about 30 day summer dry time for “complex” boats that have bilges and livewells. At times Powell can be a joke to get de-conned and sometimes wait at Hanksville is way long. So I could come home and ‘drain ‘n dry’ for 7 days and be good. My boat has a livewell, by definition I am now required to ‘drain ‘n dry’ 30 days.
I’m mostly just grateful I get to help SUP boiz and gals and their kayaker buddies get a free ride on our waterways while all of us with engines pay for their enjoyment.

If you did it before July, there was no reason to pay the $20, not sure why they would even ask you to pay before July. I did mine in June and did not pay any extra AIS fee.
Doesn't the 30 day dry period only pertain to those that go to Powell? When did that change, I thought the 30 dry period was only during the Winter. Not only that but can't they just put a tag on your boat and just come up to the many clean stations in Northern Utah? Don't most boats have livewells or is your boat more complicated than that? Sounds like there will be a lot of changes I need to figure out before next year when I take the new AIS test.
There's a mandatory 30-day dry period for boats with ballast tanks. I'm not sure it applies to live wells.
It Looks like the live wells are not part of the mandatory 30 day dry time. Smile

If your boat has ballast tanks, an inboard motor or other raw water systems (A/C, shower), the required dry time is [b]always 30 days[/b].

If your watercraft does not have any of the above systems, the dry times are:
  • Summer: 7 days in June–August

• Fall: 18 days in September–November

• Winter: 30 days in December–February

• Spring: 18 days in March–May
(07-02-2023, 08:21 PM)gofish435 Wrote: It Looks like the live wells are not part of the mandatory 30 day dry time. Smile

If your boat has ballast tanks, an inboard motor or other raw water systems (A/C, shower), the required dry time is [b]always 30 days[/b].

OK, that's what I remembered, it only applied to ballast tanks but is that any time you go to Powell or on any lake? It wouldn't make much sense if it's on lakes that don't have mussels IMO.
But "or other raw water systems" might apply to live wells, no?
(07-02-2023, 10:03 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: But "or other raw water systems" might apply to live wells, no?

The new law includes a new definition of a ‘complex system’ (that is the definition by the State for boats with ballast tanks but it also includes boats with ‘bilges and livewells’ in the category of ‘complex systems’ which has a 30 day drain and dry requirement.

(07-02-2023, 07:13 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-02-2023, 02:13 PM)MrShane Wrote: Curt,

If you did it before July, there was no reason to pay the $20, not sure why they would even ask you to pay before July. I did mine in June and did not pay any extra AIS fee.
Doesn't the 30 day dry period only pertain to those that go to Powell? When did that change, I thought the 30 dry period was only during the Winter. Not only that but can't they just put a tag on your boat and just come up to the many clean stations in Northern Utah? Don't most boats have livewells or is your boat more complicated than that? Sounds like there will be a lot of changes I need to figure out before next year when I take the new AIS test.
My boat is not unlike yours:
I have a bilge and two livewells but no ballast system.
The new AIS test parameter states if you have a bilge, ballast tank, livewell, live water washdown system, etc you are now classified as a ‘complex system’ boat and must drain and dry for 30 days after leaving Powell, Mead, Havasu, etc (infested waters).
You used to be able to leave Powell in a boat like ours in July, and when de-con station is broke down or not staffed you could follow 7 day d ‘n d period and go fishing in 8 days (which most guys would do and go the following week plus one day.

(07-02-2023, 08:21 PM)gofish435 Wrote: It Looks like the live wells are not part of the mandatory 30 day dry time. Smile

I wish you were right but this is the new rule that we all have to agree to in order to get yearly certification.

(07-02-2023, 10:03 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: But "or other raw water systems" might apply to live wells, no?

If your boat is equipped with a ‘lake water’ wash down hose/pump then you would fall in to the ‘complex system’ rule for having a ’raw water system’.

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow, I'm glad I don't fish Powell, if that's the case, that's a crazy new law, I wonder if it's a mistake. Guess I'll have to call them again.