Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I finally figured the Utah AIS changes out – I think.
(08-14-2023, 03:58 PM)Gone Forever Wrote:
(08-11-2023, 06:25 PM)MrShane Wrote:
(08-10-2023, 08:18 PM)dubob Wrote:
(08-09-2023, 07:13 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Thanks for that thorough explanation.  Here's how it went down for me.
My registration ends on July 31, 2023.  I took my AIS test last week and passed it then printed out a certificate.  I then went on line and renewed my boat registration until 7/31/24 and paid my registration and tax to the DMV and was notified by E-mail that my stickers would be coming through snail mail and just which stickers are coming.
I don't remember paying for my AIS ($20) anywhere in the process although I have a receipt dated Jan 3rd 2023 that I have paid my fee. Why the date of the receipt is that and not Aug 8, 2023 is beyond me.
So, I have;
A renewed registration temporary receipt with stickers on the way. from DMV
2, receipts showing that my vessel is registered with the AIS program for 2023. One for tow vehicle, one for vessel.
My certificate of passing the AIS exam.
Hope to get out on Friday morning, either EC, Jordy or Echo.
Please let us know what decals (stickers) you get that will be attached to your boat (vessel).

Bob, I received my sticker the other day and put it on my boat.
The State wants it on the port side, 6” behind the last decal of your bow number.
It is the same size as the yearly registration number.
Black letters on white sticker.
I talked to the AIS program manager a few days ago and asked if next year we could have an additional sticker ( they cost 46 cents each) for our trailers and then not have to deal with any paperwork on your dash.
I suggested we put them on trailer 6” behind ball coupler ( or as close as possible) so any LEO in the booth can see both stickers very quickly while entering/leaving a launch area. This way a LEO does not even have to get out of truck to look on dash if doing a parking lot drive by.
He said he would think about it. His concern of a trailer sticker was that it might weather too quickly by being dunked in water.
I told him if your coupler is in the water something drastic most likely went wrong.
He said he would think about it.
6" behind the last #... more Bovine Excrement...instead of right next to the registration sticker in a high contrasting base color so the fish cops could easily see both simultaneously, using the very expensive image stabilizing binoculars we bought for them, and only have to identify if the correct colors are present. All registrations and AIS would begin and end on say...Jan 31 of each year.
Now don’t go making it too simple Bob, 
I was just trying to make it medium simple!
I totally agree 100% one sticker, on the boat, should be all that is required.
Somehow, someone, somewhere thinks there needs to be a paper on your dash to prove you have a sticker on your boat.
I just don’t get it, this could be soooo much more simple for all of us.
(08-09-2023, 09:01 PM)2knots Wrote:
(08-09-2023, 07:13 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Thanks for that thorough explanation.  Here's how it went down for me.
My registration ends on July 31, 2023.  I took my AIS test last week and passed it then printed out a certificate.  I then went on line and renewed my boat registration until 7/31/24 and paid my registration and tax to the DMV and was notified by E-mail that my stickers would be coming through snail mail and just which stickers are coming.
I don't remember paying for my AIS ($20) anywhere in the process although I have a receipt dated Jan 3rd 2023 that I have paid my fee. Why the date of the receipt is that and not Aug 8, 2023 is beyond me.
So, I have;
2, receipts showing that my vessel is registered with the AIS program for 2023. One for tow vehicle, one for vessel.

I had to purchase my AIS decal on the AIS site but I had my certificate from taking it in January, so maybe when you took the test you paid for it then?
Where did you have to go to "purchase" your AIS sticker?  Our esteemed government employees managed to NOT send an AIS sticker as was promised so now I will have to take my receipt to wherever they have them and get one.  What are we paying for? I hope they don't expect me to be cheery about this, because I won't be.

(08-15-2023, 01:47 AM)Gone Forever Wrote:
So, I have;

I had to purchase my AIS decal on the AIS site but I had my certificate from taking it in January, so maybe when you took the test you paid for it then?
Where did you have to go to "purchase" your AIS sticker?  Our esteemed government employees managed to NOT send an AIS sticker as was promised so now I will have to take my receipt to wherever they have them and get one.  What are we paying for? I hope they don't expect me to be cheery about this, because I won't be.
(08-15-2023, 01:47 AM)Gone Forever Wrote:
So, I have;

No disrespect intended or implied, but from your original description, I thought maybe you would NOT get the AIS decal because you said you didn't remember paying the $20 fee which didn't become a requirement until July 1, 2023.  I also wondered why you took the on-line course on Jan 3, 2023 and then again in July.  The certificate from Jan 3 is good until Dec 31, 2023.  I'm guessing that the receipt from Jan 3, 2023 does NOT show specifically that you paid $20 for the AIS decal because it didn't become a requirement until Jul 1, 2023.  If you didn't opt to pay that $20 fee when you retook the online course in July, I'm guessing that you still owe the $20 for the decal and will have to pay it when you next contact the DMV.  Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.  Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I renewed last week and the guy @ the DMV knew nothing of an AIS decal or fee??
(09-04-2023, 10:09 PM)Redrebel Wrote: I renewed last week and the guy @ the DMV knew nothing of an AIS decal or fee??

My guess is the reason they don't know anything about it is, the new change won't be unforced until the first of the year. Most people take the AIS test at the beginning of the year or at least before the change went into effect. Either that or the DWR never cleared this with the DMV, so they don't know about the change Undecided
(09-04-2023, 10:09 PM)Redrebel Wrote: I renewed last week and the guy @ the DMV knew nothing of an AIS decal or fee??
No disrespect intended or implied, but did you ask to speak with a supervisor at the DMV?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(09-05-2023, 01:29 PM)dubob Wrote:
No disrespect intended or implied, but did you ask to speak with a supervisor at the DMV?

I didn’t, I was in the drive through.
(09-06-2023, 01:58 AM)Redrebel Wrote:
(09-05-2023, 01:29 PM)dubob Wrote:

I didn’t, I was in the drive through.

[Image: Thumb-Up.jpg]
Bob Hicks, from Utah