Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fligging at Willard.
(08-15-2023, 12:28 AM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(08-14-2023, 09:56 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(08-14-2023, 08:06 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:    Curt, I was just out at WB today (14 Aug). Launched from the south marina.  The overall water level looks to maybe have dropped about 1 to 2 feet by the water mark on the jetty walls going out the south channel.  But the boat basin and the channel are still plenty deep for most of us fishing fellows. Maybe starting to get a little iffy right at the launch ramps for some of the bigger power squadron boats. The 20 to 23 footers I saw launching today as I was leaving didn't seem to be having any problems. 

First of all...how was the fishing?  Secondly, did you try fishing in the channel at all?  It can be productive at times this time of year.

Is it legal to take a boat up the channel?
Nope.  But I have made good catches of all species from the buoy all the way out the channel.  But every trip is different.  Some days they are in...others, not.  And it can change during the day.  Might be good or bad early in the morning and then bad or good later.  But usually worth a try.  

I catch mostly cats inside the channel,  but I have also caught lots of wipers, crappies and walleyes there too.  I almost always start at he buoy and watch my sonar screen.  If I see fish I drag a baited flig on one rod and cast plastic or cranks on the other.  I have had mornings when I never had to leave the channel to get all the fun I could stand.  

And, about the boats in the channel thing.  I have taken my float tube clear up to the baffles in times past...before I motorized my tube.  But even after putting a trolling motor on it I have fished a ways up past the buoy and have been observed by the rangers without them chasing me out.