Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regulation Changes
The problem with most of these kinds of discussions is that most of them are blanket discussions without taking into consideration the conditions under which the fish was caught and what species of fish is being considered.  In this discussion, the species considered for the most part are cutthroat, brown, and cutbow trout.  The Idaho fisheries folks have studied this lake in depth and have determined that the mortality rate of caught and released fish is low.  End of discussion.

If you want to talk about other species in other water bodies, then there might be a different outcome.  Blanket statements about the impact of C&R without specifying the conditions and fish species don't cut it - in my humble opinion.  But I do side with obi on his opinion about Henry's.   Big Grin    
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(09-20-2023, 06:01 PM)DjHill16 Wrote: Hey guys I'm considering trying to get Utah to allow a five rod limit while ice fishing like Idaho and Wyoming allow. I am thinking that it would apply more to our trout lakes such as Causey, Porky, Bear Lake, etc. and not so much our panfish lakes like Newton and Mantua. So for example places like Henrys and the gorge allow multiple rods while ice fishing but they are primarily trout lakes. I can't speak for lakes south of cache valley and how this change would benefit or hurt them. Do you guys think this is something worth chasing and working on or what is your opinion on the matter?

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]5 poles seems like an arbitrary number. why not 10? That being said...I have had days where I can barely keep up with the fish on 2 rods, 5 would be chaos. Gotta admit, not a fan.[/font]
(09-25-2023, 09:50 PM)chubby chaser Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 06:01 PM)DjHill16 Wrote: Hey guys I'm considering trying to get Utah to allow a five rod limit while ice fishing like Idaho and Wyoming allow. I am thinking that it would apply more to our trout lakes such as Causey, Porky, Bear Lake, etc. and not so much our panfish lakes like Newton and Mantua. So for example places like Henrys and the gorge allow multiple rods while ice fishing but they are primarily trout lakes. I can't speak for lakes south of cache valley and how this change would benefit or hurt them. Do you guys think this is something worth chasing and working on or what is your opinion on the matter?

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]5 poles seems like an arbitrary number. why not 10? That being said...I have had days where I can barely keep up with the fish on 2 rods, 5 would be chaos. Gotta admit, not a fan.[/font]

My point is that, no matter how many lines is permitted that a skilled angler with one rod will out fish people with multiple lines no matter how many lines they have. A few more lines will not impact the fishery. You can only maintain so many holes from icing up at some point there is no advantage to fishing multiple holes so let people try they will not out fish one hole with someone who knows what they are doing. If they catch a few more fish they are not going to impact the fishery. There are daily limits for possession that will limit the number of fish kept.Catch and release fishing had proven through study’s have been proven not to impact fishery’s.
4 poles sounds good to me!  More opertunity to try different depths, jigs, bait, etc.
(09-26-2023, 12:37 PM)percheye Wrote: 4 poles sounds good to me!  More opportunity to try different depths, jigs, bait, etc.

That's how I look at as well and if you have a string of ice rods you can find the location of the fish faster. Once you find them then you could use just two or one if you like. We have all seen it before, you are fishing one location, then someone comes in a sets up just twenty yards away and starts catching them and you think, if I had just set up in that location or had my rods spread out more. As others have said, if the location you pick is a good one, then just having two poles is all we can handle but how often does that happen Undecided
I go way back with getting regs changed; year round fishing, state wide ice fishing, two rods, increased striper limit at Powell. While it would be nice to have more rods catfishing or crappie fishing ( spider rigging) there are good reasons as expressed by Chris Penne to NOT increase the number of rods used. I think that we should concentrate on increasing our skill level rather than the number of rods we use !!