Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 mussel aware test
(01-04-2024, 04:07 PM)AIS_krystal Wrote: Hello, my name is Krystal Tucker and I work at the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources in the AIS section of Law Enforcement. A friend brought this post to my attention and I'd like to clear up some of the confusion surrounding our process. The way AIS fees were collected changed last year due to legislative law after the Coast Guard stopped multiple state agencies from wrapping AIS fees into DMV registrations for boats. Now, the DWR collects the AIS money separately from your boat registration.

The AIS annual exam and decal are good from Jan 1-Dec 31 of each year and are separate from your DMV registration tags, meaning that if you wished to boat on a waterbody now, you'd need to do the exam and pay the fee and receive your paperwork. There is a lag time between getting your decal through the mail, so your registration paperwork is your proof of purchase (this can be as simple as a copy of the receipt from the registration placed in your towing vehicle's dash and a screenshot of the receipt on your cell phone while you are recreating in the boat).

The annual exam and registration fee with decal is only applicable to motorized boats (not kayaks, paddleboards, or anything else without any type of motor attached) and is applicable to both residents and non-residents.

The reason why you have to have the registration receipt in your dash is to fulfill a separate law which states you must show proof of clean, drained, dry in the windshield of your towing vehicle. That has existed for multiple years and was achieved in the past by the single certificate forms we provided at the launch ramp areas or the (then optional) AIS awareness annual exam. That law didn't change and is still required.

Now, your registration receipt (which you can only receive by taking the now required annual exam) is your proof of clean, drain, dry of your boat. We wish to reduce the amount of paperwork you need to show which is why the decal is now required to be affixed to your boat. We would like to still see your annual exam and your registration receipt displayed in the dash, you may black out any personal information other than your full name and boat BOW number (such as your address or phone number).

I understand the confusion a new program can bring, and hope this helps to clear up any confusion. We at DWR are doing our best to quickly and efficiently bring this program up to speed with accurate and clear information. The confusion in this thread on certain portions of the process will be brought to my team's attention for remediation and I appreciate the honest feedback.

I understand this is very burdensome and was easier when it was captured in the DMV registration page. We appreciate the public's support and compliance as quagga and zebra mussels are a horribly invasive species that create fiscal and economic havoc in waterbodies and municipal water sources, and no one wants those to spread in Utah's waters.

Please see the following hyperlink for more information:  https://stdofthesea.utah.gov/

Feel free to private message me if you have further questions or concerns, and I can monitor this post thread as well. If I missed any questions, feel free to contact me.

Thank you for the opportunity,

Krystal

Thank you Krystal for taking the time to register on BFT and clarify this with all of us fisherman. It sure helps to have a point of contact along with some clarification on this for now. Hopefully the knuckle heads on the hill meeting here ina few weeks dont change things all around and find just one more way to get into our wallets!
(01-04-2024, 08:04 PM)RILEYFISH Wrote:
(01-04-2024, 04:07 PM)AIS_krystal Wrote: Hello, my name is Krystal Tucker and I work at the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources in the AIS section of Law Enforcement. A friend brought this post to my attention and I'd like to clear up some of the confusion surrounding our process. The way AIS fees were collected changed last year due to legislative law after the Coast Guard stopped multiple state agencies from wrapping AIS fees into DMV registrations for boats. Now, the DWR collects the AIS money separately from your boat registration.

The AIS annual exam and decal are good from Jan 1-Dec 31 of each year and are separate from your DMV registration tags, meaning that if you wished to boat on a waterbody now, you'd need to do the exam and pay the fee and receive your paperwork. There is a lag time between getting your decal through the mail, so your registration paperwork is your proof of purchase (this can be as simple as a copy of the receipt from the registration placed in your towing vehicle's dash and a screenshot of the receipt on your cell phone while you are recreating in the boat).

The annual exam and registration fee with decal is only applicable to motorized boats (not kayaks, paddleboards, or anything else without any type of motor attached) and is applicable to both residents and non-residents.

The reason why you have to have the registration receipt in your dash is to fulfill a separate law which states you must show proof of clean, drained, dry in the windshield of your towing vehicle. That has existed for multiple years and was achieved in the past by the single certificate forms we provided at the launch ramp areas or the (then optional) AIS awareness annual exam. That law didn't change and is still required.

Now, your registration receipt (which you can only receive by taking the now required annual exam) is your proof of clean, drain, dry of your boat. We wish to reduce the amount of paperwork you need to show which is why the decal is now required to be affixed to your boat. We would like to still see your annual exam and your registration receipt displayed in the dash, you may black out any personal information other than your full name and boat BOW number (such as your address or phone number).

I understand the confusion a new program can bring, and hope this helps to clear up any confusion. We at DWR are doing our best to quickly and efficiently bring this program up to speed with accurate and clear information. The confusion in this thread on certain portions of the process will be brought to my team's attention for remediation and I appreciate the honest feedback.

I understand this is very burdensome and was easier when it was captured in the DMV registration page. We appreciate the public's support and compliance as quagga and zebra mussels are a horribly invasive species that create fiscal and economic havoc in waterbodies and municipal water sources, and no one wants those to spread in Utah's waters.

Please see the following hyperlink for more information:  https://stdofthesea.utah.gov/

Feel free to private message me if you have further questions or concerns, and I can monitor this post thread as well. If I missed any questions, feel free to contact me.

Thank you for the opportunity,

Krystal

Thank you Krystal for taking the time to register on BFT and clarify this with all of us fisherman. It sure helps to have a point of contact along with some clarification on this for now. Hopefully the knuckle heads on the hill meeting here ina few weeks dont change things all around and find just one more way to get into our wallets!
I'm still not clear why need to display both annual exam certificate and your AIS registration receipt displayed in the dash when the AIS registration can only be attained after passing the exam and hence is proof of clean drain dry?  I would also think that once the AIS sticker is affixed to boat onboard paperwork would not be needed.  I can understand that the exam certificate be displayed on dash and carried on vessels not requiring the AIS registration.
Is there anything for public comment on this subject it seems like there are a lot of hoops to jump through in Utah were in other states it's as easy as buying a sticker and stopping at check points.
Well, at the start of this Utah went with relying on mandatory education with no fees. Now Utah instigated a fee while continuing to mandate education although the test this year was rather a joke.

The AIS regs and fees are so mixed up and crazy here in the west it is a real pain to sort out if you travel. How come the midwest states with all there water (and also AIS issues) do not have all these regs?
(01-04-2024, 09:50 PM)smokepoles Wrote: Well, at the start of this Utah went with relying on mandatory education with no fees.  Now Utah instigated a fee while continuing to mandate education although the test this year was rather a joke. 

The AIS regs and fees are so mixed up and crazy here in the west it is a real pain to sort out if you travel.  How come the midwest states with all there water (and also AIS issues) do not have all these regs?

Probably because Utah is trying to keep the mussels from spreading.  The midwest states likely have given up on trying to keep it from spreading (it has already spread far and wide).
Krystal,
Could you please help us understand how/why non-motorized watercraft (“If it floats, it’s a boat”) are not a “boat” and are incapable of spreading an invasive specie?
(01-05-2024, 03:16 PM)MrShane Wrote: Krystal,
Could you please help us understand how/why non-motorized watercraft (“If it floats, it’s a boat”) are not a “boat” and are incapable of spreading an invasive specie?

I don't think she said they are "incapable" of spreading invasive species.  I think she said less likely and that's because motors of whatever kind typically use water from the lake for cooling.  Some of that water gets caught in the motor, no matter how much you dry it. 

If you don't have a motor, you don't have any water in the boat from the place you just left. 

I was a certified WY boat checker for a while.  I'm not 100% sure that's the reasoning but that's my guess. 

The more cynical side of me says that a motor is a distinction between whether a boat is taxable and registered or not and so for their administrative convenience (read - able to collect fees from owners based on knowing who they are and vitals about their boat), anything that has a motor and floats is a boat.  This is clearly about money.  And if anyone thinks it's going to stay at $20 for any length of time, think again.
100% agree.  I've been asking my legislators the same thing for several years now with absolutely no success.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(01-05-2024, 05:03 PM)BoatBallast Wrote:

I don't think she said they are "incapable" of spreading invasive species.  I think she said less likely and that's because motors of whatever kind typically use water from the lake for cooling.  Some of that water gets caught in the motor, no matter how much you dry it. 

If you don't have a motor, you don't have any water in the boat from the place you just left. 

I was a certified WY boat checker for a while.  I'm not 100% sure that's the reasoning but that's my guess. 

The more cynical side of me says that a motor is a distinction between whether a boat is taxable and registered or not and so for their administrative convenience (read - able to collect fees from owners based on knowing who they are and vitals about their boat), anything that has a motor and floats is a boat.  This is clearly about money.  And if anyone thinks it's going to stay at $20 for any length of time, think again.
By the act of the State not charging an AIS fee to non-motorized boats, they are in essence saying a non-motorized boat is incapable of spreading an AIS.
A boat with an outboard engine is much less likely to spread an AIS than a wake boat with internal ballast bladders, but ‘they’ and ‘us’ pay the same $20 fee.
It is time that ANY and ALL watercraft that float shares the cost equally to protect our waters.
And yes, I also include the SUP’s that sit on a beach at Powell/Mead for days and then get used in a clean water a day or two later.
Remember, the State says “If it floats, it IS a boat”.

P.S. I will make a deal with the State!
I will pay my $20 towards AIS protection and quit complaining that non-motorized boats don’t need to help keep our waters AIS free, BUT, as long as my boat has a current Utah registration sticker on it I don’t have to pay to use the ramp I already paid for with my registration fees.
No different than a legally registered car using public roads.
Deal?
A few things were mentioned I'd like to address.

-If it "floats, it's a boat" and non-motorized boats still have to follow all AIS rules and regulations that are relevant to them. They are still capable of transporting water with mussel veliger's as well as adult attached mussels. The risk is less than a motorized cabin cruiser/houseboat/wakeboard boat but still there when they take it to an infected waterbody.
-Currently, the decal and vessel enrollment program as defined by the legislature only applies to motorized boats.
-We are working towards using only your enrollment paper as your proof of purchase but for now, please display both that and your education certificate on your dash
-We are working on a better system to explain AIS rules and regs for the public but that is not ready yet.
-Once you have your decal, that is your proof of purchase on the boat after you launched. I personally prefer having screenshots of my proof of purchase, but that's not required once decal is affixed. You will still need a copy of the enrollment receipt on your towing dash windshield.
-The Regional Advisory Council (RAC) and Wildlife Board are a place to bring these items to public attention, but you may always contact the DWR for feedback as well as your local Representatives.

Thank you,
(01-05-2024, 05:30 PM)MrShane Wrote:

By the act of the State not charging an AIS fee to non-motorized boats, they are in essence saying a non-motorized boat is incapable of spreading an AIS.
A boat with an outboard engine is much less likely to spread an AIS than a wake boat with internal ballast bladders, but ‘they’ and ‘us’ pay the same $20 fee.
It is time that ANY and ALL watercraft that float shares the cost equally to protect our waters.
And yes, I also include the SUP’s that sit on a beach at Powell/Mead for days and then get used in a clean water a day or two later.

I will pay my $20 towards AIS protection and quit complaining that non-motorized boats don’t need to help keep our waters AIS free, BUT, as long as my boat has a current Utah registration sticker on it I don’t have to pay to use the ramp I already paid for with my registration fees.
Deal?

I disagree.  I think they can say they aren't charging non-motorized boats because the risk is substantially reduced.  I don't think anyone has to make the logical leap that they believe boats without a motor are incapable of spreading AIS. 

You still have the registration and compliance problem.  And, I'm not saying I don't agree with your complaints.  I'm just saying the state is going after the people with the money to give them.  If you have a boat, you have money to give them.

Again, I may be cynical.  But, I don't think I'm wrong.
(01-06-2024, 02:54 AM)BoatBallast Wrote:

Deal?

I disagree.  I think they can say they aren't charging non-motorized boats because the risk is substantially reduced.  I don't think anyone has to make the logical leap that they believe boats without a motor are incapable of spreading AIS. 

You still have the registration and compliance problem.  And, I'm not saying I don't agree with your complaints.  I'm just saying the state is going after the people with the money to give them.  If you have a boat, you have money to give them.

Krystal,
Please help us to help you by explaining why the AIS Division of Utah, the governing agency formed to help protect our waters, and please explain why only motorized watercraft are responsible to fund the AIS program.
And if it truly is based on the probability that an engine is more likely to carry contaminated water, why are boats with internal ballast tanks AND an engine are not charged double?
It takes almost triple the time of DWR resources to decon a surf boat than a fishing boat with simple outboard.
(01-06-2024, 03:51 AM)MrShane Wrote:
(01-06-2024, 02:54 AM)BoatBallast Wrote:

Deal?

Krystal,
Please help us to help you by explaining why the AIS Division of Utah, the governing agency formed to help protect our waters, and please explain why only motorized watercraft are responsible to fund the AIS program.
And if it truly is based on the probability that an engine is more likely to carry contaminated water, why are boats with internal ballast tanks AND an engine are not charged double?
It takes almost triple the time of DWR resources to decon a surf boat than a fishing boat with simple outboard.

Because the legislature didn't write the law that way.  The DWR can't just make up whatever fees they want to.  The legislature decided to charge everyone the same fee, ballast tanks or not and probably because boats are registered with motors by horsepower, ballast tanks aren't so they don't know who does and does not have a ballast tank for fee purposes.
just received my new AIS sticker for 2024...IT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE 2023 ! only difference is the set of numbers (005770 2023 , 010860 2024 ) that's printed on it so how are the people monitoring this going to know if a person has re-upped or not ? the paper i received with the sticker states it's good till 12/31/2024 but i thought the whole idea was that they could just look thru binoculars at boats to see if they have their stickers seems the only way they can verify is to ask for the paper that comes with the sticker .....
I too just received my Utah AIS decal, also received my Wyoming decal-no test required, only inspections.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
[Image: IMG-1083.jpg]
I received my AIS decal today as well, however it appears to be a 2023 decal instead of a 2024 decal. The letter that came with says it expires 12/31/24. ???
(01-09-2024, 01:18 AM)brookie Wrote: I received my AIS decal today as well, however it appears to be a 2023 decal instead of a 2024 decal. The letter that came with says it expires 12/31/24. ???

Well that's a bummer, I wonder if they just sent you the wrong one Undecided, have you called them ?
Not yet, in the morning.
(01-09-2024, 03:21 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 01:18 AM)brookie Wrote: I received my AIS decal today as well, however it appears to be a 2023 decal instead of a 2024 decal. The letter that came with says it expires 12/31/24. ???

Well that's a bummer, I wonder if they just sent you the wrong one Undecided, have you called them ?

I received my AIS sticker today.  The sticker says '2023' although the included letter says food until 12/31/2024.   What gives - do I need to carry the letter in boat?  Krystal??
(01-09-2024, 03:21 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I know 2 others that got the same sticker”2023”