Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snow Squall
Fresh layer 5" powder at my house this morning Wednesday and still snowing heavy. Normally I would be out early clearing paths but have a 0830 appointment at Davis North Hospital. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Yesterday, I warmed up my truck and cleaned it off so I can use it for my 0830 appt. I left at 0730 allowing travel time, boy was I way off on this. I decided to avoid I-15 with all its snail pace crawl, the snow was dumping quite heavily. Instead, I used the 1900 frontage road parallel to I-15 from 2700N. By the time I reached the 400N intersection in Farr West traffic was backed up. Traffic was at a stop & go from that point on all the way into 5600 in Roy. Those who were making left turns onto 1900 from many of the side streets would bog down traffic by running red lights clogging/stopping in the middle of intersections. The 1900 traffic was unable to move on green light so we sat thru 2-4 light changes before anything could move and only 3-4 vehicles got thru before red light occurs. For me sitting in line from a far distance I never experienced going thru 40-50+ light changes like this at one signal. This happened at several traffic signals. Also, whenever I could view I-15 from the frontage road I could see traffic backed up & stalled, it didn't matter what route to take. At 0815 I called ahead to my appt which I was locked in traffic nearing West Haven informing them I was not going to make it to my appt time but was enroute. They said just show up as they were receiving cancellations & they can get me in still. At 1000 I finally pulled into the parking lot of Davis North Hosp. What normally would take 15-20min to reach DNH took 2½hrs. At 1130 I was homeward bound with an additional 2"+ on my truck, took I-15 & clear sailing. By the time I got home there was a foot of snow on my driveway. 

I witnessed a few ungrateful drivers that didn't belong out in these conditions with their road rage mentality. Witnessed a few slide offs where anxious travelers trying to pass or getting ahead. Also, saw one low profile car merging from a parking lot from the right about 4 vehicles ahead of me at ramming speed to break thru a snowbank T-boning something bigger than he was, a dump truck. Do I need to say who lost that battle. Idiots out in force!
BE SAFE ALL
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I hate traveling in conditions like that but this time of the year there is little you can do if you have an appointment. So how much snow did you end up getting Roger? We only got 5".
(01-18-2024, 03:24 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I hate traveling in conditions like that but this time of the year there is little you can do if you have an appointment. So how much snow did you end up getting Roger? We only got 5".

When finally getting home I found there was near a foot of snow. In the travel to the hospital snow would come down in big flakes piling up on my truck. I was thinking we were getting some lake effect squalls.  When I walked out to my truck which was way out from entrance, I looked like Frosty the Snowman with the big flakes coming down. Also, my choice of cancellation would require a $25 fee. Thats an AIS decal + a $5 cup of coffee.  Big Grin  
Harrisville UT
(01-16-2024, 03:19 PM)Bduck Wrote: After doing 2+ driveways with my walk behind back & knees would ache with severe pain. 
HINT: You're getting OLD Roger.  Welcome to the group.    Wink
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(01-22-2024, 01:56 PM)dubob Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 03:19 PM)Bduck Wrote: After doing 2+ driveways with my walk behind back & knees would ache with severe pain. 
HINT: You're getting OLD Roger.  Welcome to the group.    Wink

Bob, thanks for the hint. I retired from DOD with built in achy conditions, cold & aging is not helpful. I just crossed the threshold of a new decade with age 2wks ago at 70. Been gingerly working at life struggles at this point. This is my home and I'm sticking to it. Warmer weather & soft water is my goal. 
Harrisville UT