Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muskies in Fish Lake
yeah and thats the way it should be.. a great big pike fishery!!

but hey there is a lake just up stream from yuba just screeming out to the DWR to put walleye,bass,perch,cat fish, somekind of fish at all!! it would do just as well as yuba if they could keep some water in it..

gunnson res just below manti..
at one time there was 28 lb cats in there 2 lbs perch,10 lbs LMbass,and of corse 20 lb carp.. now? maybe about a bilzillon flathead minnows.. and some carp..

now thats a wast to me..
[signature]
SO do you need steel leader to catch em.
[signature]
nope you only need steel leaders if you want to land one.. catching them is a snap.. well thats what you well hear if there teeth touch your mono line that is..
[signature]
Yuba has some nice camp out areas in either the painted rocks or state park side.
[signature]
[center][font "Arial,geneva,helvetica"]From Prettyman's Tight Lines column [/font][/center] [center][font "Arial,geneva,helvetica"][/font] [/center] [center][font "Arial,geneva,helvetica"][/font] [/center] [center][font "Arial,geneva,helvetica"]Salt Lake Tribune, The (UT)[/font]
[/center]
[font "Arial,geneva,helvetica"][size 2]Date: July 28, 2005[/size][/font]
[font "Arial,geneva,helvetica"][size 2]Section: Thursday[/size][/font]
[font "Arial,geneva,helvetica"][size 2]Edition: Final[/size][/font]
[font "Arial,geneva,helvetica"][size 2]Page: D3[/size][/font]

[font "Arial,geneva,helvetica"][size 2]

[size 4][/size]Tiger at Fish Lake
Dale Hepworth, aquatic director for the Division of Wildlife Resources' southern region, confirmed reports of a tiger muskie being landed at Fish Lake last weekend.
He said it was not the first tiger to show up on an angler's line at one of Utah's premier trout fisheries.
"There have been a few others caught in the last year or two," he said. "Evidently some of the tiger muskie that are stocked in Johnson Reservoir manage to swim upstream and get past the headgate on the small dam that backs up water in Fish Lake."
Tiger muskie are a hybrid between a muskellunge and a northern pike. They are aggressive predators, but sterile, so reproduction is not possible.
Any tigers making the trip to Fish Lake will find a plethora of stunted perch to munch, but Hepworth says there are no plans to create a muskie fishery at the popular destination.
"A few of these fish will not be a problem. A lot of them would cause a big impact on the trout fishery, and to actually stock them would likely mean that the trout fishery would be discontinued, so that is not something we want," he said. "This is another reason why sterile fish are being used more and more in fishery management."
brettp@sltrib.com[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3][font "Verdana"][#000000][size 1]
Quote:[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3][font "Verdana"][#000000][size 1]sorry to all the walleye fishermen expecting Yuba to be a walleye fishery again in the future...I think it's going to be a pike fishery! [/size][/#000000][/font]
[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[/size][/#000000][/font][/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Tiger Trout dont grow very large do they?
[signature]
[reply]
sorry to all the walleye fishermen expecting Yuba to be a walleye fishery again in the future...I think it's going to be a pike fishery! [/reply]
[signature]
Go up to huntington and just hook up to a 15 incher and see how hard they fight! [Wink] I dont know how big they can get but i have caught up to 20 inchers and what a fight! I hope they get bigger than that imagine hooking a 26 incher that would be awesome!
[signature]
State record Tiger Trout is:

27" long, 7 lb 9 oz. Taken off the Boulder Mtn.

The Catch and Release record is 23".

Yes, they get big.
[signature]
Okay, so the Tigers are real fighters, nice to real in. I would not have thought that, Trout generally dont give much of a fight. I have reeled in some smaller ones and did not even know I had hooked anything. Even the bigger Rainbows dont put up that much fight. Are those Tiger like the catchiong Bass or what?
[signature]
Tigers fight hard! The yuba bows fight harder than the cutts and bows i have caught out of scofiled and the berry.They feed mostly on those minnows there so maybe thats why they are stronger maybe TD can shed some light on why they fight hard.Go up to huntington and hookup with a tiger and experience for yourself how well they put up a fight.I jig spoons for them and the first time i hooked one up i thought i had a snag till it pulled line from my reel.
[signature]
That sounds awesome, I can imagine the feeling. Thinking you have a snag then,, bam you got a fish...thats the best. Ill check it out.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I will definitely agree about the bows in Yuba being hard fighters. I had a couple of days there last fall when I caught several between 3 and 6 pounds. Almost every fish came out of the water more than once and none of them gave up without several minutes of slugging it out. A couple of the larger fish took of on long runs, peeling yards of line off the drag. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have caught quite a few steelhead along the Pacific coast and the Yuba bows come as close to steelhead as any trout I have ever caught.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am sure the high protein diet (fathead minnows) helps them store up a lot of energy. It is always interesting to compare the feeding and fighting characteristics of the same species of fish in different waters. Water temps and water chemistry can play a role too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As a species the tiger trout seem to be rated pretty high as fighters wherever they are found. It must be their brown trout side of the family because brookies are not widely known for being very tough. Pretty, good eating and fun to catch...but not tough.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
This thread kind of morphed from tiger musky to tiger trout. Being from Wisconsin, tiger muskies were a big part of fishing and fishing lore. They are voracious eaters and not much (including small mammals and birds) are outside of their diet. I've got stories but will save for another time. Fish Lake muskies will find easy pickings of perch and also Fish Lake has it's fair share of suckers - some of which are huge. In many states (not in Utah) live suckers are a favorite bait especially in the late autumn when water temps drop and the musky become lethargic. Metal snells and leaders of about 18" long are used to lip the suckers and simply drop them to the bottom. To the extent that northern pike love weedy bottom conditions, so do the muskies and Fish Lake's south end ought to be very good habitat. The larger Lake trout (Macs) usually don't share that same territory instead living and feeding in the 30 plus foot range for a great part of the year. One of the largest wall-hung muskies I've ever personally seen was caught on a walleye being brought in on a jig which was subsequently eaten by a musky during the battle. This fish (about 35 lbs) was fought on the walleye rig for more than 1/2 hour before being bought to the boat. Nothing at all wrong with tiger trout, but TOTALLY different than tiger muskies.
[signature]
[reply]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have caught quite a few steelhead along the Pacific coast and the Yuba bows come as close to steelhead as any trout I have ever caught.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am sure the high protein diet (fathead minnows) helps them store up a lot of energy. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It must be their brown trout side of the family because brookies are not widely known for being very tough. Pretty, good eating and fun to catch...but not tough.[/#0000ff][/reply]

Tuberdude -- you NEED to go fish Minersville. NOTHING fights like a Minersville rainbow. If you enjoyed the rainbows at Yuba, you'll love the rainbows at Minersville. By the way, I don't think it has anything to do with fathead minnows. I'd be willing to bet if you looked at those bows in Yuba (just like Minersville) you'd find them full of zooplankton, and possibly small crayfish.

One other side-note -- Brook trout are very much known for their aggressive attitude, and fight. I think with Tiger Trout, you are combining a Bull (Brown Trout) with a Tasmainian Devil (Brook trout). One is just brute force. The other has a nasty attitude. The result, is a pissed off powerfull fish!

We know that it is possible for Tiger Musky to be in Fishlake. However, their numbers are going to be extremely minimal. My suggestion would be to go to Fishlake in search of the Lake Trout, Splake, Rainbow Trout, or Brown Trout. Then, you won't be disappointed when you don't catch one, and you will be happy if you do!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Last time I fished Minersville I was using a tandem fly rig and getting two chubs on every cast. I have heard that the bows are growing fast in there now and really are super fighters.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I plan to do a "southern sweep" sometime after the first of June. Definitely wanna hit Minersville, swing over for a growth check on the wipers at Newcastle and maybe a trip further west to play with some Sacramento perch at Pruess. Yuba might be first, just for the sake of comparison.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No argument on the aggressiveness of brookies. I have taken some bigguns in my native Idaho, and in some of the high lakes of California...as well as the Boulder Mountain ponds of old. They smack some big ugly flies and on a couple of lakes I had them all but swallowing the plastic bubbles I was using to cast flies on spinning gear.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, I have never had one "take air", nor have I had any run much line off the reel. They are bulldogs, though, and there ain't no other species purtier...especially in the fall.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]
[reply]
[/reply]

If you enjoyed the rainbows at Yuba, you'll love the rainbows at Minersville. By the way, I don't think it has anything to do with fathead minnows. I'd be willing to bet if you looked at those bows in Yuba (just like Minersville) you'd find them full of zooplankton, and possibly small crayfish.

I have been catching yuba bows constantly for the last 3 years and i can tell you for a fact that they eat the minnows in there.They even barf minnows when they are hooked!They have even had small perch in their bellies.As for their fighting i havent caught a trout from the berry ,scofield,fishlake and even tigers from huntington that fight as hard as a yuba bow of the same size.
[signature]
There is no doubt that the rainbows in Yuba use fathead minnows and small perch as a forage fish...BUT, I would be willing to bet that they only use these as forage fish during certain times of the year when their other food sources are limited. Rainbows are not voracious predators--even after they reach 20+ inches. The rainbows in Yuba were able to grow large and gain great girth because of the absence of numerous other fish with which they had to compete. Their staple diet and largest food source is almost certainly aquatic insects...as for how they fight, I am sure they are great fighters; they are exceptionally healthy fish. The situation at Minersville is very similar to Yuba...the lake is fresh off of being drained and is virtually void of other fish that the rainbows have to compete with. As a result, the rainbows in Minersville have a leg up on the chubs and are growing fat and very healthy...now that some of them are reaching that 20+ inch range, they will start using small chubs as a forage fish...BUT, the small chubs will not be their main food source.
[signature]