Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing line
I think you're right on with your accessment of the Cajun line. I have my Penn 990 Spooled up with it now. As far as over all performance, I'd say it's identical to Berkely Big Game; other than the trademark red color. However, I think the claims of the line being invisible underwater is a crock of crap. I posted about his not long ago. I actually looked at the line underwater with my snorkel on, and the red line stands out way more than some other colors. If I can see it, so can a fish. Personally, if you're worried about the fish seeing your line, you need to down size the line and use a color that mimics the water color and clarity. Personally, nothing beats a good ol' clear mono for it's camo'ing affect. I looked at all different colors while I was in the water. Dark green, for reason, seems to disappear at a short distance. I found that quite odd.
[signature]
That is why I use the Red for the deep down fishing. We are limited to a maximum of 60fms during the peak season. Down there, the fish don't worry much anyways.[cool]
[signature]
[cool] When I am crappie fishing I generally use a 11 ft Wally Marshall jig pole with 6 lb test line if the fish are deep. I like high vis so I can see the line.
When the crappie are spawning, I like to watch the bobber go under.
When I am bass fishing I use a 6 1/2 to 7 ft rod, 12 to 20lb test depending on the situation. I really like to fish a crankbait,spinnerbait, and a baby brushawg.
[signature]
Any idea how the lighter test measures up? I think they make a 4#.
[signature]
I have tested from 2lb all the way through 80lb. It seems like the lighter # test does not fall into the hidden category.

I watched a nice pack of Browns scatter even with 2lb. If you are using it for non line shy fish it works good. I have managed to convince some nice Bluegills, Red breasted Sunfish, Green Sunfish and Tilapia to take my baits with 2 and 4lb test.

I have also done good with the LMB on 4 and 6lb test. Although they did spook a little bit on the 17lb.

12, 15 and 17 has done good on Stripers and Cats.

I won't even begin to get into the Saltwater species. I have caught over 84 species of Saltwater fish on the Red line.[cool]
[signature]
[cool] I have been using Mr. Crappie 6 lb hi-vis on my jig poles and my ultra lite spinning. I just bought some Mr. Crappie (Wally Marshall) camo 6 lb test. haven't tried it yet. I have Pline on some of my bass fishing rigs. I like it very much.

Live To Fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
i have really never had any problems with plain old trilene XL.
[signature]
I never minded trilene xl, but thought that it was not as good as some of the smaller diameter lines which seemed to be more abrasion resistant and stronger for the same # test rating. But I haven't been that familiar with the newer lines, that's why I was asking. Hey, ya gotta go with what works for you. [cool]
[signature]
[crazy] I would recomend the Maxima UltraGreen for light line. It's super limp and very strong. I fish in the Skagit river with it and it holds up. Caught many big Dolly Vardens in the 5lb+ range with the 2lb Maxima line. My biggest catch to date was with the UltraGreen. I landed a 17lb (fresh) buck Chum salmon on the 2lb pound. Played it for 45 minutes but the line held up. Was fishing for Cuthroat it was awsome. Did just buy the red stuff though gonna give it a try.
[signature]
I'll check out the line,I just got into 2lb test,preety crazy but its fun!
I use 2lb fireline,and this Bionic ice FLUOROSILK fluorocarbon coated line.says its for ice fishing,no ice here but figure its more abrasive resistant[Wink]

The line is like mono but coated with fluoro[Smile],comes in 100yd

" Ice grey Glacer Gris" from Northland fishing tackle
[signature]
I was catching a boat load of huge carp on the river yesterday with the Chameleon 2lb I just got. Not as limp as the Ultragreen but stronger. All the fish were around 30-35 inches. Love ultralight fishing(well I use a light super fast action rod on the river).[Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]