Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trout Fishing Questions
Those plastic trout worms catch trout also, but one thing to remember with soft plastic lures is they don't work very well if they are just sitting on the bottom motionless. The Cut'r Bug and minnow for an example are very deadly when slowly reeling the bait giving it a swiming motion and lightly popping the rod tip several times to give the lure a darting motion like a fleeing or injured minnow, and then pause letting the lure sink for several seconds before continuing your retreave. It is no secret that Big Trout get big by eating minnows!
Good luck and good fishing!
James
[signature]
the best action ive had with plastics is vertical jigging, both through the ice and from the boat. when i do it from the boat i drop shot them to keep them vertical. through the ice it isnt necessary because youre not drifting... at least you hope you dont start drifting!

plastics that have a fluttering action when dropping, seem to work best for me. ive had far more success with the cut'r by maniac, i believe because of this action. ive caught plenty on other plastics, but the action those tails create is something else! here is a link showing my favorite...

[url "http://www.maniaccustomlures.com/webpages/cutrBugs.html"]http://www.maniaccustomlures.com/webpages/cutrBugs.html[/url]

ive used mostly the 1.5 inch cut'r bugs. my favorite color thus far is "crazy glow" i still cant believe how cheap they are, considering how well they work! james, you need to charge more... after i get re-supplied of course!

any plans to market jig heads in the future? i have a hard time finding jig heads with quality hooks... and im not ready to start pouring my own just yet.

anyways, those trout magnets should work fine too. make sure you give it some action and work on your presentation. with basic plastics it is entirely up to you to give the lure its action.

good luck!
[signature]
A friend of mine turned me on to kastmaster lures a couple of years ago and I have had excellent luck with those. You can purchase them in a variety of different colors/patterns and sizes. I tend to use them mostly in still water with a slow halting retrieve and they also work well vertically jigging.
[signature]
Thanks for all the kind words!
We have set the price low on these baits, and haven't increased the price for two years, but because of the rising cost of materials we will be adjusting prices on our lures in the near future.
All of our lures are made by us in the good old USA by fishermen!
We had planned on offering jig heads and Bass jigs this year, but have had too many other projects in the way of production. The jigs should be available by this winter.
I understand your frustration with poor quality hooks, that is why I have been making my own for twenty five plus years. There is alot of jig heads at your local stores that look good but have cheap hooks, the reason for cheap hooks is to lower manufacturing costs!
James
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Before I got into fly fishing I always had good success with power bait. In lakes using a Carolina rig setup worked quite well. On the river floating a smaller piece of PB with a small shot to get it down below the surface was met with good success. If I was too lazy a Mepps spinner or rooster tail also worked well.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
for those of us thinking of pouring our own jig heads... what hooks do you recommend? i was thinking of some gammi's. do they make a good size to work with your smaller cut'rs?
[signature]
Welcome aboard CoopersDesign. Thanks for helping out here on the forum. We appreciate and accept all comments and tips here.[cool]
[signature]
I have a catalog from Gamakatsu, but they don't have any jig hooks smaller than #2.
We are looking at offering Gamakatsu Hooks on our web site, I will call the Distributor and find out.
I have been using Eagle Claw jig hooks, but you need to sharpen them before you use them.
James
[signature]