Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
...equipment storage
...thank you for the clarification.. and I am sorry for not specifying breathable waders when I first posted.. and all of that leads me to...

when you clean and dry your waders.. do you hang them upside down or by the suspenders????

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Don't hang them. After use, if the feet are not dry, I will just leave them in my pontoon trailer and put them in my wader bag when I get home.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]You have probably noticed that your breathable waders are dry almost as soon as you leave the water. Only the neo. feet take a little longer to dry. I do not leave any of my equipment hanging or out in the open air.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
.... thank you... I know it does not take long for them to get dry once out of the water.. and once I wash/rinse them off... just want to make sure all is dry before packing them away... [Smile]

MacFly
[signature]
Please allow me to interject here. My first time offering my two cents worth.

I have Orvis Breathables with the neoprene feet as well. My old tube (Creek Company original Uboat) and the waders were all packed into a bag wet in sort of a ball. Immediately upoin return to home they were rinsed with the garden hose and hung to dry in my garage rafters (tube from the front handle and almost flat (mainly enough air to barely give it shape) and the waders from the suspenders 1/4" from the mounting point secured with as clothes pin). Once fully dry, (in about a day or two) I would store in the transport bag. Since I have a one car garage, with two vehicles, storage is at a premium, let alone what my wife says about everything hanging in the garage. We do not have the storage to keep them there long, thus why I need to put away.

My tube is two years old, and still looks virtually brand new. My wadders are about 8 years old and are well used, but still in great condition. I mainly used them in streams. I have never washed them either. The wadders are rolled up when stored in the carry bag with other clothing. I have not ever sprung a leak yet!

I hope this helps. Maybe you could hang them store - that would be my recommendation as that is exactly what I do.

-Eric Christy
[signature]
... you described my routine and situation (wife's opinion .. [Smile]) to a tee.. I fold my waders flat when putting them in the bag but that is the only difference from what you described..

.. from what I have gathered here with the replies received I am doing most things right.. I will probably do the washing thing once I get an answer from the manufacturer on it.. and also hanging them upside down .. other than that and making sure they are very dry before packing I am feeling more confident ...

.. MacFly [cool]
[signature]
...update.. I just got an email from the manufacturer of my waders.. they state that it is okay to use a washing machine on gentle/handwash cycle with mild detergent.. their only concern is the suspenders getting caught up in the agitator..

.. I figure that if I tie the suspenders in a small clump then they wont get caught in the agitator..

.. if this does not work then Ill just hand wash them.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I don't speak from a position of experience, but in my mind, a trip through the washing machine would be more wear and tear on the waders than wearing them for a considerable period of time.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I personally don't see a need for washing waders, other than to remove any possibility of transferring unwanted organisms from one water to another.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I think that a few washings would equate to a need for a new pair of waders.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
...that thought does pop into my mind.. but then I think of the wear and tear of washing them by hand instead.. concrete floor.. bristled brush.. etc..

I have not tried the machine yet but will say (or have said [Smile] ) that in between uses I do take the time to rinse/clean them so that I dont transport little wee beasties from one body of water to another..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Breathables are like skin. They get dirt in the pores. All manufacturers suggest you clean them periodically. I would think that the dirt build up although not seeable would be harder on them then washing them.

Thinking back to my high school "HIPPIE" if you want days. we would ash on new levis and rub it in to wear them out quicker and make them softer. Never thought about the stench, but oh well.
I am just saying once a year for most people is a good rule of thumb and is recommended.
I also know Simms has a spray on water repellent for Gortex they suggest applying on occasion.
Macfly, you did the right thing contacting your manufacturer because all waders are not created equal.
[signature]
...some wise woman I know told me to do that..... and for once I listened.. [Wink] ...

plus as of right now I have only worn the things twice.. .so I dont think there is much dirt accumulation.. unless you count sweaty fear... [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]