Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
night fishing state park fees
The parks do not set the fees...

Awhile back I posted about who was in charge for the wakeless water and fees, that is who you need to send any letters or comments to..I don't have his name now...
Maybe we need to some how save names of people and state places to send things like this to...
If it goes to the wrong place they will just throw it away...
[signature]
thanks bassrods. if i understand it right then there is a board which sets the fees at state parks. this board is appointed by the governor. the board is who this letter is intended for although i'm trying to come up with a list of others who may be interested. so far i have board member names but no contact info. i think i may be able to contact 1 of them so maybe through the 1 member i can get contact info for the rest of them. as soon as i find the contact info for the board i'll post it. i think you're right that keeping a list of state contacts could be helpful.
[signature]
here is the boards E-mail address! i have allready sent a copy of Moonburnt great letter to the board!

i urge everone on this site and even the lurkers.. and to tell anyone that likes to camp or owns a boat to send this letter to the board...

[url "mailto:parkcomment@utah.gov"]parkcomment@utah.gov[/url]

i'll see if there is a link or web site with the goveners E-mail address as well..
[signature]
The more who make comments about this mater the more they will lesson...
[signature]
there is the governor's web page and there is a send comment's area there.. just Cut and paste moonbernt letter in the comment's area and send..

[url "http://governor.utah.gov/goca/form_comment.html"]http://governor.utah.gov/goca/form_comment.html[/url]

this is a list of utah's Representatives.. will not hurt to light a little fire under them as well..

[left][url "http://bennett.senate.gov/contact/emailmain.html"][size 4]Robert F. Bennett[/size][/url]
[center][url "http://bennett.senate.gov/"][size 4]Home Page[/size][/url]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][size 2]
[center]Off: (202) 224-5444
Fax: (202) 228-1168
[/size][/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]
[center]
[/#000000][/font][Image: z_elephant.gif]
[left][url "http://hatch.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Offices.Contact"][size 4]Orrin G. Hatch[/size][/url]
[center][url "http://hatch.senate.gov/"][size 4]Home Page[/size][/url]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][size 2]
[center]Off: (202) 224-5251
Fax: (202) 224-6331
[/size][/#000000][/font]
[center]Representatives
[center]
[left](1) [url "http://www.house.gov/robbishop/contact/"][size 4]Rob Bishop[/size][/url]
[/#000000][/font]
[url "http://www.house.gov/robbishop/"][size 4]Home Page[/size][/url][size 2]Off: (202) 225-0453
Fax: (202) 225-5857
[/size][font "Times New Roman"][#000000]
[center]
[/#000000][/font][Image: z_donkey.gif]
[left](2) [url "http://www.house.gov/matheson/contact.shtml"][size 4]Jim Matheson[/size][/url]
[/#000000][/font]
[url "http://www.house.gov/matheson/"][size 4]Home Page[/size][/url][size 2]Off: (202) 225-3011
Fax: (202) 225-5638
[/size][font "Times New Roman"][#000000]
[center]
[left](3) [url "http://chriscannon.house.gov/email.htm"][size 4]Chris Cannon[/size][/url]
[/#000000][/font]
[url "http://chriscannon.house.gov/"][size 4]Home Page[/size][/url][size 2]Off: (202) 225-7751
Fax: (202) 225-5629
[/size]
[signature]
i'm glad you like the letter fuzzy. i'm not sure if the board will get the letter if it's sent to the [url "mailto:parkcomment@utah.gov"]parkcomment@utah.gov[/url] email address though. maybe if it's addressed to the board in the title? that email is the one i sent my original message to and the only response i got was from mike nealley. i've been trying to to find email addresses to the members of the board themselves, or maybe a group address for the board, but so far i haven't been able to find anything. i may just have to print the letter and snail mail it to state parks addressed to the board. here's a link to senators: [url "http://www.utahsenate.org/perl/roster2007.pl"]http://www.utahsenate.org/perl/roster2007.pl[/url] their email addresses are posted there. here's a link to the house of representitives with their email addresses as well: [url "http://www.le.state.ut.us/house/members2005/membertable1add.asp"]http://www.le.state.ut.us/house/members2005/membertable1add.asp[/url]

i may start another link with just the letter in it so people don't have to scroll through the whole conversation to get to it.
[signature]
Well written letter; however, for the greatest impact it would be best if everyone composed their own letter. Individual letters are given more weight than receiving the same letter repeatedly.
[signature]
I am the Park Manager at Willard Bay State Park. In our Fee Guidelines, the Park Manager has the ability to ask for special fees for certain special instances. This thread of comments has peaked my interest and I will be asking for special fee considerations for night fisherman. Mike Neeley is correct in his interpretation of the fee schedule. And this is very confusing to the field, and especially confusing to our summer time employees that most often work in our entrance stations.

At Willard Bay we have normally operated on these guidelines for night fisherman. If you enter the park prior to 10 pm and leave the park after midnight and are in your boat on the water you need one of three things: 1) a day use entrance permit for the day of arrival, and one for the day of departure ($20 - this stinks), 2) an annual pass, or 3) a boat camping permit ($15 - still stinks, but better than $20). So by far the best value is the annual pass.

The term boat camping is bad, perhaps it should be changed to overnight vehicle parking. But anyway, I will be making a proposal that overnight vehicle parking in designated areas be included with the annual pass or for a fee equal to the parks entrance fee.

Thanks and keep enjoying the many fishing, camping, picnicking opportunities that Utah has to offer.
[signature]
here is a copy of some of the rule's the state parks use and need to fallow when chargeing for public access to public lands and waters.. there is also contact # ..

Natural Resources
Parks and Recreation
1594 W NORTH TEMPLE
SALT LAKE CITY UT 84116-3154 Dee Guess at the above address, by phone at 801-538-7320, by FAX at 801-537-3144, or by Internet E-mail at deeguess@utah.gov

23-21-2.5. [b]Change in land use where a management plan is not in effect -- Notification to affected persons -- Compatibility with local government plans.[/b]
(1) If a management plan has not been adopted by the division director for a tract of land owned by the division, the division may not change any existing right to use the land until the division notifies those who may be affected by the change and local government officials.
(2) When changing any existing right to use the land, the division shall seek to make uses of division-owned land compatible with local government general plans and zoning and land use ordinances.
Enacted by Chapter 218, 1998 General Session

[b]23-21-4.[/b] [b]Right of access to lands for hunting, trapping, or fishing reserved to public -- Exception.[/b]
(1) Except as provided in Section 65A-2-5, there is reserved to the public the right of access to all lands owned by the state, including those lands lying below the official government meander line or high water line of navigable waters, for the purpose of hunting, trapping, or fishing.
(2) When any department or agency of the state leases or sells any lands belonging to the state of Utah lying below the official government meander line or the high water line of the navigable waters within the state, the lease, contract of sale, or deed shall contain a provision that:
(a) the lands shall be open to the public for the purpose of hunting, trapping, or fishing during the lawful season, except as provided by Section 65A-2-5; and
(b) no charge may be made by the lessee, contractee, or grantee to any person who desires to go upon the land for the purpose of hunting, trapping, or fishing.
(3) Lands referred to in this section shall be regulated or closed to hunting, trapping, or fishing as provided in this title for other lands and waters.
Amended by Chapter 156, 2000 General Session
[b]65A-2-4.[/b] [b]State land management plans -- Division to adopt rules for notifying and consulting with interested parties.[/b]
(1) The division shall adopt rules for notifying and consulting with interested parties including the general public, resources users, and federal, state, and local agencies on state land management plans.
(2) Division rules shall provide:
(a) for reasonable notice and comment periods; and
(b) that the division respond to all commenting parties and give the rationale for the acceptance or nonacceptance of the comments.
Amended by Chapter 294, 1994 General Session

65A-2-5. [b]Protection of leasehold interests.[/b]
The director of the Division of Forestry, Fire, and State Lands, in conjunction with the Wildlife Board, may restrict or limit public use of leased parcels of sovereign lands for hunting, trapping, or fishing:
(1) upon the petition of the affected lessee;
(2) after a public hearing; and
(3) upon a determination that unrestricted public use for hunting, trapping, or fishing substantially interferes with the primary activities authorized by the lease.
Enacted by Chapter 156, 2000 General Session

Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation
R651-611-4
Special Fees
NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULEDAR File No.: 29773
Filed: 04/02/2007, 03:47
Received by: NL
RULE ANALYSISPurpose of the rule or reason for the change:To better serve the needs of the recreating public and increase state revenue, two new golf passes would be added, i.e., one to Green River and PaliSade State Park golf courses, an annual Youth Golf Pass, answering inquiries by the local community for a pass that could be used by youth 16 years and under in summer when school is out; and an annual Soldier Hollow Golf Club Pass that would add a business class pass to Wasatch Mountain State Park's fee schedule for golf.
Summary of the rule or change:The annual Youth Golf Pass at Green River and PaliSade State Park golf courses would add a new generation of customers to the sport of golf, thus increasing state revenue. The Soldier Hollow Golf Club Pass would allow resort or businesses to purchase passes for their members, opening a new market for golf, while utilizing excess capacity at Soldier Hollow Golf Course at Wasatch Mountain State Park.
State statutory or constitutional authorization for this rule:Subsection 63-11-17(8)
Anticipated cost or savings to:the state budget:After a season passes, the Division will have a much more accurate idea of how much change there will be, but it appears the changes will be $15,000 for PaliSade and Green River and $10,000 for Soldier Hollow.
local governments:Maybe from the sale of golf balls, etc. but otherwise, there will be no anticipated cost or savings to local government.
other persons:The cost to other persons would be $150 for the annual Youth Golf Pass to golfers 16 years of age or younger. Those wishing to purchase a Soldier Hollow Golf Club Pass would pay $1,000 per year (including cart rental) with unlimited play. Both passes would be nontransferable.
Compliance costs for affected persons:The purchaser would pay $150 for the annual Youth Golf Pass. The purchaser would pay $1,000 for the annual Soldier Hollow Golf Club Pass.
Comments by the department head on the fiscal impact the rule may have on businesses:As this is the first season for these rule changes, there appears to be no impact on local businesses. Once a season is completed, the Division will have a better idea regarding impact on businesses. Michael Styler, Executive Director
The full text of this rule may be inspected, during regular business hours, at the Division of Administrative Rules, or at:Natural Resources
Parks and Recreation
1594 W NORTH TEMPLE
SALT LAKE CITY UT 84116-3154 Direct questions regarding this rule toBig Grinee Guess at the above address, by phone at 801-538-7320, by FAX at 801-537-3144, or by Internet E-mail at deeguess@utah.gov
Interested persons may present their views on this rule by submitting written comments to the address above no later than 5:00 p.m. on:05/15/2007
This rule may become effective on:05/22/2007
Authorized by:Mark Forbes, Deputy Director (Legislation)

RULE TEXT
R651. Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation.
R651-611. Fee Schedule.
R651-611-4. Special Fees.
A. Golf Course Fees
1. PaliSade rental and green fees.
a. Nine holes general public - weekends and holidays - $12.00
b. Nine holes weekdays (except holidays) - $10.00
c. Nine holes Jr/Sr weekdays (except holidays) - $8.00
d. 20 round card pass - $160.00
e. 20 round card pass (Jr only) - $100.00
f. Promotional pass - single person (any day) - $450.00
g. Promotional pass - single person (weekdays only) - $300.00
h. Promotional pass - couples (any day) - $650.00
i. Promotional pass - family (any day) - $850.00
j. Promotional pass - annual youth pass - $150.00
[j.]k. Companion fee - walking, non -player - $4.00
[k.]l. Motorized cart (18 holes) - $10.00
[l.]m. Motorized cart (9 holes ) - $5.00
[m.]n. Pull carts (9 holes) - $2.00
[n.]o. Club rental (9 holes) - $5.00
[o.]p. School teams - No fee for practice rounds with coach and team roster. Tournaments are $3.00 per player.
[p.]q. Driving range - small bucket - $2.50
[q.]r. Driving range - large bucket - $3.50
2. Wasatch Mountain and Soldier Hollow rental and green fees.
a. Nine holes general public - $12.50
b. Nine holes general public (weekends and holidays) - $13.50
c. Nine holes Jr/Sr weekdays (except holidays) - $11.00
d. 20 round card pass - $220.00 - no holidays or weekends
e. Annual Promotional Pass (except holidays) - $1,000.00
f. Business Class Membership Pass - $1,000.00
[f.]g. Companion fee - walking, non-player - $4.00
[g.]h. Motorized cart (9 holes - mandatory on Mt. course) - $13.00
[h.]i. Motorized cart (9 holes single rider) - $6.00
[i.]j. Pull carts (9 holes) - $2.25
[j.]k. Club rental (9 holes) - $6.00
[k.]l. School teams - No fee for practice rounds with coach and team roster (Wasatch County only).
Tournaments are $3.00 per player.
l. Tournament fee (per player) - $5.00
m. Driving range - small bucket - $2.50
n. Driving range - large bucket - $5.00
o. Advance tee time booking surcharge - $15.00
3. Green River rental and green fees.
a. Nine holes general public - $10.00
b. Nine holes Jr/Sr weekdays (except holidays) - $8.00
c. Eighteen holes general public - $16.00
d. 20 round card pass - $140.00
e. Promotional pass - single person (any day) - $350.00
f. Promotional pass - personal golf cart - $350.00
g. Promotional pass - single person (Jr/Sr weekdays) - $275.00
h. Promotional pass - couple (any day) - $600.00
i. Promotional pass - family (any day) - $750.00
j. Promotional pass - annual youth pass - $150.00
[j.]k. Companion fee - walking, non-player - $4.00
[k.]l. Motorized cart (9 holes) - $10.00
[l.]m. Motorized cart (9 holes single rider) - $5.00
[m.]n. Pull carts (9 holes) - $2.25
[n.]o. Club rental (9 holes) - $5.00
[o.]p. School teams - No fee for practice rounds with coach and team roster. Tournaments are $3.00 per player.
4. Golf course hours are daylight to dark
5. No private, motorized golf carts are allowed, except where authorized by existing contractual agreement.
6. Jr golfers are 17 years and under. Sr golfers are 62 and older.
B. Boat Mooring and Dry Storage
1. Mooring Fees:
a. Day Use - $5.00
b. Overnight Boat Parking - $7.00 (until 8:00 a.m.)
c. Overnight Boat Camping - $15.00 (until 2:00 p.m.)
d. Monthly - $4.00/ft.
e. Monthly with Utilities - (Bear Lake) $6.00/ft.
f. Monthly with Utilities - (Other Parks) $5.00/ft.
g. Monthly Off Season - $2.00/ft
h. Monthly (Off Season with utilities) - $3.00/ft
2. Dry Storage Fees:
a. Overnight (until 2:00 p.m.) - $5.00
b. Monthly During Season - $75.00
c. Monthly Off Season - $50.00
d. Monthly (unsecured) - $25.00
C. Application Fees - Non -refundable PLUS Negotiated Costs.
1. Grazing Permit - $20.00
2. Easement - $250.00
3. Construction/Maintenance - $50.00
4. Special Use Permit - $50.00
5. Commercial Filming - $50.00
6. Waiting List - $10.00
D. Assessment and Assignment Fees.
1. Duplicate Document - $10.00
2. Contract Assignment - $20.00
3. Returned checks - $20.00
4. Staff time - $40.00/hour
5. Equipment - $30.00/hour
6. Vehicle - $20.00/hour
7. Researcher - $5.00/hour
8. Photo copy - $ .10/each
9. Fee collection - $10.00

KEY: parks, fees
Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment: [January 1, 2006]May 22, 2007
Notice of Continuation: February 13, 2006
Authorizing, and Implemented or Interpreted Law: 63-11-17(8)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONText to be deleted is struck through and surrounded by brackets (e.g., [example]). Text to be added is underlined (e.g., example). Older browsers may not depict some or any of these attributes on the screen or when the document is printed.
[/url]For questions regarding the content or application of this rule, please contact Dee Guess at the above address, by phone at 801-538-7320, by FAX at 801-537-3144, or by Internet E-mail at deeguess@utah.gov
For questions about the rulemaking process, please contact the Division of Administrative Rules (801-538-3764). Please Note: The Division of Administrative Rules is NOT able to answer questions about the content or application of these administrative rules.

Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation
R651-611
Fee Schedule
NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULEDAR File No.: 29914
Filed: 05/03/2007, 07:07
Received by: NL
RULE ANALYSISPurpose of the rule or reason for the change:Electrical costs have increased significantly and the local campgrounds are charging a much higher fee for overnight with electrical hookups. The installation of electrical hookups for the camping sites at Dead Horse Point State Park has significantly increased visitation. With that visitation comes increased demand and the increase in electrical charges needs to be addressed in this rule. By increasing the overnight camping fee at Dead Horse Point State Park, the park will be able to recover the increase in electrical costs and bring camping fees in line with the current market without affecting demand. At Wasatch/Soldier Hollow Golf courses the increases for nine holes to the general public and an increase in the motorized cart for nine holes (single rider) will bring the costs more in line with the expenses to the State.
Summary of the rule or change:By increasing the overnight camping fee at Dead Horse Point State Park from $15 to $20, the park will be able to recover the increase in electrical costs and bring camping fees in line with the current market without affecting demand. At Wasatch/Soldier Hollow Golf courses, an increase of $1 from $12.50 to $13.50 for nine holes to the general public and a $1 increase in the motorized cart for nine holes (single rider) from $6 to $7 will bring the costs more in line with the expenses to the state.
State statutory or constitutional authorization for this rule:Subsection 63-11-17(8)(a)
Anticipated cost or savings to:the state budget:An increase in fees will result in an estimated $150,000 in golf revenues, and approximately $13,000 in camping revenue.
local governments:These changes are effective to state golf courses and state park camping facilities, and there are no aggregate anticipated costs or savings to local government.
other persons:The public utilizing Dead Horse Point State Park camping facilities will pay $5 more for their camping recreation there. There are no hard numbers to report, but there will be figures after a season with the new charges. Those who golf at Wasatch Mountain State Park will pay $1 more for nine holes and $1 more for a motorized cart per nine holes.
Compliance costs for affected persons:Those recreators who wish to utilize the camping electrical hookup sites at Dead Horse Point State Park will pay more for their fees to do so, from $15 with no electrical hookups, to the new and improved electrical hookups at $20. Those utilizing the golfing facilities at Wasatch Mountain/Soldier Hollow will pay more for their golfing by $1 ($12.50 to $13.50), and a motorized cart for nine holes will also be increased by $1 ($6 to $7).
Comments by the department head on the fiscal impact the rule may have on businesses:This rule amendment should have no effect on businesses. Michael Styler, Executive Director
The full text of this rule may be inspected, during regular business hours, at the Division of Administrative Rules, or at:Natural Resources
Parks and Recreation
1594 W NORTH TEMPLE
SALT LAKE CITY UT 84116-3154 Direct questions regarding this rule toBig Grinee Guess at the above address, by phone at 801-538-7320, by FAX at 801-537-3144, or by Internet E-mail at deeguess@utah.gov
Interested persons may present their views on this rule by submitting written comments to the address above no later than 5:00 p.m. on:07/02/2007
This rule may become effective on:07/09/2007
Authorized by:Mark Forbes, Deputy Director (Legislation)

RULE TEXT
R651. Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation.
R651-611. Fee Schedule.
R651-611-3. Camping Fees.
Permits overnight camping and day use for the day of arrival until 2:00 p.m. of the following day or each successive day. Camp sites must be vacated by 12:00 noon following the last camping night at Dead Horse Point. Camping is limited to 14 consecutive days at all campgrounds with the exception of Snow Canyon State Park, with a five (5) consecutive day limit.
A. Individual Sites -- One (1) vehicle with up to eight (8) occupants and any attached recreational equipment as one (1) independent camp unit. Fees for individual sites are based on the following schedule:
1. $9.00 with pit or vault toilets; $12.00 with flush toilets; $15.00 with flush toilets and showers or electrical hookups; $18.00 with flush toilets, showers and electrical hookups; (Dead Horse Point, electrical hookups - $20); $21.00 with full hookups.
2. Primitive camping fees may be decreased at the park manager's discretion dependent upon the developed state of the facilities to be used by park visitors. Notification of the change must be made to the Division's financial manager and reservations manager before the reduced fee can be made effective.
3. Special Fun Tag holders may receive a $2.00 discount for individual camping sites Monday through Thursday nights, excluding holidays.
4. One-half the campsite fee rounded up to the nearest dollar will be charged per vehicle at all parks and individual camping sites for all additional transportation vehicles that are separate and not attached to the primary vehicle, but are dependent upon that unit. No more than one additional vehicle is allowed at any individual campsite. This fee is not applicable at primitive campsites.
B. Group Sites - (by advance reservation for groups)
1. $2.00 per person, age six (6) and over at sites with vault toilets. Minimum $50.00 fee for each facility.
2. $3.00 per person, age six (6) and over at sites with flush toilets and/or pavilions. Minimum $75.00 fee for each facility.
[signature]
Roland,

Thanks for jumping in, and if you could get some relief for us anglers that would be great.[Smile]
[signature]
sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this forum. this has been one hectic week. getting the kids ready to go back to school unfortunately takes priority over fishing related stuff.

kentofnsl-i agree that individual letters would be more effective than the same letter over and over. i would encourage people to either edit mine to add their own wording or simply write up their own. however if people do simply copy mine and send it then at least state parks will get the message that people are unhappy about the fee.

rmbring-thanks for joining the conversation and thanks for making the proposal to the board. to be honest with you i had never heard of boat camping or a fee for it until last week. like i've posted before i've rarely been charged the same amount when i actually would be charged the fee at starvation. when paying the fee i was simply told that i had to pay for camping because i was spending the night. i've never bothered to argue with the entrance station employees or dig into it any further. i always just figured that they didn't believe me that i wasn't actually going to camp. i don't disagree that mike nealley has the right to charge the fee i just don't feel it's right to have the fee not included with the entrance fee or included with the annual pass. paying $13 to park in a normally $7 parking spot just doesn’t seem right to me. i started night fishing on a fairly regular basis around 20 years ago. for those 20 years i've fished all over the state and no state park has ever charged me a camping fee except starvation. when entering the state parks later in the evening I have been questioned about whether i was going to camp or not (at least the times when there was an employee at the stations). when i informed them that i wasn't camping that i was planning to fish through the night i sometimes got questions about my lights and safety equipment but nothing more was ever said about camping.

i can understand being charged 2 entrance fees because technically a person would be using the park for 2 consecutive days. i really appreciate your decision to let people fish through the night without an increased fee with an annual pass. i know I’ve never been charged a camping fee at willard. i had no idea that there was such a thing as a boat camping permit. the annual pass is a great value and i think just about everyone i know has one. i really like your idea for overnight parking. I know starvation already has the designated area.

btw willard is one of my favorite places to fish at night. fishing for wipers and catfish are awesome through the night up there.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]This topic got my interest even though I’ve never been affected by it. So, I wrote my own letter to the Utah State Parks and Recreation and emailed it to them a week ago today. Here is a copy of what I sent them:[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]

[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]
Quote:
[i][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]I’m really not sure who this should go to, so I’m starting with the Boating Coordinator for the State Parks. I’m also sending a copy to the Public Affairs Coordinator and hopefully somebody in the Administrative Office. I think this issue effects more than just one State Park.[/#000000][/font][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4] [/size][/#000000][/font]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]According to Mike Nealley, Park Manager, Starvation State Park; if a person launches a boat at the Starvation State Park launch ramp on Starvation Reservoir, parks the launch vehicle at the State Park, fishes all night long and leaves the next morning in daylight hours, this is considered boat camping and the boat camping fee will be assessed to, and paid by, that person. While some argue this is a very unfair assessment as no actual camping has taken place, I’ll concede that it’s justified.[/#000000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]Let’s change the scenario a little and see if the fee still applies. Let’s say the person fishing all night long has another person launch him and his water craft (boat, pontoon, or float tube) and drives the launch vehicle back home removing it from the State Park grounds. This other person then returns in the morning at the start of a brand new day and picks up the all night fisher person and they both leave the park. The driver used his Special Fun Tag to enter the park on both occasions. Is the boat camping fee assessed to the fisher person this time? If yes, what is the basis for assessing this fee?[/#000000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]Let’s change the scenario just one more time. This time, the fisher person is going to launch his water craft from private property bordering the reservoir. The State Park grounds were not used in any way, shape, or form. The fisher person fishes all night long until daylight the next day. Will he be assessed a boat camping fee this time? If yes, again, what is the basis for the assessment? And better still, how would the assessment be levied? I’m quite certain the Park Rangers are not in the habit of patrolling the reservoir associated with the State Park after dark and all night long.[/#000000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]I understand that there is a lot of variance in the make up of each State Park with regard to the mixture of State Park, public, and other agency owned/controlled lands associated with reservoirs. But each of the above scenarios is at least possible at some of the State Park/reservoir areas.[/#000000][/font][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]I appreciate any further guidance you can offer on this issue.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[/#000000][/font][/size][/i][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]I got an email response back from the Utah State Parks and Recreation agency today. Here is what the response said:[/size][/#800000][/font]

[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]
Quote:
[i][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]I received a copy of your email and would like to discuss this issue with you in more detail. You have brought up some very good points and we here at the Division of Utah State Parks and Recreation are considering what we might do for night fisherman as a group. If you would not mind taking about 10 - 20 minutes of your time to call me and give me some input on this, I would greatly appreciate it. Please see my contact information and call me at your earliest convenience.[/#000000][/font][/size]
[/#000000][/font][/size][/i][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]I will be calling the individual early next week as requested and will report back with the results of my conversation with the individual. I’ll also acknowledge who that person is with their permission. From the tone of the response, I’d say it looks promising.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
what is the number to call? if and when you talk to them see if it's ok to give out the number to other members..

i would not mind talking to them my self!
[signature]
This is true grass roots politics and I love it. Getting things changed the correct way. Woo hoo
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]I called the State Parks office today and had a very good conversation with the Deputy Director of Utah State Parks and Recreation, Mr. Mark Forbes. We discussed what I had put in my original email to them and discussed some other areas pertaining to night fishing vs. camping policies now in effect.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]The current policies have been in effect for a long time and are different for different State Parks. He and I both think this is not a good thing and more uniform policies should be developed to better address the actual use and impact that night fishing vs. camping has on facilities.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]We also talked about day use fees and what constitutes a day use period. Is it any 24 hour period, a set 24 hour period such as midnight to midnight, or only the open hours of the park such as 6 AM until 10 PM?[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Mr. Forbes indicated that he will be having some state level meetings with the individual Park Managers in the very near future and would very much like to hear from us before the fact and then attend the meeting(s) if possible and discuss the problems and solutions. The State Parks folks really do want to have your input and they would like to make the use of the Park System as fair as possible to the general public while at the same time at least breaking even on the cost of running the system. I think that’s a reasonable approach.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]If you would like to contact Mr. Forbes, he has given his permission to have his contact information presented here. It is:[/size][/#800000][/font]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
Quote:
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Mark Forbes[/#800000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Deputy Director[/#800000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Utah State Parks and Recreation[/#800000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]801-538-7355 Office[/#800000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]801-608-6933 Cell[/#800000][/font][/size]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][url "mailto:markforbes@utah.gov"]markforbes@utah.gov[/url] [/#800000][/font][/size]
[/#800000][/font][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]By all means, please let him know your thoughts on this matter. Please keep it clean, civil, and on point.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks for the info this is very cool. I may be getting a little bit excited prematurely but at least they are listening to the public.

Majja
[signature]
dubob-thanks for getting involved. it looks like things are heading in a good direction. i really like the points you brought up.

majja-i also love grass roots politics and i think that this has been really cool. it's great to see people getting involved and it's great to see the parks department listening to us.

i believe that we can find a reasonable resolution to this issue. i definitely don't want to take any money away from the parks, i just want to see a fair fee charged for the facilities that are used. maybe we can all band together and get the legislature to fund the parks enough that they wouldn't need to collect entrance fees at all? then fuzzy would get his free parks. lol. a person can dream right?
[signature]
I think you just hit the nail on the head. The state parks do an excellent job compared to some other govt offices. I would like to see some things changed but i will gladly pay my $75 every year to fish so many different waters.
Great job guys on the State parks relations. I made a phone call this afternoon as well.

The Forest Service is a whole different thread.[mad] We all need to team up on them and MAKE something happen. The ridiculous fees they charge at pineview are insane and the way they handle themselves is a joke. Have you ever wanted to assault an elderly person?[pirate]
[signature]
lol yeah we can all dream! and i realy don't have anything agenst the state parks other than the camping deal.. in my mind if i'm boat camping or in a primitave camping area i should not be charged a fee to do so.. inless i'm parked in the park proper. and i'm thinking there needs to be a boundry set that is state park and a fee area and a area that is free to the public to use.. i'm not saying it should be an inproved area! but a area that is open to the public for anyone to use 24-7 52 weeks.. that would be fair if it realy is public land and public water then it should be open to the public to use with out having to pay for the right to use.
[signature]
Well oh buddy IMHO it all comes down to two factors .

#1 It blows in Wyo.
#2 It does so because Utah sucks and is controlled by those that know whats best for us. [laugh]
[signature]