Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Equipment needed for limited budget
Thats what it is all about !!!! [Wink]
Good fishing to you and your family [fishin]
[signature]
Whoever left the Ice Fishing poles than you very much.

I was thinking it was you AJ but you said the ones you had were used, and These are brand spanking new.

I know in a couple years I can do the same for another who is starting and needs items.

I really believe in Pass it on.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Thank you,

Kent, Nicole, KJ and Jimmy
[signature]
enjoy them... and let me know how you do... I hope to get out a couple of times in the near future... AJ
[signature]
When I first started, I used an axe which wasn't that bad. It scattered the fish but they came back. We taped the reels to the upper part of the rods. Bought some worms and ice flies (you MUST use ice flies/jigs). Then, when the season is almost over, go to Walmart or Sportsmans Warehouse and buy their poles for $2 a piece. Thats the El Cheapo way to go. ***Note - make sure you use 4-6 lb line.
[signature]
Thank you everyone, We are nowe set up to go on the ice. I really appreciate all your help.

Not sure if it is a good idea to go Sunday to Scofield, I can see cold, windy, snowy, and pert near miserable. Not so sure if that is good to introduce the wife and Boy's to the ice, or wait for a nice beautiful sun shiny day
[signature]
i would hold off for a nicer day. unless you realy want mama to hate it. then i would take her. i made that mistake with my wife many hard decks ago. she hasnt gone in 12yrs. glad everyone set you up. 1 hint anout ice fishing. lift 1 foot drop 1 ft hold 15 seconds repeat. every 3rd lift drop, ad a litle litle jigle after the pause. lift is atractor drop is triger. jigle is for finiky lookers. work on any ice for any fish... have fun. ken[fishin]
[signature]
Probably not a good idea [pirate]
Wait for a little better weather because if it is snowing or blowing they pobably will not have to much fun,
but if it is just cold it is not to bad as long as they dress for it. And if it is a good day they will love it, [Wink]
After that they won't care what the weather is doing just as long as they can go ice fishing!!!!![fishin]
[signature]
You might want to hook up with someone with a tent when you take the wife for the first time. Took my wife once and eventhough it wasn't a bad day she got cold and never wanted to go again. Borrowed a tent last year and took her on a really cold day and she didn't get cold at all. Now she wants to go again this year. Keeping warm the first trip can make or break you with the misses.
[signature]
Well, First:

Thank you hooter_patrol for the great price you gave me for the igloo and the auger. They worked very well.

Thank you AJ for your generosity with the poles it is very much appreciated.

and thank you BassAckward & Out4Trout for your company, comments and instructions.

And for everyone else for your comments and suggestions.

Scofield Sunday 13th Dec.:
I didn't get much sleep as I am a back up snow Plow driver and was waiting for a call at 2:00 AM. The call never came but since I was awake already just got up.

Met up with Out4trout, BassAckward and two others sorry guys I can't remember your names. But it was very nice to meet all of you. At 5:00 AM (uh-hmm BassAckwards), anyway We got up to Scofield around 8:00 AM.

It was a little slow for me as we unpacked the truck and put everything into the boy's little red sleds. Finally got over to were the other 4 were setting up.
Had the auger blades on upside down,(Auger was bought with no blades so it was trial and error). Finally got two holes in. Then set up the igloo and cut two holes for it.
I was getting our poles ready, trying to tip with frozen minnows, teaching the boys how to set their lines.
Meanwhile the Mrs. was setting up the Colman propane heater. It was not auto start and Mrs. had it on thought it was auto and by the time I got to it she was a little sick from breathing the propane in the igloo. I had to go rummage for matches. Got it going had no real good place to set it. Had to rummage again for a black tydown to hang it in the igloo. Mrs had put on an Old bottle of gas, lasted 2 minutes started getting cold again, put on new one, fight wind to light it again with my limited supply of matches.
The four others where catching a few fish. My son Jr. got three up to the ice then they got off before they got to the hole. Explained to him how to keep the tip in the hole untill the fish was lined up with the hole then pull it in. Course he did not get any more bites.

I did not have much time to fish as I was watching the boys and Mrs. The pole I bought from Sportsmans, the real on it broke before I even put it into the water. Luckily I had bought the Mrs a pink pole so I had an extra. The real kept falling off of the pink pole cause it just had these plastic slidy things to hold the real on. Talk about a cheap set up. I will take both of them back as soon as I find the reciept.
Moved to another spot on the ice. The wind was really starting to pick up. Started blowing snow. The Mrs. was getting worried about me being cold and wanted me to get in the 2 man igloo for a few. Her and the boys were playing tag for the two spots in the igloo. I was fine and let them enjoy what warmth the igloo offered.
I got a few bites along with the Mrs. but no takers. Jr. got three to the bottom of the ice like I said at the other spot but did not get any bites at the new spot. and Jimbo did not get anything.
We called it at 12:30. by that time the boys were complaining about thier toes and hands, and the Mrs. was having cold feet problems.

After effects: Mrs. is not satisfied with that day and has the need to go again, Jr says it sucked because when he finally had it figured how to get the fish on top of the ice he got no more bites. So he is ready to go again. Jimbo, well not sure about him. He's not much into the fishing thing but comes and does it because it is something his parents and brother enjoy. He doesn't ever complain and just goes with the flow.

I figured out what I needed and what to buy for our next outing. My boss called me into his office today and I have come in to a couple of hundred extra dollars so I want to buy an ice tent and a sled.

Kent.
[signature]
cool post.. so how did the kids like the poles???
[signature]
Ohh sorry, They loved them. They are hundreds times better then the two I bought.

Your poles are the only ones that got fish to the bottom of the ice. We did not land any on deck but hey that is part of learning.

Thank you
[signature]
glad to hear it... maybe we should meet up for a fishing trip sometime... AJ
[signature]