Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grayling plantings
PBH, I haven't been on for a while but to answer your question I don't think overpopulation is a problem. The brookies are kept very well in check by all the scouts and overnighters that go in there. It would simply be a variety thing and would not cost the DWR much since they should be able to reproduce at some rate. In the Cache area we don't have much for high mountain lakes and it would be nice for someone to be able to catch something other than a brookie. For example as a scout master up here I never had the chance to introduce any of my scouts to a grayling. They have simply been to far to get to.

There is no inlet on whit pine just springs. As for the outlet it is tiny it goes for about 1 mile then goes underground never to be seen again. It doesn't come near the Logan which is the closest stream.

Just curious but has there ever been an example of grayling taking a water over and crowding out native cutts? I have never heard of that.
[signature]
[quote gstott]Perhaps that's why they won't put them in there. I suppose that during the runoff grayling my make down to the Logan River. I know they're protective of the cutthroat in there as they're apparently a fairly pure strain. I guess the potential for further competition might eliminate it as a potential site for grayling plantings.[/quote]
They are anything but protective of the cutthroat in the Logan. They dump rainbows above the 3rd impoundment all year long. I wish they were more protective.
[signature]
The upper sections of the Logan they do a pretty good job of protecting the cutts- the 3rd dam and lower you have to view that as the Strawberry res of Logan Canyon-
Many Many people fishing and if there weren't any planters in there they wouldn't catch many fish. that's just the way it is- they bought a license just like I did. It may not be my perfect idea but then I'm sure they look at me in the same way.
[signature]
Yeah, I never even fish down in that stretch. Well once I fished it down in town by the golf course, but I prefer it up in the Red Banks area. I have never seen a bow much past Wood Camp. I've only caught two in all my times fishing that stream. I do wish that if they would go through the trouble of having the late season in the upper end that they would make it artificials only as well. I haven't heard anything about grayling over populating, but I have heard plenty about brook trout doing so. If brookies do okay there, then I would think grayling would do fine.
[signature]
[quote tightline]In the Cache area we don't have much for high mountain lakes and it would be nice for someone to be able to catch something other than a brookie. For example as a scout master up here I never had the chance to introduce any of my scouts to a grayling. They have simply been to far to get to.[/quote]

There are a few lakes near you that have been stocked with graylings. Some of those are:

Summit County:

Trial Lake
Washington Lake
SMITH-MOREHOUSE Reservoir
GR-145 (have to find that one on a map - not named)
GR-119 (have to find that one on a map - not named)
AZURE (LOCK) Lake A-11
CHINA Lake G-21
KABELL Lake GR-140
ROUND Lake GR-131
SNOW Lake GR-130
STAR Lake A-42
WALL Lake U-99
WHISKEY ISLAND Lake BR3

At least one of those shouldn't be too far from you.

There are a few in Utah County as well.
[signature]
In another hour you could be to very large grayling in Wy from Cache Valley.
[signature]