Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grayling plantings
I plan to add something like that to my stocking reports on my website in the future.

Right now the improvements I have made on what are hosted on the DWR site are that I have converted most if not all the abbreviations of lake names to their full names (i.e. changing P to Pond and N to North, etc.), as well as made the species names links to pages that have more information about that species.

Once I get it all into a database, I will be able to provide the search technology you're asking about.
[signature]
[quote PBH] comes from their ability to over-winter in lakes that other trout cannot. You'll notice that many of the lakes are those also contain populations of brook trout. What grayling will (hopefully) do in these lakes is create a more consistant fishery. Those years that the brook trout die off in the winter, hopefully the grayling will not and they can provide anglers the opportunity to continue to catch fish until the brook trout come back.[/quote]

That's why I thought White Pine would be a possible place for them. We don't have a lot of mountain lakes up here in Cache, so it would be nice to have the ones we do have be a little more interesting.
[signature]
They are beautiful and fun and easy to catch but don't fight worth a darn. I caught a bunch in the uintahs.A great novelty fish though.
[signature]
and why would they not do well in white pine. It holds the brookies over no problem. There are a number of good springs in there.
[signature]
I would love to see them somewhere like Current Creek where they have a chance to spawn and a body of water big enough and with enough food to let them grow.
[signature]
Tightline -- I don't know anything about White Pine, but I'll attempt an answer anyway:

You mentioned that brookies hold over without any problem. You also mentioned good springs. If both conditions hold true, then maybe there is no need (other than personal preference by you) for grayling. Also, if the springs are good this could possibly create a situation of uncontrollable reproduction by grayling.

Are there tributaries to White Pine? Is there a possibility of grayling getting into other riverine systems via White Pine? This could also be a bad thing.

Hope that helps.
[signature]
I would like to see them in moving water too. I like fishing high mountain lakes, but moving water is definitely my favorite.
[signature]
Grayling are typically easier to catch than trout, and could be fished out quickly. So we likely won't see them planted in roadside waters.
[signature]
I have heard that grayling have been moving to Utah rivers and streams that are associated with bodies of water that have been planted with them, mostly in the Uintas. And as for them not fighting well, it has been my experience that they fight pretty well for being the small size they are in this State. About the same as a Brookie of similar size caught from similar waters.
[signature]
I am not trying to get some sweet spot information from you, but are you talking about the White Pine lake in Little Cottonwood canyon. I hunt muledeer there in the fall and have always wondered if there were fish in it. This is the first thing I have heard about the lake. Please let me know. Conner
[signature]
No, the White Pine I've been talking about is up Logan Canyon up above Tony Grove. It's a bit of a hike, and I don't think that any streams running in or out of it connect to anything substantial, so I don't see there being huge problems with the grayling there.
[signature]
I have hiked up and camped in the white pine red pine area in little cottonwood I think we ended up at white pines lake. I fished it for a while(not knowing if their were even any fish) no luck but, I talked to a fish cop at the bottom of the trail and asked him if he knew of any fish in the lakes up there. He said that he knows there have been grayling reported before in in the past but that is all he knew. There are a lot of lakes in those canyons that have fish in them even some with lakers. My favorite one with the best fishing that I have hiked to is Bells Canyon Res. I am not talking about the first "POND but the one that is way up in the high alpine above the timber line. It takes about 9-10 hours to hike in with a 40- 60 lb pack and all up hill. But the cutthroat fishing is non stop. They are all healthy decent sized trout. I heard there were some hogs in there that go upwards of 5 lbs. That place gets very little traffic and is kinda hard to find. I think that it is a great little place that I will be visiting again soon. I just ned to get back into shape.
[signature]
White Pine (Logan Canyon) does have a creek that runs out of it and it does have fish in it. The hike is just over 3 miles or so and is pretty easy.
[signature]
Sounds like a lot of fun, I am familiar with Bells Canyon and may have to give it a try. I just got some pack goats and hopefully will be able to make it. but it might be watershed and i will have to leave the goats behind. thanks again. Conner
[signature]
yep its a watershed. I diddnt know that and I took my dogs up there. Diddnt have a problem but a few weeks later I heard about 20 tickets were given to people who had there dogs up in the first pond. Its been hard for me to do it again because I wont take my dogs anymore. You should still try it.(not with the goats thought)

PACK GOATS thats sweet. I wanted to buy some also when I was living in Montana. There were the Beartooth Mountains that are very rugged and would have been perfect for having goats pack up all the weight. I am sure you will be using them in the Uintas, or the Boulders right? That is a great Idea.
[signature]
sorry accidentally posted two[blush] [crazy]
[signature]
Perhaps that's why they won't put them in there. I suppose that during the runoff grayling my make down to the Logan River. I know they're protective of the cutthroat in there as they're apparently a fairly pure strain. I guess the potential for further competition might eliminate it as a potential site for grayling plantings.
[signature]
you may have my post miss understood. I was talking about the lake in upper Bells canyon(its South next to little cottonwood canyon) that is a water shed. Not white pines in Logan canyon. I am not sure about Logan canyon if it is a water shed or not.
But you might be right about the pure stain cutthroats in all the mountains.

I guess there are 2 white pine lakes one in Little Cttwd canyon and one in Logan.

I just learned about the White Pine in Logan canyon from this thread[fishon]
[Wink]
[signature]
[quote PBH]Grayling are about as closely related to whitefish as they are rainbow and cutthroat trout. Grayling, Whitefish, Rainbow and Cutthroat trout are all Salmonids. None of them are very closely related to the Utah chub.[/quote]

Feels like I'm back in biology! Your response is all well and good. I think that the scientific approach is a noble thing that helps us better understand the world, even fishing. However, I made no statements about grayling/cyprinid relation. I'd never consider a grayling to be in the same family as chubs, tench, barbs, and carp! Only that they look similar to chubs in some respects. I'm not the only one who thinks that either, since whitefish (same family as grayling and trout) are described often has having a structure similar to the cyprinids. [url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_whitefish"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_whitefish[/url] Since whitefish, trout, and grayling are all in the Salmonidae family, they are, infact, closely related. I think most will agree that grayling look more like whitefish than they do trout.

On an interesting side note, the case of the salmonids has been used recently as proof of rapid evolution, since all the species diverged from a common ancestor fairly recently compared to other fishes. Thankfully, what that has translated to for fishermen is a wide variety of beautiful fish with similar characteristics that we can catch. It's nice to think about how in one lake you can get a whopper lake trout, and in another you can get an attractive little brookie. Awesome stuff.
[signature]
Ryan -- I think you took my post a bit too personal. I just stated a fact -- I wasn't trying to prove anyone, including you, wrong in any way.
[signature]