Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
carpathon proper release
Fishinma-Ihave also fished the system since the early 80's, but mostly on the utah side. We started catching walleye 15 years ago in utah in the Bear. The first ones to do it on the Utah side. Nobody used to think there was anything but carp in the river It has been really fun. I have targeted this species on the river for a long time, I also catch some in Idaho. Too bad you didn't catch any last week. The river was super high and muddy, that is why I went to Benson Marina. I noticed the suckers dissapearing on the River also, too bad that was great catfish bait, and Lake Trout. It was impossible to catch a yellow bellie on the River from Smithfield to Cornish when the walleye population was up no lie!! Nice talking to you good, luck, problably see you on the River sometime.
[signature]
do you know if there are walleye in the bear river that goes through Randolph or that area. I ve seen trout be caught but not the walleye.
[signature]
holy carp (or is it crap)! that crap (or is it carp) is as big as the little one holding it! i bet that was a blast!
[signature]
Hey kochanut I will say that Carp in my opinion are fiesty and fun to catch of all fresh water fishies! Here's another pic of what we do when we're bored! It's called "CARP POWER" in our rubby raft! You can actually get those devils to go where you want just by splashing the oar at any direction. Who sais you need a big boat and motor to get to your honey hole!lol
enjoy!
Smiles Always!
MA
[#808080][size 1]picture file to large[/size][/#808080]
[signature]
I must correct you..I DID catch walleye last week just not on Saturday...
Smiley!MA
[signature]
First off let me say I think the pictures and story are great I have no problem with doing whatever with the damn things. I think we could be no worse off without them making more room for good fish, however those pictures would sure look bad on a PETA billboard next to I 15 we should all think twice before posting pictures whether it be hunting, fishing or trapping, all things that I enjoy doing. We dont need to provide special intrest groups with the ammo to cut our own throats. with that said I have not heard of any eyes being caught in the Randolf area but they are upstream and down so it is just a matter of time (i can hardly wait) looking forward to somthing other than carp and the far too few browns
[signature]
I see what your sayin, and believe me, I dont trash fish on the banks(that often) and if I do throw them on shore I kill them and find a suitable destination that is not near the fishing areas. Usually it is somewhere that a scavenger will easily gobble it up. Thanks on the info about the randolph area. I have seen schools of carp out there that are of a population that I could not accurately gestimate but if I had to I would say 100-200 fish in a deep hole surrounded by shollow water runs. I have also seen trout (cutts and browns) hitting dry flies. Of coarse the carp are a little over powering and I have access to a crap load of private river bottom that nobody else is fishin" EVER"so if I throw the carp on the banks there the coons and skunks get to it before anybody who cares gets too it. I would frequent out there more often if a walleye population was established. I have seen 5+lb browns that have been pulled out though and I have also come across some rare years that frogs overtake the river banks. One year while duck hunting I remember packin a telescopic fishing pole with a frog colored panther martin with high hopes on catching one of the big browns in there.
[signature]
Congrats on catching a walleye last week, you seem pretty proud of yourself. Nothing wrong with a little confidence.[Smile]
[signature]
Personally I never have liked throwing carp along river banks, or lakes. I usually take them home and put them in a garbage bag, or use them for bait. I wrap them up and throw them away! They won't stink if you use common sense and wrap them well enough in hefty cinch sacks.

Cuttin' them up and throwing them back into the river though will help feed the cats.[Wink]
[signature]
Mr trophyboat if you don't mind how deep is the Bear River where you were fishing? Is it deep enough to troll or bottom bounce for walleyes and cats? Is it snaggy? Are there mermaids in there(Wink!).
[signature]
the river is running very high and fast with lots of debris in it, bottom bouncing would only be a hassle, i have been fishing in 3-5' of water the big holes have too much current right now to fish effiecienty.
[signature]
I believe that Racoons are a non-native, invasive species here in Utah, just like the Carp. Perhaps we should not be leaving food (dead carp) out for them. As their numbers proliferate they can be very predatory on ground nesting birds such as waterfowl and their eggs.
[signature]
They're obnoxious little monsters (racoons). Where I grew up, the majority of them had rabies. Thankfully that isn't the case here. They'll still get into and kill just about anything they can. I lost a bunch of pet ducks to one when I was a kid. It just went around biting all their heads off. He was dealt with.
[signature]
Well the best way to dispose of a carp is to puncture its air bladder and let it sink to the bottom.That way it wont float up and go to the bank .Every like 5 years carp go up the provo river to die and it is a big stink fest i dont know if anyone remembers this.
[signature]
yes racoons are bad and they are dealt with appropriately.
[signature]