Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
carpathon proper release
throw em in the water feed the cats!
[signature]
carp-another white meat for cats Smile
[signature]
I like to catch them, throw them on the bank, and then shoot them. I think its the sound that the hollow points make that I like, not that steel shot isnt a good option when shooting them in shallow water.

I will do anything to keep them out of my favorite bass ponds. It is my personal obligation.
[signature]
LOL I have caught a nearly 40 pound carp, It was a brute, an invasion species that moves freely from nest to nest feeding on the eggs of game fish that are way more desirable to catch and eat than carp. The only thing that stops a 40 pounder from decimating spawning beds is a hook. I like to open them up and leave a flutter of gut out there for the cat fish to get started on. I am trying to teach the catfish that carp are good eats. Hope it catches on. Now if we can just work on those cormorant to focus on them...........screw common sense. When it comes to carp it is war.
[signature]
Have any of you guys hunted carp with a bow? I used to do this with my father when I was a youngster. It used to be funner than hell. Alot more sporting than shooting them with guns.
[signature]
Hey trophyboat SWEET catches! Didn't mind the background either[Wink]!LMAO on these guys' comments! Gotta love it! Carp are not native boyz!.. Grass Carp I believe are protected still in Utah... Common Carp are not!! ...and they do devour Wanda's nest!DRAT!
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]
OK OK, I have another brilliant idea. If you all hate carp so much, maybe you should start throwing back some of the walleye that you catch. A big mature walleye will be able to eat thousands of carp minnows, far more than you brutes can slaughter yourself. About 6 to 8years ago on the Bear River walleye filled the waters. It was nothing to catch 80 to 100 walleye in a season. The mudcat seemed to dissapear, and the carp population also dropped. Now that the walleye have taken a beating for 5 years, the mudcats are back and so are the carp.
[signature]
Hunting them with a bow is a blast! See how many you can stick with one shot. I plan on rounding a bunch up this year, renting a tree limb shredder, then with the help of that shredder, use them to fertilize my garden!
[signature]
Hey kiddo I did catch 80 -100 walleye last year...during all seasons! Yes 95% of them thrown back! Your point is mute. I really think most people don't now how to target to catch em on Bear river because of daily water fluctuations. Hey I'm in a LM tourney next week and I NEED some help with those babies! Not my strong species I'll admit!
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]
Congrats on catching 80 to 100 walleye last season, that is really impressive. I am glad you threw back 95 percent that is more impressive. I am glad someone shows some appreciation for these fish. Did you fish the river from 2000 to 2006? If so you must have noticed that there were fewer mudcat and carp and a lot more walleye! In fact if you threw on a worm a walleye would eat this, and no mudcat or carp got a chance. you have to admit things have changed quite a bit if you have fished this system for the past ten years. By the way was that you fishing at Benson Marina on the Bridge yesterday?
[signature]
I have to agree with the people about not leaving them on the bank. They smell exactly like this guy that came into LDS hospital with a necrotic scrotum. It stunk up the enitre OR, plus it wafted down the elevator shaft to other departments. Those rotting carp bring back memories of that night. I still have to say it smells better than those pig farms over in Benson [:/] But please go ahead, kill the carp. I'm still looking forward to my first of the season so I can dice it up into cat bait.
[signature]
I remember while house boating in Powell we would make 10 foot spears with barbed tips that were hand carved, everyone knows carp love hangin out around houseboats. and it was much harder than shooting at them with any weapons. I will do some damage with a bow this summer though. It is awesome to use archery equipment and I think that it is a lot more productive than anything else(with the exception of drastic measures including netting, poisoning, and of coarse EXPLOSIVES
[signature]
hey what is a good set up for sticking those beasts? I would love to make a dive for the bow when I see one of those big gold fish following up a curly tail grub. I want to be able to bring them in and string them across as a display. Has to be a high degree of satisfaction to stand on the bow and let an arrow fly and score a hit. I swear they follow me so if I cant beat them i could really beat them.[shocked]lol
[signature]
There are archery bow fishing accessories that you can get at archery stores or more than likely on line. You want to use a reel on your bow that is tied to a special arrow with a tip that has a mechanical broad head kinda like a harpoon tip.(doesnt have the sharp razors). I need to update my equipment too so if I find any new tricks I will let you know. When the carp spawn they are very easy to kill in bulk.
[signature]
if you dont like the carp do what we do on the kalamazo river here in michigan.every year in the spring when there spawning we hold a big charity bow fishing contest shooting carp 100s of people show up and have alot of fun. food tents beer tents and tons of carp removed from the river and the money raised gos to cleaning up the rivers...everybody wins[sly]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Bowfishing? A lot of us "carpinators" enjoy ventilating carpkind with arrows.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some of us even take the "dearly departed" home to be turned into bait or fertilizer.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ya I've fished that river since the early 80's.Yet I was more of a trout angler then. Bear has always been abundant of carp & yellowbellies. It was full of suckers too I think the last sucker I caught was 5 years ago. To be truthful I started targeting Eye's about 3 years ago. I'd catch them years back but thought they were ugly and didn't know what they were and threw em back. I still catch em on crawlers but have better luck with artificial lures.
I drove by the Marina Saturday but didn't stop. I bopped honey holes most of the day then fished the little Benson bridge for an hour around 5pm with my son. It was surley a carp and kitty kat(channel) day! here's a pic of my son and a stinky carp!
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]
New to the forum, but had to get in on this one. I do a lot of carp killing here in cache valley. My brothers and I have stuck about 500 pounds worth so far this year. In my experience the best way to kill them is with a recurve bow. I could do it all day long. Here are a few pics of saturdays killfest. We shot one of my favorite sots for about an hour or so. All females still full of eggs. Largest was 13lbs, and we had 5 others over 11lbs. If anybody wants some for bait let me know, i have tons.
[cool]Yes, lots of people on this board like to hunt carp with bows, especially in about a month from now when they start their spawn on places like Utah Lake.

I see that you are new to BFT. We have an awesome archive and search feature here and if you do a search up there on "Carp Hunting Utah" or something similar, you'll find threads on it from past years...
[signature]
Thanks for the info I may have to score a bow set up. Got everything else on the boat may as well have a bow set up too.
[signature]