Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Record Tiger
[shocked]
Congrats man, that is a beautiful fish.

I don't care what it's measurements are, that is a nice catch. Keep it up!
[signature]
WOW! those are some MONSTERS.
I am sorry but the only thing that catches my eye besides their size and beauty....is the hand in the GILLS.
They may swim away, but you have done some major damage....really.

Now, sorry as this has already been done and the subject beat to death, but I had to get that out.....LOL

GO TIGERS!
[signature]
[shocked][shocked][shocked]
I'll shut up now
Thanks for backing your story up.
[signature]
here is a 13pound 12 oz Tiger... So I'm just calling it how I see it. Your tiger is slightly smaller than this one [shocked] your fish is a swine for sure.. just sayin'
[quote flygoddess]WOW! those are some MONSTERS.
I am sorry but the only thing that catches my eye besides their size and beauty....is the hand in the GILLS.
They may swim away, but you have done some major damage....really.

Now, sorry as this has already been done and the subject beat to death, but I had to get that out.....LOL

GO TIGERS![/quote]

+1
[signature]
For all you who are posting pics those are some real nice tigers but I got to agree with FG.

+1 on FG's Post no reason to have release those fish the mortality rate is pretty close to 90%+ once you stuck you hands in its gills and held it up right like that. Darn waste if you ask me.

Lastly for me..Just FYI If you ever fish in any kind of tourtament or even watched a tourtment on tv. Your catch isnt of legal size unless its been measured, weighed and witnessed. Out all the pics that were posted not 1 tape or scale not to say these were of size but I think this whole debate woul dhave been put to rest with measurement.
[signature]
Just so you know, we carefully grabbed their gill plates without touching their gills and held them up for about 5 seconds to snap a picture. Hands were wet before touching them and only out of the water for less than 30 seconds at most. I rarely hold big fish by the gill plates and I probably won't anymore from this point on and I do appreciate the reminder.

But just curious, who has come up with the number that 90% of fish die after carefully holding them up by the gill plate? Is it more dangerous to do on larger fish? Just curious.
[signature]
I assume your reply is directed toward me even though you replied to FG but if not I'll reply anyways...

Two factors predominate when considering the causes of angled fish mortality:

The hooking location, and the degree of physiological stress suffered by the fish. An analysis of corresponding data indicates that catch and release efficacy and mortality are strongly affected by the techniques Do not handle fish by placing your fingers in the gill slits. Fish gill filaments are very sensitive and can easily be injured.
Combined with The slime coat on most fish is very fragile. Clear breaks or scrapes of the slime coat are usually fatal. This coating protects the fish like our skin does us, from infection and decay. In aquariums, fresh water fish get what is called “Ick”. This forms as tiny white tendrils that progressively form a ball of fungus. As this fungus invades the fishes body, the wound invites attacks from other fishes.

StudySpecies
Study
Variable
Raw Data
TypeNon-
Optimal
Type% Mort.
Optimized
Type% Mort.Mortality
Reduction
Factor12TroutPlaying Release StressLong90%+ HigherShortHigherNegitive

There have been multiple studies on C& R There also has been multiple articles on how to properly C&R fish I'll bet you none of them state sticking your fingers in there gills no matter how carefully you think you were is not a good idea. If you really think you were carefull then lets stick some fingers next to your lungs trust me I'll be carefull [Wink]
[signature]
[inline beating-a-dead-horse.gif]
[signature]
Replying to post that was directed to me [:p]

But thanks for chiming your input on the matter was very resourceful LOL [Wink]
[signature]
I for one TOTALLY AGREE with you
on this one petty4life LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't we alllll just get aaaalong ........hahahahaha
let's go catch a bigger fish [fishin]
but eveyone has to have a tape - measure and a certified scale and a very very good picture With 3 or more witness and all must take a lie detector test LOL!!!!!!!!!!!![sly]
[signature]
wasn't directed at yu sinergy was directed at the whole thread. by the way all the pics posted are very nice fish.
[signature]
That poor horse!!![pirate]
[signature]
I looked at the pics before I read the post..

Reading the post made me laugh... It would have been WAY easier just to come on here and say "Look at this huge tiger I caught!" instead of coming on here and claiming its 12lbs and beats a state record w/o having measuring it or weighing it and putting yourself in the crossfire. I also think the comments would have been way more positive from the readers.

Nonetheless its a big fish.
[signature]
Agreed. Everyone congratulated him on a very nice catch but disagreed with his opinion of beating the state record by over a pound. Lets keep the pictures and reports coming (and the locations secret at the posters discretion).

Just no claims of state record or ridiculous measurements without a tape measure, scale or multiple pictures.
[signature]
Petty4life....Now that was good LMAO I agree
[signature]
Wow this post really morphed into something ugly LOL
Not that I didnt help fuel the fire [laugh]

I gots to agree those are some pretty nice tigers BTW what lake and what bait was used to catch those tigers ??? [Wink]
[signature]
[quote sinergy]Do not handle fish by placing your fingers in the gill slits. Fish gill filaments are very sensitive and can easily be injured.
[/quote]

even if you somehow managed to hold the fish by the gill plate without injuring the gills, the way that guy held the fish vertically most likely caused damaged to an internal organ or vertebral column. a small perforation or rupture in the bowel would not immediately manifest itself, but the result is often a belly-up trout later in the day. trout are extremely fragile fish, i don't understand why some people feel the continued need to remove them from the water and yank them around by the gill plate if they intend to release. fortunately he did it to a genetically-altered, non-native freak of a trout instead of a native cutt.
[signature]
+1 on that damm shame to release a hog like that and have it die. Hopefully some wild animal ate it for dinner.
[signature]