Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13-pound cutt at Strawberry
I am no biologist so I can't comment on the life span, but again, I am living proof they can get larger.
You say one or two years.....maybe 3 or 4 more...I don't know, and no one will know.

I will remind you, I don't care one way or the other...plus, it is now history, and a little tuff to change that[laugh]

I was going to copy and paste this, but, it is long so I thought I would just post a link, that way you can read if you want to.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Fiberglass-Fis...id=1589743
[signature]
THANX FOR SHARING THAT LINK... HE DOES NICE WORK!!! I DO SOME TAXI AND HIS AIR BRUSH SKILLS ARE ARE IMPECKABLE!!![fishin]
[signature]
Bea utiful!!!!! trpohy in anyones book.....
[signature]
Wow -- I learned a lot from your link -- thanks for sharing.
[signature]
No problem.[cool]
[signature]
Great article. You do, however, have to kill the fish still. Which I think is totally acceptable within the law.

Quote:To create a replica of a fish using our techniques, a fresh fish is required to start. Posing the fish naturally is one of the keys to a good replica. Once the fish has been posed we begin to take a cast off the throat of the fish by using a liquid molding material the same viscosity as water. This molding material will flow through the complete throat giving the fish replica the exact throat details originally found on the fresh fish. The second step would be to take an rtv silicone rubber in its liquid state and pour this on the complete fish encapsulating the fish entirely.
[signature]
[quote Weekend_Warrior]

Great article. You do, however, have to kill the fish still. Which I think is totally acceptable within the law.

[/quote]

Only one fish per species in each "slot size".

"After the fish has been cast, a fish of that species, in that slot size is no longer required for a mold. This enables a client to catch a fish and then release it, allowing us to reproduce a replica of the fish that has been returned to its natural environment."
[signature]
Ahhh Utah, got to love even the discussions with that name!

"I caught a 36" close to 20 lber...I am aware how long they live." posted by flygoddess

I would like to see a picture of that Cutthroat. Does one exist?
[signature]
I would still keep it. I have caught some 20 inch cutts that were heavier than other 20 inch cutts by over a pound.
[signature]
Im not going to argue the catch and release or catch and keep. I will comment on taxidrmy as I is one[cool]. There are numerous companies that sell fish blanks or fiberglass forms of almost every size. and yes a fish was molded. that being said you can have a good taxidermist duplicate almost any fish using a fibergalss blank. The measurements and photos need to be pretty accurate. This is also more costly that a skin mount since you have to buy a commercial mold. Casting a fish is less expensive but requires a dead fish. Skin mounting is less money but again requires you keep the fish. Good fish taxidermy is not inexpensive. You can expect 10 - 20 dollars an inch. so yeah a 30 in fish at 600 bucks is out of reach for some people. Lastly even if the fins are damaged by freezer burn the can be replaced with a commercial fin and I would bet none could tell it was replaced. I have mounted fish that have been frozen for 2 years and know of guys mounting some older than that.
anyway thought I would throw a little light on the taxidermy subject, but goddess is right. a few good photos for color a good lenth and a couple girth measurements and we can find a blank to match the fish. Then you can decide . keep it or let it go.
[signature]
[quote muddyrudder]Ahhh Utah, got to love even the discussions with that name!

"I caught a 36" close to 20 lber...I am aware how long they live." posted by flygoddess

I would like to see a picture of that Cutthroat. Does one exist?[/quote]
Actually yes. More than one picture exists and although she won't post it, I will.
[Image: HenrysLakeBigunfix640.jpg]
[signature]
wow. That is one beautiful fish.
[signature]
[quote muddyrudder]Ahhh Utah, got to love even the discussions with that name!

[cool][#0000ff]And, just for the record, that is not a Strawberry cutthroat. It is a Henry's Lake (Idaho) hybrid cutthroat and kamloops rainbow. They are fast growing and grow much larger in a shorter time than the cutts at the berry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But...a beautiful fish from any water...and a testament to the angling skills of the Goddess.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Awesome Fish, I love to see big fish, for sure when I get the chance to catch them.

Kept or released it is nice to see they are still out there. If we leave people alone maybe they will keep posting the pictures.

Keep or Release, it is our legal right!

People should worry about the illegal immigrants, and I am not talking about the human kind. Keep your boats, wading boots, float boats, etc. clean!
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][quote muddyrudder]Ahhh Utah, got to love even the discussions with that name!

[cool][#0000ff]And, just for the record, that is not a Strawberry cutthroat. It is a Henry's Lake (Idaho) hybrid cutthroat and kamloops rainbow. They are fast growing and grow much larger in a shorter time than the cutts at the berry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But...a beautiful fish from any water...and a testament to the angling skills of the Goddess.[/#0000ff][/quote]
[cool]My mistake in not identifying that it was from Henry's. For the record the hybrid is a cross between a Henry Lake female cutt and ordinary rainbow male. No kamloops strain involved.
Plus the guy wanted to see a picture of it[reply][/reply]. Cutt, bow, who cares- it's still a BFF.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]My bad on the kamloop reference. Something I thought I heard...but probably didn't.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is a good page on the subject on the Idaho Fish and Game website.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/fish/hatcheries/henrys_lake.cfm"]LINK TO SITE[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Holy cow!! Can you imagine if they would cross the yellowstones with kams! I wonder if they would get even bigger!?
[signature]
I don't know about bigger, but they would get big faster. specially with all that food.
You and Everett would find them if they are there. You two are the official monster catchers for sure.
[signature]
The Mantua trouts I met yesterday took care of the whole "catch-n-release" debate for me! I hooked into a number of brawling fatties, and each one managed to jump and shake loose. I think I may have been getting too excited and horsing them in, instead of "enjoying the ride" and tiring them out first.

So my son's in the boat, ready with the net and the next one I just try to ride 'em out, and keep the tension on. Must not have had enough tension - "and he's gone". Now my boy thinks I shouldn't enjoy the ride so much, and just get em to the net.
Fun to watch all the followers - definitely had a lot more looks that takes. They really do "attack" at a lure!

Opened a discussion on taking bass off their beds. Didn't get as hot as this thread!

I can put a lot of hours into fishing and have very little to show for it. Personally - if a fish is worth eating (not too small, not TOO big and way old and mushy, or toxic!) I'll take a meal, that's why there are limits. Most a lot more generous than my fishing skills support! Plus I figure if I can catch a few meals (1) it's good for my health, and tastebuds (2) I've paid for a license - which entitles me to keep my "bag limit". I buy a 2nd pole too, so I can offer the fish more options they can reject.
But I feel a commitment to eating what I keep, and getting to it while it's fresh. Honoring the catch. My boy wants to keep EVERYTHING - so I've tried a few small ones as cut-bait. Trying to convince him that sometimes we SHOULD and NEED TO release our catch.

Didn't realize they mounted the actual skin (nice link). I thought they were all painted plastic replicas. Most of our catch/keeps have lost so much color by the time they make it home - especially the trout. Guess that's where paint and a photo would help. But yeah - I bought my boat for about as much as a mount might cost. I'll save the difference on replacing lost lures.

At least I've started bringing the camera, so I can perform CPR.
[signature]
i click on the link but i get nothin except some guy talking about fishin the provo [:/]
[signature]