Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Fleet walleye
Well, I'll go walleye fishing with you then if they are so easy to catch. I've fished for them my whole life and get skunked all the time. Maybe you can educate me and the rest of the board on how easy these fish are to catch. Not with something you read off this board or somewhere else on the web either. I'm not saying I haven't caught a few thousand of them in my life but that isn't in UT. I've never fished for someting as easy as trout I can honestly say. If they tasted good I'd be all for it. Walleye should be put into more resevoirs here and you'd have a lot more fans of the species. Catching two decent size walleye per trip is as hard as catching 25 trout per trip its been my experience.
[signature]
And thats one of the problems with our slow to react DWR. The Walleye at Yuba got big. Too big. But the rules never changed. When the Walleye got big, they ate everything. You could only keep one over twenty inches. I had many days where I would catch fifteen Eyes and only five would be under the slot. Changing slot limits would let fishermen control the numbers of big fish and keep more bigger Perch in the lake. Of course it still would have crashed.The Perch couldnt spawn on dry land, but the DWR has to take a proactive approach to management and change rules quickly in a lake with toothy predators. Something that will never happen in a state where politics trump management.
[signature]
Thats why I wonder why they dont use the proc to do more management. Size and number regs take only a little bit of ink to change. Isnt it funny that their response to Yuba after the dam repair was a catch and kill on the walleye. Now a lake full of carp and stunted pike later and the perch or walleye arent doing worth of crap. (unless theres new numbers im unaware of). If it were a trout lake, they would restock it. Ive been waiting for years for yuba to come back, made a disapointing trip here and there, but still waiting...
[signature]
Where did my post go?
[signature]
Huh?
[signature]
Is this the one your talking about?
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?post=598155;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?post=598155;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]
Yes. Thank you for pointing that out to me and the others who had their posts moved.
[signature]