Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Fleet walleye
I didnt litteraly mean for somebody to do it, just stirring the pot[laugh]. But if you wanted to control the pan fish in there then walleye would be the way to go.

And.... PBH.... IF RAINBOW TROUT DO SOOOO GOOD IN UTAH LAKES, WHY THE *&^% DO WE PLANT MILLIONS OF THEM A YEAR!!!!! Thats where Wyoming and Idaho and numerous other states get it right. Plant a fish that will sustain itself and then plant FORAGE every year. The DWR likes to talk about cost. IT WOULD BE A HELL OF A LOT CHEAPER TO PLANT FORAGE EVERY YEAR THAN CATCHABLE FISH!! There is no argument for that. Utah is not a trophy state... its a catch your stringer full of planters state!
[signature]
AMEN BROTHER !!!!!
[signature]
Walleye in the gorge? That would possibly be the best dream I've ever had. Don't see it ever happening unless someone plants them illegally. I really don't know how a fish is going to get through that damn swimming up stream. I would love to see the state look at more walleye waters. I have no idea why anyone likes trout to begin with.
[signature]
I think we should install massive water chiller/filtration systems on all Utah reservoirs and stock them all with brook trout only. We could raise freshwater shrimp and dump in to feed them. We could manage the population by stocking only sterile brook trout and special regulations for each lake to keep numbers at a perfect level for trophy fish. Sounds simple enough and not too expensive right? Of coarse not. We need to let the DWR do it's job and do our own by trying to get things changed through Wildlife Board meetings and other actions not dumping our personal favorite species in our lake of choice.
[signature]
That would be wonderful[cool]! I know that Boysen has had burbout for quit some years, but they are hard to find. The walleye put the hurt on their babies and they cant take the lake over. The walleye really wouldnt compete with the lakers or kokes either. I think both states would gain something in the burbout control and the 2 state fishing stamps revenue from the utah and wyoming walleye guys.
[signature]
THE DWR IS WORTHLESS!!!!! trout fishermen are the majority of angler. so they cater to the bottom fishermen becaulse they are the bigger tax base. if they dont fill a stringer they whine. so the state listens. and as far as rac meetings been there done that. does not ever work out for us walleye fishermen. didnt work out so well for your trout guys either. look at what rivers you can no longer fish. and i have never dumped any fish anywhere. but when eyes show up other places i Smile and say RIGHT ON!!!!! why brook trout??? they are a week fighting fish. pritty but week. well with the exception of the brooks on the bolders. hard for me to get excited about 6 to 9 in baitfish. heck they have ruined the uintas for big fish like cuts and goldens. i used to get goldens every yr now try and find 1 per yr. o i just had a thought. brooks eat anything even a hook with nothing on it. easyest trout to catch. this is why you like them i get it now. it all makes perfect sence.[cool]
[signature]
I would be real interested to see a survey of fishermen in Utah and what they want to catch. If they had something on the license to designate your favorite fish, and then devote money accordingly. I think the Bass and Walleye folks would see more funding for fun to catch and edible fish.And the cheese eaters would get less funding. I would just like to see one reservoir managed for Walleye. I know, dream on.
[signature]
I have said for years they are not role model bioligist. Other states manage their hatchers, most other states introduce sustainable bait populations. I have said Boysen has so many species and they are all doing well. There are some huge Rainbows in there and most people would think they wouldn't survive. Last year there was tons of baitfish.
[signature]
dreaming is all we have my freind. oya and another killer walleye res. lmao and im sure we have some others comming soon. lmao again. [Wink]
[signature]
Dude you'll lose this little debate. You and I both know walleye are not at all known for their fighting capabilities, but only for their table quality. And brook trout easy to catch? Perhaps the stunted variety in the places most folks venture, but a well fed large brook trout is easily as tough a quarry as any walleye, and will deffinately fight much harder. Utah has the best brook trout fishing in the U.S., no walleye's going to change that. Catching a trophy brook trout is a much greater accomplisment than catcing any walleye, big or small, everybody knows that! [Wink]
[signature]
Walleye are not just known for their table quality. Its the skill involved to catch them. Sure their are plenty of walleye caught by accident, but few people put the time and energy into catching them on a consitant basis, cause if you do, you'll go home empty handed more than once. I was at pineview on tues and caught excatly 30 bass, thats why i dont fish for bass any more. I can go to any of the trout lakes and with some degree of certainty say Im gonna catch some fish if not a limit. That in my opinion is BORING. Now walleye, I can tell you where I think they are going to be and what they might be eating, but I have been proved wrong way more than once. I have bottom bounced in 35 feet of water at .6 mph one day to cranking in 7 feet of water at 2.7 mph the next day to catch the same fish as the day before. They constantly change and keep it fun. If it was all about the fight why dont you just fish for carp? Dont they taste about the same as a slimer[sly]?

Sound like you have put your time into big brookies, good for you. But I am willing to bet the challenge to catching big brookies is the lack of big brookies. Guess what, Ive caught 3+ pound brookies just as im sure youve caught walleye, not a big deal. You cant just throw velveta on the bottom, just like you cant allways crank for wiper and catch walleye. But... A trout is a trout is a trout, and I agree with the other post, even the big ones were dumb enough to eat a plastic worked right[Wink].
[signature]
walleye dont fight??? ya if its day time we pull them towards the light and they are blinded. catch 1 at night on a jig or rapala and make that statement. they will rip line off bulldog and get chitty. and i have caught many brooks. they eat anything come on a bare hook. how smart is a brooky if it eats a bare hook. no walleye ever ate a bare hook starving or not. and it will never slurp power bait or chese off the bottom. cant say that about your brooks can we? any 3 yr old can catch trout becaulse they eat anything. that is fact like it or not. 1 in 10,000 3 yr olds can jig up a walleye. my son was that 3 yr old. now 14 he can out fish most grown ups and does all the time. its not about winning a debait what its about is walleye are better eating harder to hunt and take moore skill to consistantley catch day in day out. cant say that with trout. they bite 365 days a yr. walleyes dont. a low presure gives them lockjaw they hunt differnt structure at differnt times of the yr never haunting the same spot for to long. so it makes them brain damadge for most anglers. brookies are like 2 point deer get anytime you want. walleye now he is the 200 in 4x4 of the water!!!! [cool]
[signature]
crankem- 20 days on boysen? living 18 miles from boysen? i don't think i've ever been more jealous in my life. it's been a while since i've been to boysen, but what an awesome fishery. football walleyes, giant rainbows, fat crappie, monster perch. yeah i remember boysen. it's kind of hard to fish in utah after you've fished wyoming. i can understand why you'd move there. i hope when i grow up my life is half as good as yours.
[signature]
A bare hook? You've spent too much time in the Uintas. You've obviosly never caught a large brook trout. Oh, and my brook trout won't eat cheese.
I won't argue this point any longer. To each their own. I think half of it is where the fish you chase live. I love alpine lakes and rare big fish. Walleye are deffinately a difficult fish, and temperamental in their feeding habits. I'm probably just jealous because a serious walleye guy needs a nice boat and I don't have one. With a motor, that is.
I still hate bucket biologists.
[signature]
I wouldn't say the DWR is worthless. Drew is doing what he can with what he has from what I understand. I wish the loud voices of the trout fisherman would catch and get into the sport of walleye, N. Pike, Musky fishing so they know why we have such a passion for these species. Then maybe we could get some more time on the radar screen of the UT DWR.
[signature]
1 . PBH wipe the Smile off your face. As if you had no clue where this was going.

2. The thread was out BB's and the non sustainability of walleye in Utah in most waters. Not about the fighting abilities of certain fish species.

3. I don't see where anyone has supported their position that walleye are the answer to many impoundments in the state of Utah with any real facts- actual facts pertaining to fishery biology..

4. Many of the assumptions made here against the DWR are based on opinions not researched knowledge. And I'm not always in agreement with the direction they may go but I try to find the reasons why that decision took place.

5. Have to say the thread was entertaining and I like to be entertained. Thank you
[signature]
Packfish -- fun, isn't it?

[quote CROSSINEYES]why brook trout???...heck they have ruined the uintas for big fish like cuts and goldens..[/quote]

It's very ironic that you can recognize the problems that brook trout create when put into an environment where their population cannot be controlled, but at the same time you cannot recognize the problems with walleye when they are put into an environment where their population cannot be controlled. I have to make an assessment that your personal preferences are clouding your judgment.

Like Packfish, I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how Red Fleet is a good fit for walleye???

Utah is a poor fit for walleye. Plain and simple.
[signature]
That is not true, in Calif waters there are many reservoirs where Stripers spawn. What do you call the spawn in the Colorado river nonsense.
[signature]
all fish can be controlled. its call effort. dwr is not putting fourth the effort to mannage walleye correctley. water levels are key to managing walleye and bait fish. no water meens no fry no fry meens crash ahead. so simple even a kid knows fish can swim without water. brookie go to cliff lake and tell me brooks dont eat chease. i have caught big brooks on the bolder. but they are brooks on steroids ive seen them to 9 pounds. this post was the most ive been entertained on bft for ever. thanks.
[signature]
[quote CROSSINEYES]all fish can be controlled. its call effort. dwr is not putting fourth the effort to mannage walleye correctley. water levels are key to managing walleye and bait fish. no water meens no fry no fry meens crash ahead. so simple even a kid knows fish can swim without water. brookie go to cliff lake and tell me brooks dont eat chease. i have caught big brooks on the bolder. but they are brooks on steroids ive seen them to 9 pounds. this post was the most ive been entertained on bft for ever. thanks.[/quote]

You're requesting things that the DWR has NO control over- thus no can do but it's their fault in your eyes. Need to deal with facts and what can be actually be done. 9# brook on the BoUlders- should have kept it and had the record.
[signature]