Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wierdest Catch
[angelic] I guesss you just pray hard enough and the lord will provide the supper.[laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
i also caught a bat in the grand canyon fishing the colorado at night. it actually was attacking my fishing line cuz its yellow. as i was really in it was on my line, it was too dark to see so i thought i had a strike because i could feel something on the end. next thing i know something falls right in front of my feet in the cold water and i look down and scoop up a small bat in the sand. took it a minute to dry and warm up and flew away out of my hands. pretty cool.
[signature]
When I lived in texas me and my brother-in-law were fishing for channel cats in a cattle pond. He was reeling in a night crawler link to cast it back out when a 2 pound large mouth nailed it. Not the wierdest catch but sure did get a good laugh out of it. good fishing, matt
[signature]
[cool] I bet that woke you up in a hurry. Yee haw. Sounds like fun. I'm offf to the Cat Pond right now. Close enough to the full moon for me.
[signature]
I witnessed the wierdest catches night fly-fishing at fishlake from the shore. We caught a bat, a muskrat, and a beaver. The beaver got to his lodge so we had to break the line. The muskrat had to be cut off with the hook still in him. The bat actually inhaled too much water to be revived.
[signature]
Now thats a fishing story...LOL
[signature]
Weirdest catch for me would be a smallie with another lure hanging off its lip. Caught at Jordanelle, i guess the previous angler did not know how to tie a knot so I kept the lure and gave the fish back. I did witness polo_kid catch himself when we were about 10 or so. Very funny right after my dad told us to be careful or we might hook ourselves, them bam, polo_kid was hooked, I think it was right in the tender part in his thumb right next to the nail but I do not remember...
[signature]
My weirdest catch was more amazing than weird, it was a hummingbird. While fishing the SouthFork of Og. I was working a hole and a hummingbird came and started to hover in front of me about 15-20 feet away. I told my friend I was fishing with to watch this I'm going to catch me a hummingbird. After a couple casts I flipped my tippet over the top of the bird and it looped around him, and down he went into the water, but he was able to free himself seconds later and flew off. That tripped me out because of how fast and small they are that I was actually able to get him.

Always fishing....Barbless.
[signature]
Fishing at Bird Island for Big cats,my pardner had a large cat on for about 5 min.,it broke him off.About a half a hour later I landed a large Catfish that still had my pardners hook in him!
[signature]
[cool]I heard tell that Hustler got a nice diver out at Blue Lakes. Here's a pic (attached)
[signature]
Two of them - Limb line fishing (line tied to limb over river in Kansas) with a frog. Caught a HUGE water moccassin. My brother and I in small john boat. He threw me a knife that I caught on the fly, cut the line, snake swam one direction and we rowed the other. Second - caught some rainbows at Mill Meadow with my son. Cleaned them at the lake. Son looked at the guts and said "Try one of these, Daddy." I put what looked like an esophagus on a large Super Duper spinner and said, "Son, this will never work." Spinner hit the water, two or three cranks, and WHAM! Played it for a while then it broke my 6 lb. test.
[signature]
[cool] Its fun to hear the stories. And good job with the pics there TD. Keep them rolling just I am rolling on the floor laughing at some of these. I do feel a little bad when animals are involved but I guess that is part of life.[Smile]
[signature]
I caught myself. I was fly fishing at Star Lake near Trial Lake in the Uintas. It was pretty windy and on a back cast the fly line hit the end of my pole and then a glob of line hit me in the face. Unfortunately the fly was in the glob and hooked my cheek about one inch under my right eye. The barb of the #16 hook was under my skin. I pulled and pulled but I could not back the hook out. It really hurt trying to back it out like that. I really didn't want to ruin the fly because it had been working so well and it was my last one. I could not see what I was doing so I tried to use a puddle like a mirror, but I couldn't see details in the shadow of my face. It then started to rain, then hail, so I finally cut the leader so only the fly was hooked to me and I could put on my rain poncho. I was going to leave the fly in my face and have my parents get it out back at camp but it was such a distraction in my vision that it was driving me crazy. And the skin was starting to swell up and get puffy from all the pulling. So I finally did it. Pain and all, I pushed it all the way through my skin. It hurt! Then I carefully snapped the point and barb off of the hook with needlenosed pliers. I was then able to back the hook out. It sure missed that good fly as I went back to fishing.
[signature]
Its been a while since I was on this board but had to get in on this one. I caught a pair of tighty whities while trolling for stripers at Lake Powell last spring! It was then I remembered why I keep gloves on my boat!! Not much of a fight but pulled like I was hooked to a tire!
[signature]
One of my wierdest catches was while I was in oregon- I had on an entire chicken leg for catching dungeness crab. After about 5 casts, I was realing it up, and it was heavier than heck. When I finally got it up, a 28 inch ling cod had the entire leg in his mouth. Also, I've caught quite a few rainbows in these urban ponds that have taken the carp I was using for catfish!
[signature]
When I was about 12 or 13, me and a friend where bass fishing on a golf course lake in texas. My friend threw a horrible cast and his rattle trap snagged a golfers pants. He cut the line and we ran the other way. Oh yea, a few days later we were at the same spot on the lake and some elderly golfers had their golf cart roll into the lake. Good fishing, Matt
[signature]
Ok... this is a repeat. I posted it once before back on May 4, 2003

[size 1]Well... It's not a fish, but it's truly rare and weird. I once snagged a Freshwater Jellyfish with a spinner up at Bear Lake. I was thoroughly disgusted, thinking it was a condom at first, until I took a closer look. I don't believe there's ever been a reported siting from Bear Lake. Check out [/size][url "http://nsm1.nsm.iup.edu/tpeard/jellyfish.html"][size 1]http://nsm1.nsm.iup.edu/tpeard/jellyfish.html[/size][/url][size 1] to see just how rare they are.[/size]

[size 1][/size]
[signature]
Interesting link, never knew there were freshies out there.
[signature]
That last post was me.
[signature]
[#0000ff]Well it wasn't all that wierd, but I caught a brand new G-Loomis rod with a nice Shimano reel on it a couple months ago. Fishing at Jordanelle.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff] Not that weird cuz a lake is kinda the natural environment for a fishing pole. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff] But it was pretty darn lucky. Its my favoritist jigging rod now, and its caught quite a few walleye allready.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff] walleyebob[/#0000ff]
[signature]