Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backpackin' the Boulders
Agree with you completely too much pressure ruins a great thing. The one thing that helps keep this good is it's a lot of hard work and most people are too lazy to do it. I hope the masses stay this way and I hope that the crew that fishes daily never catches onto it either. However, it is nice to get a tip when you're new to an area or didn't have a Dad show you how. That's why the PM feature is great.
[signature]
Give me a break.

maybe it's time to come up with a list of lakes and streams in Utah that we are, and are not, allowed to discuss. Who's going to come up with the "keep it secret" list so that we know what's OK and what isn't? What criteria are we going to use to determine what fisheries can handle pressure, and what fisheries cannot?

I feel like there is a lot of paranoid people on these forums lately. The rapture did not occur. We all lived. We have a few more months until the next scheduled "end of the world".

Rumor on the street is that Strawberry is fishing HOT right now. (is that OK to say? Or will I have the hotspotting police over at utahfishingtalk.com complaining about me for saying that?!)
[signature]
+10
i cant believe you just gave away my secret lake!!! oh and dont say a word about birch creek either! sometimes people blow my mind how they think they have this great hidden lake they will keep to themself
[signature]
+1 to that.

Didn't I see Jacksonman make some big public resignation from the forum not that long ago?

Albino rightfully reached out for input and generated an informative DISCUSSION. You can't have a group discussion via PM. Used to have an inflatable kayak that fit in my backpack. Had some great trips to lakes in the High Sierras in N. Cali.

I can understand reserving honey-holes, GPS points, your favorite rock to stand on, but please - these are PUBLIC LAKES on PUBLIC LAND being discussed on a PUBLIC FORUM. And as stated - ya gotta work for it! Don't think the Powersquad is gonna bring their PWCs and blast it!

Seriously - at least he didn't mention Birch Creek (duoh, I shouldna said that!).

If you check - the DNR lists various information on all the lakes around, and if you go talk to a ranger in the area - they'll reveal all kinds of "secrets". Stocking reports can "give it away" a bit too.

And what - Strawberry has fish?!?!
Damned - I'm heading THERE!
Wait and see if June warms up and melt the Uintas. But if still too much snow and are willing to drive as far as the Boulders/1000 Lake Mountain area my advise is consider going to the Wind River Range instead. More scenic (and less litter), plenty of solitude and still great fishing. Chance to get into some golden trout as well. Only downside is you'll need Wyoming Licence but for a comparable drive a much nicer destination. Snowpack up there doesn't look too bad but obviously for any of these trips you need to keep an eye on the snow situation. I did my first backpacking trip with my son to the Wind Rivers when he was about 10. Good Luck and enjoy the trip wherever you end up.
[signature]
Party hans't started until PBH comes out to impart his limitless wisdom to use.[crazy]

Do you really need someone to explain the difference between Strawberry and Boulder mtn lakes in regards to the sensitivity of pressure? Really?

Discuss Boulder Mtn as a whole but leave specific lakes out. I am amazed at how little some people think and use common sense on here. If you think a lake with 1000 nice brookies can handle being being hotspotted on a public forum, you should reconsider calling yourself a fisherman! There is difference between those fishermen who put in the their time discovering little gems and those fishermen who go to a public forum, read about an area producing 4 lb brookies or 5 lb tigers, then go up with their buddies, kill everything they catch and leave all their trash behind. Yes I know that is an over-generalization but we all know there is a lot of truth to it.

And please stop bringing up the BS "It is a public water on public lands" ridiculous argument. It really makes you look stupid. If it is so public, let the public discover it themselves after hours and days and weeks and hundreds of dollars of preparation since it is so accessible to the public. No need to let the world know the details of how a 1 acre pond is fishing.

I'll let you know if Strawberry is fishing well. Probably going Friday. Went up two weeks ago at ice off and caught about 15 in two hours, all but one were rainbows under 16"s.

Do so many of you really lack the common sense that it takes to preserve Utah's best small fishing holes?
[signature]
[quote Jacksonman]
Do so many of you really lack the common sense that it takes to preserve Utah's best small fishing holes?[/quote]

Preserve? Are you kidding me?! You think that preserving our pristine fishing holes is a matter of "private messages" vs. "open discussion"???

Somebody needs to tell the UDWR to stop naming fisheries in their reporting. They can still post fishing reports, but leave the locations out. Further, if someone calls them asking for information about fisheries, they should lie and tell them not to go to those places -- you know -- to "preserver" them.

This world truly is screwed up! Jackson -- get off the interweb and go outside!!

If preserving our State's fisheries is your truly your motivation, then "hotspotting" on the internet shouldn't be your concern. Further, it wouldn't be brook trout waters that you'd be concerned with! In fact, if your motivation truly was preservation, then you'd be asking people to harvest more brook trout off fisheries on the Boulder!
[signature]
Typica PBH. Take a few words out of one line and then play word games.

I like that udwr reports their stocking. That way people can do their research and put in the time to find great fishing waters. Does that not make sense or do you need me to explain that in more detail?

From your posts it sounds like no water should be shielded from pressure at all? Is that correct? If that is the case why don't you tell us all your three favorite small fishing waters, what you caught, how you caught them at the exact days and time of day you caught them?

My point is simple. Great small fishing holes should be earned. Nit given away. Ever hear the phrase not to cast pearls before swine? Very applicable here. But the swine cam have the pearls if they do what it tales to earn them.

And let me guess, you don't like me using the word earn so you will write a whole post on that too?!
[signature]
You know, I keep pretty quiet on here (an other forums that I bum around in), but this is pathetic. Why does everything have to be such a secret?

I just moved back here (Utah) a couple years ago and I appreciate the folks willing to share a little information. Do I need them to hold my hand and tell me every little detail of their success? Nope, but it is nice to share a little. Otherwise, why are we on here (other than to boast and brag about our fish stories)?

I am a 99.99% catch and release guy, I pickup my own trash (and other's), and I respect every fishery I visit (all over the country). Does it really hurt to share a little info with soemone like me? I LOVE to share with other fisherman (and women) and do so whenever I can.

I don't like to see fisheries wasted and trashed anymore than you do, but honestly, if someone is too lazy to obey the rules and pickup their own trash, are they really going to drive all that way to do a little fishing? I doubt it. I would guess that a large percentage of the unfortunate crap I see while fishing is done by a local, not someone who had to actually spend his/her $$$ on and travel to enjoy a fishing opportunity that they realize is special and treats it so.

Paying my taxes and buying my fishing license give me every right to fish anywhere that it is legal and share my "secrets" with whoever I want. If you want to share with me, thank you. If not, no big deal. But don't try to dictate what I should share and who I should share it with. I have some special places that I enjoy and I don't scream about them at the top of my lungs, but if someone asks, I don't mind sharing one bit.
[signature]
I just answered some questions about the Boulders to a new guy on BFT who PM'ed me and I would have no problem sharing similar info with you. But on a public forum like BFT, 5% of the viewers post on BFT and are registered users, and the other 95% are lurkers who don't contribute at all. I would also bet that a huge percentage of those lurkers, compared to the actual posters and contributers, are not catch and release, litter more than average and don't care about the long-term health of these systems. I know that is a generalization but in general, it is probably accurate.

Send me a PM, I will give you some great info. Heck, I'll even invite you to join on trips or plan a trip to get out fishing together.

I just think a little more common sense and logic and prudence needs to be practiced when posting all smaller waters.
[signature]
[quote Jacksonman]

From your posts it sounds like no water should be shielded from pressure at all? Is that correct?[/quote]

Regulations can, and are, used to protect waters that need protection. I'm not sure exactly what some of you would define as "pressure", but I'm assuming that it would equate to "harvest". If harvest is an issue, then reduced limits should be enforced to protect, or "shield" these waters. Limiting information regarding these waters is NOT the solution. Education would certainly be another strategy to help protect, or "shield" these waters.

[quote Jacksonman]
If that is the case why don't you tell us all your three favorite small fishing waters, what you caught, how you caught them at the exact days and time of day you caught them? [/quote]

Well, since you asked:
1. EF Sevier River. Rainbow, brown, and cutthroat trout. Typically use buggers and nymps. Fish caught year-round, time of day not specific.

2. WF Deer Creek. Cutthroat trout. Hoppers. mid-late summer. middle of the day when taking a break from hunting.

3. Minersville Reservoir. Rainbow, cutthroat trout. Buggers. April - October. morning, before the wind blows.

[quote Jacksonman]My point is simple. Great small fishing holes should be earned. Nit given away. [/quote]

Nobody said otherwise. Just because a suggestion is made doesn't mean that the person is not going to earn something. That person still must go to the lake, and make the effort. Just because I tell you where to go, what to use, what time of day to fish, and how to hold your mouth DOES NOT MEAN YOU'LL CATCH FISH. You are correct, you still have to do the work. no argument from me here.

[quote Jacksonman]
And let me guess, you don't like me using the word earn so you will write a whole post on that too?![/quote]

Merriam-webster defines earn as: to receive as return for effort and especially for work done or services rendered.

If a person looks at a map and finds a lake, makes an inquiry concerning that lake, get's a response with some information, uses that information to go to that lake, and then catches a fish -- would that not fit the definition provided above with respect to "earn"? I certainly think so.

If you don't like giving out information, then don't. But don't ask me to keep my knowledge to myself. I enjoy helping others have successful experiences at places I love. I feel great when i get those emails after the trip saying "hey, we had a great trip! Thanks for the info..".
[signature]
I got to say I somewhat agree with Jackson, but that "IS" the beauty of the NET and this forum is one of the few that promotes, even encourages this.
No, they are not private, but 6 out of 10 fishers (being generous) will venture out on their own. The rest look for ease...nothing wrong with that either, but it does come at a price.
Two big examples of the NET, and news reports including maps like the late Doug Miller offered, have changed a few lakes big time. Still good but they will never be the same...UNLESS regulations are put out.
Like Pyramid, Henry's Chesterfield, Daniels, even the Green, just to name a few I have visited. I have seen big time changes to these waters due to .....well, TALK.
But, like anything else unfair, this too will continue, and will never stop.

I agree with PM's. That is one on one not one to whom ever (or is it who?) is on the net at that time. Plus more personal and open for questions and details....why are PM's so hard or so frowned upon?
[signature]
Last comment from me on this one. Did you ever see me complain about giving info to those who have put in the work?? Nope. I said to respond in pm form so the hundreds if not thousands of lurkers who put in no work won't just be handed gems on a silver platter. Too hard to understand?

I have respindex with detailed info to every pm I get. I also love helping others get into great fishing. I don't like going back to a favorite out of he way fishing hole that was hard to find and then find beer cans everywhere and poor fishing.

Regulations are always behind current needs. You know that. But dwr can't regulate public forms. Regulating harvest insnt always the answer especially on small waters. I am more concerned with angler hours on any particular small water. With angler hours comes loss of serenity, high morality of fish, even if released, and bigger fish get spooked and get much harder to target. There is a reason community ponds don't grow big fish, even if there was a catch and release only policy.

I like how your three small water spots were all well known large systems that are rather technical to fish. To be more accurate why dont you give the exact gps location of your favoritr spots on these favorite waters with pictures of the big fish you caught there? In essence that is what is being done when discussing the small alpine lakes on these mountains. These are 1 or 2 or 5 acre ponds that can only be fished for 5 months with a lot of hungry fish who are not picky most of the time.

Is it really too much to ask to not share details about specific small waters or certain locations on a public forum that can be accessed by any Joe blow fisherman? I hope you share info with those who have put in the time and effort and who are ethical fishermen. But why do it in a way that reveals the same info to all?
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]...
Like Pyramid, Henry's Chesterfield, Daniels, even the Green, just to name a few I have visited. I have seen big time changes to these waters due to .....well, TALK. [/quote]

Flygoddes -- no real argument with you and your comments. I would like to make one point concerning the examples you gave: Good fishing.

good fishing ALWAYS comes at a price. That price is increased popularity. You cannot place full blame of increased popularity, or pressure, on the WWW. You MUST consider that GOOD fishing is a HUGE part of the reason that these fisheries see an increase in pressure.

Back the Boulder Mountains: consider, prior to the sport fish improvement project (which included renovation of some brook trout lakes), were we having this same discussion concerning lakes like the Willow Bottoms? No. In fact, most people had never heard of them, nor cared to ever fish them. However, since the change these lakes have experienced a tremendous increase in popularity. Why? No, not because of the internet. The reason is because of the fish. The marked improvement of the fishery is the reason more people flock to these places. That's not a bad thing!
[signature]
We will definately have waders. Good to know about the grayling. We will be sure to check it out. Thanks!a
[signature]
But, how do they hear of "the Fish" I know I have a few lakes with BIG FISH that I knew nothing about and probably would never know, if it were not for the net.
In fact, I not only have found more lakes, river, streams, but good friends and not so good friends.
Just me I guess, but I think the WWW is a huge reason for this.
How many times have you heard, "I had no idea the fish where that big in here" which just tells me, they are everywhere and nice to get, but also a great subject/topic to put out for the world to see.

Big fish do attract people, but if they can hear or read where there are big fish, how do they go there?

Big fish very cool, but the fishers are the one call everyone to come and look.
[signature]
you think it's the WWW, and I think it's simply because our population growth.

Utah has grown from 2.2 million (2000) to 2.9 million people (2010). That's an increase of 700,000 people in 10 years. Of course more people are finding their way to more of our fisheries. I won't deny that the www certainly plays a role, but I don't believe that reports will be the demise of our fisheries.
[signature]
[quote Jacksonman]To be more accurate why dont you give the exact gps location of your favoritr spots on these favorite waters with pictures of the big fish you caught there?[/quote]

Who said anything about me catching big fish? Is that what this is about Jackson? Big fish? you get more selfish the more you talk.

I can't upload Google Placemarkers. So, you'll have to settle for this: 12S 402281mE 4227786mN
[Image: 100_7264.jpg]
[signature]
The access of the WWW, and distinct population growth are related, are they not? What was the percentage of computer owners back in the year 2000, anyone? I'm quite sure that number has more than quadrupled.

And with this population growth, comes the added responsibility of preserving our fisheries. I don't care what you say, the higher the population growth in a given region, the more pressure a fishery will receive. (for the good or for the bad)

Both points of views have truths:

There is nothing wrong with helping someone who wants to go catch a fish and is looking for pointers. This is a forum, we're in here to help each other with fishing. Some, like TD have been more than kind in giving all kinds of information. I know that I have appreciated him and others, and thanked them for their generosity. With fishing, there is always learning.

On the other side of the coin, we have to use some common sense with the smaller fishing areas. If we want some of these places to keep producing, it's probably best not to 'hot-spot' and make it public. Some places like Strawberry and UL can handle the pressure. Some other, obvious places cannot.
[signature]
Ok. This is seriously my last post.

I am convinced, PBH, that you just like hearing yourself talk (or type).

Are you really contributing increased fishing pressure to population growth, more so than public fishing forums on the net? Really?

All the reports I have read are that less and less people are getting outdoors these days due to the poor economy and all the instant entertainment offered by modern technology. Signs of this include the percentage of the population that is overweight. You are crazier than I thought you were if you don't think these public forums are the #1 resource for fishermen trying to find the new amazing fishing spot. So without doing one ounce of research or without putting any time at all, people like you are giving hundreds of fisherman all they need to hit up a small water with nice fish. And then guess what happens. These several dozen people who actually make it to the spot, tell everyone at work, on facebook and their buddies what an amazing trip they had to lake X and how great the big fish tasted. And then a few more dozen people go, with a few leaving their trash behind, and pretty soon the reports aren't so hot anymore because the fishing is no longer like it was before it was hot spotted. Not always, but often enough.

You call me selfish, and I say heck yes I am. What fisherman isn't to some extent?! I don't go out fishing to just cast a line and be surrounded by lots of strangers. I go fishing to get away from the crowds and to land (and release 95% of the time) nice fish! But don't call me for a second unwilling to share or take others out. I have put many good friends, and acquaintances who have become good friends, on big fish in hidden places than you could imagine. I actually prefer helping others get into good fish while with me then to fish alone.

You can keep arguing your point until you are blue in the face. You may be the one with the last word on the matter. Still doesn't make you right. The more you talk, the less intelligent you sound on this subject. So you may want to let it go. But I know you can't.

I'll be fishing the Boulders in June and September. If anyone wants to know more info, please PM me. Thanks.
[signature]