Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backpackin' the Boulders
Ok another question for all you boulderites out there. Is there any willow bushes near the lakes or even in the boulder area? I have an idea and will need some willow. Thanks!
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]Ok another question for all you boulderites out there. Is there any willow bushes near the lakes or even in the boulder area? I have an idea and will need some willow. Thanks![/quote] Yes.
[signature]
Thanks. Not knowing how they grow would I need to stop at the lower elevations or wait until I get on the trail to find some?
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]Not knowing how they grow would I need to stop at the lower elevations or wait until I get on the trail to find some?[/quote]

Just how high do you plan on going? 20,000 ft.? (FWIW the Boulders aren't that high!)
[signature]
Never having been there I was just wondering what the foilage was like. Thanks for all your help.[cool]
[signature]
It's about like any other 10,000' mountain range.

quakies, pines, spruces, and (yep) willows around the water.

While I'm not a Stoner supporter, his website does have some good photographs. Take a look -- it should help you out...
http://www.bouldermountainguide.com/arealakes.html

have fun.
[signature]
Thanks. I will take a look at it.
[signature]
Thanks for the link! His site certainly has a good picture catalog of the Boulder Lakes.
[signature]
Yes I agree as well as a wealth of information on fishing the area as well. [cool] definately looks promising. And I gotta tie one of those woolly worms that look like a tent caterpillar too.[Smile]
[signature]
I was thinking of hitting Donkey next week. Would you have any suggestions what I might use this time of year?

Thanks!
[signature]
streamers
[signature]
At Donkey? This time of year you could probably throw out a bare hook and still catch all the brook trout you want.

Seriously, any of your standard trout stuff should be just fine.
[signature]
With brook trout is never a matter of catching all you want. It's catching anything of size. Big streamers. If you're stilll catching dinks it's too small. I bring size 6-10 streamers this time of year.
[signature]
Thanks, guys.

I've got a couple black woolly buggers I wanted to use as well. My only streamers are black and white. Has anyone had any luck on a particular color streamer?

Thanks for the input.
[signature]
For me white , black, brown, purple, orange and chartreuse are all very productive. But I'm sure other colors would work too if you tried them. Just use what you have on hand and don't worry about it.
[signature]
Jigs. And tube the lake below for better brooks.
[signature]
[quote riverdog]With brook trout is never a matter of catching all you want. It's catching anything of size. Big streamers. If you're stilll catching dinks it's too small. I bring size 6-10 streamers this time of year.[/quote]

That depends on the lake. At Donkey, the fish are all the same size. So it doesn't matter.

[quote riverdog]Just use what you have on hand and don't worry about it.[/quote]

Excellent advice. Use the KISS principal. Keep It Simple Stupid. Don't try to make this harder than it really is. Take your standard trout stuff, and give it try. You'll have a good time.
[signature]
[quote PBH]

While I'm not a Stoner supporter, his website does have some good photographs. Take a look -- it should help you out...
http://www.bouldermountainguide.com/arealakes.html

have fun.[/quote]

Ya too bad the @$$hole steals your pictures. More than one of those tiger trout or mine. We killed them on a flies he laughed at using. He makes you sign a waiver and promises your pictures --NOPE!
[signature]