Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monster Panfish at Cutler (8-23)
I use roostertail spinners up against the rocks while looking for White Bass. Usually the size spinner I get them on is 1/8th or smaller but the Willard one at 8 inches was caught on a 4 inch swimtail for bass, which was half his length!

The 8 inch monster Green Sunfish!
[Image: 736544.JPG]
[signature]
Quote:My twin threw a buzzbait and got a few hits but no hook ups. It was in shallow water as well.

I had 3 misses on the buzzbait that same night I lost that big girl. Two seemed pretty standard and the other made this deep thunk sound when it's mouth cupped the surface. It sounded pretty big. Oddly enough the next night I went back and not a hit. I really need to get a canoe so that I can explore all those backwaters.

On a side note, with all this talk of large panfish, I caught a perch today that was 1.5" short of the Idaho record.[inline "giant perch small.JPG"]
[signature]
Either you've got really small hands, or that's a really big perch! Ah- but was it the C&R record or no?
Don't know that I could part with a chunker like that. Looks like one of those starvation +Footlonger+

If you wanna come float out there sometime, I've usually got room to spare.
That's a hella nice perch!
[signature]
Thanks guys! Well, I'm 6'2" and wear an XL glove and size 12-13 shoe. I taped it at 14". I thought it was a bass when I hooked it, then I saw it's striped body come to the surface and was kind of shocked. I only saw a standard catch and keep record for Idaho, and the record was 15.5". That was caught clear back in the 70s. If I hadn't been going to work right after fishing I probably would have made a few tacos out of him, but he's safe and sound back in the reservoir.

Coyote, if we can figure out a good time to do it, I'd love to explore Cutler with you.
[signature]
Holy Perch-zilla!
[signature]
Hey if your interested Muddy Road Outfitters rents canoes on the Cutler reservoir or Bear River pretty cheap. FYI 435-753-3693
[signature]
That's good to know, thanks for the info. I will definitely check them out.
[signature]
Wow, all of these are some nice panfish.

Gstott, that is one very impressive perch!
[signature]
I have a little confession they are my Mom and Dad so it's sort of uncool for me to advertise but I think they can offer something that might help you. If you aren't worried about having a clean canoe tell my Mom when you call and it will save her some work washing them up. I may hit her up about a fishermans special where she could rent one from their dock as is for a little less that would help both you and her out. The canoes really help for exploring that area but take some sunscreen and water you can get carried away. It's also a fun area to wade in gym shoes and shorts. One area that hasn't been mentioned much lately is the old church farm ox bow that place used to be full of bass and crappie. With a canoe you can quickly access that from Muddy Road. Dad can show you how to get there or let me know when you're coming and I can show you. Good luck. J
[signature]
That's okay, I still appreciate the info and will check them out. That slough by the church is actually what has me the most interested. I guess I could try taking my float tube out there, but I'm worried about getting my legs stuck in the mud or other debris.

And thanks cpierce for the compliment.
[signature]
A lot of people do pretty well in that slough below the church but I've never caught much there but I really haven't tried much either. Good luck. J
[signature]