Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monster Panfish at Cutler (8-23)
[quote gstott]I lost a beast in the marsh on a black buzzbait at dusk about a month or so ago. It threw water three feet in the air and just about ripped my arm off before it came off. They are definitely in there.[/quote]

My twin threw a buzzbait and got a few hits but no hook ups. It was in shallow water as well.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][/quote]

You guys I have 2 witnesses, it aint a fish tale.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry. That ruler I posted was not a comment on your post. Not challenging you. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, whenever witnesses are family or fishing buddies the possibility of "collusion" might exist. Then again, those who know you well might make the worst witnesses. Depends on what you got on them...and what they got against you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just a comment. When you have a potential sunfish record that is only 1" off the mark, it might as well be a foot short. Once bluegills or sunfish reach the 10 inch category every tenth of an inch represents a long time growing and good food resources. They slow way down then and anything bigger is gonna be really rare. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Still...nice fish and good report. Keep up the good work.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Sorry. That ruler I posted was not a comment on your post. Not challenging you. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just a comment. When you have a potential sunfish record that is only 1" off the mark, it might as well be a foot short. Once bluegills or sunfish reach the 10 inch category every tenth of an inch represents a long time growing and good food resources. They slow way down then and anything bigger is gonna be really rare. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Still...nice fish and good report. Keep up the good work.[/#0000ff][/quote]

You know I was thinking the same thing on growth rates of that bluegill. I considered that before I kept it. Thanks for confirming my therory as I am not exactly an expert on bluegills (never caught any till this year). Still I get all happy when I get a monster. It is rare that I pull big one's out.....like super rare.

I will pull it out of the freezer and take a measurement pic for you non-believers, although it has been filleted already but the length is still intact.

Yes I measured twice (once the water and when I got home) and posted it once.

Do they experience "shrinkage" when in the freezer?
[signature]
Quote:Do they experience "shrinkage" when in the freezer?

I know I do.
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins]
Do they experience "shrinkage" when in the freezer? [/quote]

Cold = shrinkage - yeah, I'd say so.
Oh - wait you're talking about the fish.

Always wondered - why do they call it Freezer "Burn"?

And remember - as George Carlin sez - "it's ok to prick your finger, but . . . "
But that was MY trip out on Cutler. Healing up nice (my FINGER)- glad it was a small hook and not a big treble to cause trouble!

As for growth - yah, I'd agree. The Gills and Crappie grow UP more than OUT after a point. So it's back to the ol' Length vs Girth debate.
My fast-growing son caught a 6 3/4" green sunfish from Mantua last weekend....biggest one I've seen since I've fished there. I know they get bigger though. Isn't the record green sunfish 10" or along those lines?

Agree with TD, conditions have to be just right for the record-class fish; and their rate of growth slows way down after a certain length.

TyeDye- shrinkage occurs anytime anything freezes. Physics 101. Wise man once told me never to jump into the water during ice fishing season- your g/f will never look at you the same.
[signature]
[quote lavaman]My fast-growing son caught a 6 3/4" green sunfish from Mantua last weekend....biggest one I've seen since I've fished there. I know they get bigger though. Isn't the record green sunfish 10" or along those lines?

Agree with TD, conditions have to be just right for the record-class fish; and their rate of growth slows way down after a certain length.

TyeDye- shrinkage occurs anytime anything freezes. Physics 101. Wise man once told me never to jump into the water during ice fishing season- your g/f will never look at you the same.[/quote]

The record is 10 inches for a C&R green sunfish. Last time I went out with CvFisher at Willard bay I nailed a 8 inch Greenie while fishing for SMB's. Once again we busted out the proc and were semi-disapointed that it was not a record. Still I finally got a real fillet out of a Green Sunfish. I have yet to find a Greenie at Mantua, all I get are gills there and an ocassional LMB and once a trout.

The choice word of "shrinkage" was a seinfeld reference.[Wink]
[signature]
"Do they experience "shrinkage" when in the freezer?"

[cool][#0000ff]Not so much from the cold as from loss of moisture. Any fish that you plan to submit for a record should be officially measured and weighed as quickly after catching it as possible. They begin to dehydrate (shrink) as soon as they die. Freezing accelerates the dehydration process.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Another thought: Why do you even care about the "non-believers"? Catch your fish, put up your posts and don't pet the sweaty stuff...or however that goes. And don't let other folks make you change your personal outlooks or ways of fishing...or whether or not to keep a few fish. That is nobody's business but your own.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Always good to listen to the input and opinions of other people...but be careful how much credibility you give them...especially if they got a few problems of their own. And who hasn't?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote Pharticus]Multiple record breaking fish, eh?

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/vernal/re..._lake.html[/quote]

Goes to show, not everyone gives a record of their fish, I do have a foto somewhere of a gill lying on the apron...tad under 12".
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins]I have yet to find a Greenie at Mantua, all I get are gills there and an ocassional LMB and once a trout.

[/quote]

You've caught perch there at Mantua, no? Once in a while a fat one finds the end of my hook. We've had many discussions on here about the 'stunted' 'gills and perch in that pond, and possible solutions to the problem.
[signature]
That's a nice bluegill for sure. Whatever you guys paid for those haircuts you got screwed.[Smile]
[signature]
[quote 2fishon]That's a nice bluegill for sure. Whatever you guys paid for those haircuts you got screwed.[Smile][/quote]

[:p]
[signature]
[quote lavaman]
TyeDye- shrinkage occurs anytime anything freezes. Physics 101. [/quote]

Not to pick nits - but - actually Water Expands when it freezes, were it otherwise your Ice Fishing adventures would require a mask and airtank (and a very forgiving g/f!)

[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]don't pet the sweaty stuff...or however that goes. And don't let other folks make you change your personal outlooks or ways of fishing...or whether or not to keep a few fish. That is nobody's business but your own.[/#0000ff]
[/quote]
Up to a point I totalitarian agree witcha. But then there's that dude that had the TigerMusky filleted in his cooler. THAT crossed a line (and I know you know it). But on the plus side - he also got his just dessert!
[center]Keeping within the regs - - - of course.
[/center]
One of my personal peeves is to ensure any kept fish are "treated well", as in not wasted, nor abused - well - except carp.

My casting net and Bow-reel are due to arrive today! Wohoo! Gonna beat Lava's 21" carp this weekend - 4 shore! Just have to measure before I freeze!
Utah Lake has a few green sunfish with size to them as well. Check it:
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=595840"]panfish addicts[/url]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude]

[#0000ff]Another thought: Why do you even care about the "non-believers"? Catch your fish, put up your posts and don't pet the sweaty stuff...or however that goes. And don't let other folks make you change your personal outlooks or ways of fishing...or whether or not to keep a few fish. That is nobody's business but your own.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Always good to listen to the input and opinions of other people...but be careful how much credibility you give them...especially if they got a few problems of their own. And who hasn't?[/#0000ff][/quote]

Yep I have to agree with ya TD. I really could care less what others think of it. I know the size of that fish as does my twin and good friend. It is a memory that will never leave my mind until the next big one.
[signature]
[quote lavaman][quote TyeDyeTwins]I have yet to find a Greenie at Mantua, all I get are gills there and an ocassional LMB and once a trout.

[/quote]

You've caught perch there at Mantua, no? Once in a while a fat one finds the end of my hook. We've had many discussions on here about the 'stunted' 'gills and perch in that pond, and possible solutions to the problem.[/quote]

The yellow perch was over 5 years ago so I barely remember it. I tried to get them this year at Mantua but I never got a single one. Pineview has treated me well for my perch addiction during the past 2 trips there.
[signature]
[quote wagdog]Utah Lake has a few green sunfish with size to them as well. Check it:
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=595840"]panfish addicts[/url][/quote]

Yep that is where I caught my 1st greenie and for a while that is where I targeted them. Yours is HUGE! Mine were usually 4 to 6 inches which were not so bad. Did you find yours tucked in the rocks as well in UL? Here is a pic of my 1st greenie, which are actually my favorite fish to catch. I guess to me they look like a tropical fish you'd find in a fish shop.

My 1st ever Green Sunfish at 5.5 inches long, very pretty though.
[Image: 720967.JPG]
The Green Sunfish with a binky (my finger) in it's mouth.
[Image: 720968.JPG][/quote]
[signature]
Always seems to be a few hanging out in the rocks. That particular one from the panfish addicts post was caught during the bluegill spawn. I was fishing bigger baits for the gills to see if I could coax a 10+ inch gill into my basket. This particular fish ate a 1/16 oz. jig tipped with a minnow. The green sunfish spawn around the same time as the gills and that is typically when I find bigger green sunfish. We've also caught some nice ones through the ice at UL. They are pretty fish and taste just fine. Smaller sunnies would make great bait...but not here in Utah [Wink]
[signature]
I have found the same thing for size during the spring spawn but not able to coax the big ones into biting since then. I had a good spring for sunfish and got quite a few over 7 inches but can only catch under 5 inchers lately but they sure are fun on the fly rod. J
[signature]