Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Finder for Ice Fishing
[quote Mr._Rogers]

Also what is the difference between a single beam, double beam, or triple beam?

[/quote]

Beams are wavelengths. Different wavelengths work better at different depths. Also the width of the cone varies with different wavelengths.

Multiple beams are especially useful if one is fishing where the bottom is dropping off fast. By switching to a narrow beam less of the bottom is below the area visible in the beam.

It can also be useful if one is close to another angler. One may want to widen the beam and share the fish finder with a buddy or narrow it so one is distracted by also seeing the jig of the other angler.
[signature]
Mr Rogers,

It's painful to shell out the big bucks isn't it!? It seems like the base model flashers for Marcum, Vexilar, and Hummingbird are all around $300.

My thoughts:
PiranhaMAX - haven't seen or used
Lowrance - haven't seen or used
Garmin - haven't seen or used
Showdown Ice Troller - my friend has one. I think they run about $200. Works fine. I like the vertical display. Don't care for LCD, lack of color, prone to interference from other nearby flashers etc.
Vexilar - I think I have the FL8. It's old! Like 8 or 9 years old. Works fine still. Prone to interference.
Hummingbird ICE 35 - My newest toy. I like better than the Vexilar. Dual beam. Flat face doesn't accumulate snow. Less prone to interference. Has zoom feature..I think...I don't use that feature, tho. Good bang for buck at $300.
Marcums - My buddy has one. (LX3?) Very similar to Vexilar, but he claims it's more powerful, accurate, sharper, and less prone to interference, etc. He prefers it over his Vexliar and Hummingbird ICE 35. Probably the most expensive, too.

If you can stomach the $300, I'd recommend the ICE35. The Showdown is solid for $200 - I've seen it in action. I'm not sure how the Showdown compares to the other 3 brands you asked about...but I think they are all LCD style which I'm not a big fan of.

Good luck picking one. Let us know which you decide to get!! =) It makes ice fishing more fun, that's for sure!
[signature]
I would go with the hummingbird 385 ci it is awesome has all the different views and also gps.as long as you dont run it as fish id on,the true plus is you can use it anywhere and any way its hard to beat.and for accuracy I can watch fish especially perch and others right on the bottom while watching 3 different lines at once on it.I usually run lowrance for everything but have to give hummingbird a great review.
[signature]
I have been looking at that one, does it "Freak Out" in the cold?
[signature]
So with that GPS - do you get topo maps? The ones that show the bottom of the lakes? And do you have to pay extra for maps? It looks pretty cool and I see one for $280. Not that I have that much to burn right now . . . looks like a much smarter GPS that my car's model!

How much is an ice-ducer, and where do you get one of those to work with the M68c?
Coyote,
The m68c just has the built in basemaps, which include the shorelines of most lakes, etc. but as far as I know, this model does not have the downloadable features (...Even at this price, it's still the bottom of the heap in the Lowrance GPS lineup!) The ice-ducer was procurred from the Lowrance site I believe as it was 5 years ago when I got it. If I remember correctly, the ice-ducer was less than $30...but I can't remember the exact price. I don't use the metal hanger that came with it, I bought Vexilar floats and use those, they work much better.

Did you get the flag?

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
It has had no problems in the cold, last year at starvation in -10 it was fine i just keep it warm until I get to where im going.The other plus is having gps for waypoints to mark honey holes.I used the regular transducer almost the whole year and then got the ice ducer it was about $100.00 but worth it no hassle.I also get 3 or 4 ice trips per charge and I mean full days sunup to sunset.I enjoy watching the fish on it and can see what they are doing in some cases it is better than the flashers all my friends use them and they cant tell as well as to how the fish are swiming in and what turns them around.I prefer perch through the ice and it works awesome.and then throw it on the duck boat and im ready for exploring new areas,fog and the cast and blast do that with a vexillar lol.
[signature]
Cs I dont know if it has topo maps but it has the basic layout of lakes
shorelines and seem to be accurate,as for the iceducer I got mine at sportsmans but had to order it hope that helps,I just used a piece of wire doubled and bent to hang on the edge of my bucket and hold the transducer it worked just as well just one more item to the arsenal maybe need sled dogs if I keep finding all these toys lol.
[signature]