Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubing and Tooning Buyers' Guide
Im just curious what you do if you dont have a receipt copy or bill of sale. My tube wont handle a battery so I wont be adding a motor until I upgrade, but since you have dealt with them just curious. I know how much I paid and I can probably find the same tube on the internet but I dont have a receipt
[signature]
Costco isnt calling the boat the colorado, but it appears to be made to the same specs. and in my time spent shopping, is being sold for considerably less!

Cool option for the tiller! who makes the bracket that attaches to the shaft?
[signature]
i would call the DMV before you go, For Sure! in my experience, it depends on who you talk to, and more importantly the mood they are in that day! not sure if the retailer would have record of the transaction? some how the DMV needs proof that you paid sales tax. maybe a notarized avadavit stating that you paid sales tax in the amount of $$$, from you would suffice?? not really sure on that one.
[signature]
I have licensed 6 pontoons in the past three years. Been licensing Tubes and Toon for over 25 years. No advise here, but I licensed the newest edoition last week.
Not that big of a deal.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As "efficient" as DMV tried to be, they don't got a clue as to what these things cost...or should sell for. Get someone to "create" a signed and dated bill of sale for you...for whatever amount you want. But be reasonable. If you want you can bring in a page from a Cabelas catalog showing what new prices are. Not advising you to do anything unethical or illegal...just not to get stuck paying full taxes if there is no need to.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good advise, and again might be who you get. My last trip I licensed a NEW pontoon with sales slip. I also licensed an old boat with a sales slip.
They do have manufacturers on the computer to look up models now.
My suggestion, if it is old toon or tube that is still made, as TD recommended, take in a ad for the boat, but let them know you have an older version and just want to add a motor.
For the record, I go to the DMV off 3 west and North of 33rd south. The web site claims the fairgrounds do, but they do not.
I have three friends that work at the 3rd west DMV and they say they are getting it down to a system. It took me 10 minutes from the time I walked in the door to done.

There is no VIN number or hull numbers so nothing to look at. I do believe and again from talking to the ones that work there, one reason they want the vin number on the tube or toon is because people are using one registration for multi boats. Sorry, they are getting wise to that, as you can only use one at a time, right?

Good luck.
[signature]
Unfortunately the only ones in my price are the creek company sport lt ($200 new) or classic accessories Skagit ($250 barely used). Won't be heavily used or on rivers, but I can't afford the others I see on ksl starting at $350+. For heavy fishing I still prefer to take the boat.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]While I would not recommend them for regular serious fishing trips, they will suffice for the limited trips you plan them for...and with the limited budget. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If nothing else, you will learn the advantages and diSadvantages of the various options and will be better prepared to make a good decision when times and budgets are different.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And since there are always new folks coming into the market you will likely find a ready resale on these craft when and if you are ready to upgrade.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I was told by a couple manufacturers that the coast guard is even having the manufacturer put them on their float tubes. Just what I have been told. The manufacturer was Caddis. I wouldn't take your comment as confrontational at all TD
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I suppose it is not outside the realm of possibility. Big Bubba is trying to control everything else these days. With the increased popularity of tubing and tooning it is only a matter of time until guvmint finds a way to increase revenue through regulation and taxation...unless you are already a millionaire.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Unpaid political announcement.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]CRASH! (Fell off my soapbox)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Just my 2 cents...Earlier in the post someone mentioned the toon they sell at costco. I bought one 2 weeks ago. I've taken it out twice and seems pretty solid.. It came with HIN# printed on the side of the pontoon. it also has a certificate of origin.
[signature]
I have registered mine in Farmington both times. They seem pretty knowledgeable but do keep close tabs on what they are doing. They tried to charge me sales tax on an item I had already paid it on when origianlly purchased. I just happened to have the receipt with me so they took it off.
[signature]
[quote Tangled_not] Cool option for the tiller! who makes the bracket that attaches to the shaft?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]That was not something I put together. I just took a picture of it. But I seem to recall he said it was available at a plumbing supply store.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If not, you could probably rig one by using a standard PVC tee...or cross...and then cutting it and bolting it onto the shaft.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I found my Sportsman's version on KSL with fish finder and motor for $300 last spring. There are deals to be had out there.

Here it is before adding the motor and license.

[inline "P1010010 small.JPG"]

I registered it at the Draper office and it was super easy. Made a bill of sale, and took in a picture of it. In and out in about ten minutes.

As for the license, I went to Fast Signs and for twenty bucks got two reverse decals made and painted my license with white rubber paint on the sides of both pontoons.

I don't have a picture of mine with the decal so here is one of my dad's to show how it looks.

[inline "Picture 905 small.jpg"]
[signature]
Has anyone checked out or know if the pontoon boat for sale at Costco is any good? It looks good and has alot of features. What I don't know and can't tell is if the bladder is quality.

If anyone know about this brand and how good it is I would appreciate it as I have a friend that wants to get one.

Thanks
[signature]
Me and my friend were looking at those. Do you know what kind of bladder they have inside? Have you been happy with it? I was worried it would be made cheap. Thanks for your input.
[signature]
So I made it to the Draper DMV today with picture and bill of sale. Was in and out in less than 10 minutes. The person that helped me hadn't done one in a year or so but was familiar with the process and pulled out a manual to walk through it. Fee was $38 and I think I got away with one as I wasn't charged sales tax. Sometimes ignorance is a good thing[cool].
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If those are the Classic Accessories toons they are good vinyl (PVC) bladders...but not urethane. They hold up well with proper care. Definitely a good buy for the money...but not the best toons on the market. However, they are very good for someone just getting into the game and not willing or able to spend a lot of money.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They are a good way to get started and there will always be newbie tooners coming along who will buy your gently used craft for a high percentage of the original price...when you are ready to upgrade or if you decide you don't wanna play no more.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That's about the only thing that gets fishermen and married guys through the day.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
pat what do you think about venture outdoors dura pro 8 foot or 10 foot toon
[signature]