Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear River to Benson Floatilla - Plus Report
Thanks for the tour down the river Jeff, sure was an interesting trip[Wink]. We really didn't keep count of the fish we cought but we all caught some cats and crap. When we got to that section where you guys started trolling, I thought it looked like a good area for bottom bouncing for walleye but we did not have the right gear. Maybe next time, I'll be prepared, now that I know where to go. I sure won't make that wrong turn again[Wink].
It was good to meet you Jeff, Lava, Griggs. Good the see you again John, Tom and Ben.
It was a good time guys, we will have to do it again when it warms up a bit.
[signature]
That was a fun trip, even if I did get skunked. Ben got that decent channel the last 1/2 hr of our trip. All I got was too much sun lol

Nice to meet you Jeff and WiperHunter.
[signature]
Thanks Curt it was a fun day and nice to get to know a lot of the guys that we only know by call signs. It was a good crew to fish with that's for sure. Thanks for the support and maybe next week I'll see ya down on your turf. I'm wanting to try a Willard trip next weekend or Friday see if I can get my first wiper. I hope I pick a day when they aren't too picky. Till next time see ya later J
[signature]
Hey Lava it was good to meet you sorry I didn't get to chat a little more with you and Ben. I'm glad you guys did get to boat a good one. That spot where the two river channels came together ended up being a pretty good spot, I wish you guys would have been with us at that point I was finally able to break my skunk there and the big hole just down stream from that yielded a bunch of fish too. We'll have to do it again and maybe do a different area. I hope you guys had some fun it was good to have you along. Later J
[signature]
Hey J and all the others I met, hope you didn't mind me sneaking in on the river with you. And hope my pup didn't mess up your fishing. I really enjoyed meeting everyone and had a lot of fun, hope to do it again.
Rod (Dog Guy)
I boated 3 kittys myself, first timer. I'm not sure how big they need to be to be called cookies.
[signature]
Heya Rod, the "dog guy" - very glad to have you along. Appreciate your running back up river to pass the news - poor WH going off getting lost... guess we coulda maintained a tighter "formation" at times. But that was part of the fun of having multiple boats, multiple options...

That's a nice ride you got there, and I LOVE your dogs' enthusiasm. Just so you know - I didn't let your dog hop in my boat for his own safety. Too many damned hooks and clutter around (someday, hope to bring my own pooch along). BUT - I also wasn't gonna let him get stuck in that muck - my electric didn't have enough oomf to turn me against the current, so was about to fire up the gas and go save him. Was hoping he'd find his way out, and follow us over to you on the shore.
Mighty good swimmer, but I think he got kinda tired at that point. Just felt bad, and didn't want you to think I'd just leave him there . . .

I love dogs, and always welcome a wagging tail.

So - first time catching catfish, or first time on the river?
Don't know that he originated it, but "Cookie Cutter" is one of Tubedudes references to smaller size good eatin catfish. For me - probably falls in the 3#s and under, but over a footlong. Smaller than that, and they've still got some growing pains. At some point they loose their spots, and IMHO - that's about when the graduate from the "cookie" age. I just love how they croak!

Would be glad to meet up again. I really think a floatilla to the dam would be a great adventure. Buddy described it to me once as the "grand canyon of Cache Valley" - and I'm a believer.

Sure am glad they finally put the docks in. But I'd like to know who the bozo is who thinks they can make a fire on a plastic dock! Good grief!!!
That's my second time fishing the river, first time was on the stretch above the bridge launch to Amalga. I go up the river from the marina a few times a year either bowfishing or pheasant hunting. I'm surley going to try and learn the reservoir better, the wife loves catfish. She said once I learn how to catch them then she will join me.
[signature]
Hey Rod we were glad to see ya and that is a cute pooch I enjoyed the visit. I guess my definition for cookie cutter is the good size cats to eat that make nice fillets. I guess I would say 1 to 2.5 lb size and the smaller ones I call kittens. Lots of kittens for me this year only one over 2 lbs this year so far.

Hey did you see the wild turkey your dog chased past us? Seen lots of birds on the trip from turkey to osprey it was cool. Glad you got some channel cats they are fun fish if I could hook them. Guess the small ones don't get the hook in their mouths very far.

Well you sure have a nice rig I bet you really enjoy that one. Good to see you again we'll have to try again later this summer when the big ones get back into the river. Later J
[signature]
No I didn't see the turkey. I'm guessing my pup got lost and swam to the first boat she seen thinking it was me.

Coyote, no worries about not picking up the dog, she might of knocked your stuff into the water anyway.

Thanks again everyone it was a very very enjoyable time.

Rod
[signature]
If she's just a pup you are going to have a good one. See ya next time. J
[signature]
Hi Skunked,

Were you the guys who were "checking the depth" up near the pump station? If so, I'm glad everything worked out for you. That osprey was cool.

Brian
[signature]
Yes that was us, you must have been in the canoe. How did you do? We sure appreciated the tips in helping us find wiperhunter2 and getting us on a relatively deep path. I still hit bottom but I kind of knew I would down there it's tricky sailing. Nice to know who you are do you fish up here often? That area where you were at is pretty cool with all the islands and flows. Not to mention the wildlife. Thanks for the "hello" later J
[signature]
Yep, that was me in the canoe. I've spent some time messing around out there. I like that island area because I can escape the wind if it picks up. There is some good deep water in the channel where you saw me, and a couple of real nice holes just a bit upstream where the islands start.
The shallows south of the channel are really shallow, like 1'. Big carp central. I need to bring my bow out there.

All I picked up was one big carp that I sight casted a jig to. I was rigged for walleye so wasn't expecting a lot of action but thought I might pick up a cat or two.
[signature]
Dude! You broke free! Crossed the line.
Welcome aboard. I just had a feeling it had to be you there, so on my return trip - had to stop and say hi (hope you didn't think I was scoping out your gear!). Sadly, it cost me my chance to get BACK on the water with the boy- as we'd planned. He was really hankering to stick a carp (note first picture), and I thought for sure I'd nab a channel if I hit my money spot (or small change spot - who knows).
I'll say again - I'm still impressed at how much getting around you do via canoe. (not to mention some wicked fish catching!)

Jeff - maybe we shoulda headed out in front if you were "moving" the carp as we moved down river. He had some good chances once we got onto Cutler. That stamped STILL has me laughing.
It had been a long day, and can't say I blame him. Had our ups and downs. ( I need more patience! even if that's always my "lesson" to him - when it comes to fishing)

So as far as the score-keeping goes - was Lava the only skunkster of that day? (sorry to OUT you boy! Get me back with our summer "wager"!)

Ron- you saying there's another launch up by Amalga? I haven't seen that. Heard there was one across the border, and then another down by Corinne, but I'd really appreciate knowing any others. I've gotta spend more time on that water. There's sure a lot to explore.

One of those first log jams we anchored up at - we thought we saw carp in the piled up goo, but realized they were birds. Think on might have been a turkey even. Shoulda grabbed some feathers to make bobbers out of!

Again - loved the trip, look forward to trying it again.
Jeff- my son has his heart set on camping Willard this Friday, so I'm taking the day off, and we'll be down there for sure. If I can get my ducks in a row - maybe I'll even be able to bring the "new" boat.
Coyote, I dont know of a launch above where you guys put in, that is the one I use I go up river from there to the bridge by the Amalga cheese plant. Depending on the water level I can go under the bridge and go a bit further. There's some good bowfishing up there and looks like some good deep holes.
Rod
[signature]
Ok, now I get it. Thanks. I've only made it a couple bends upriver from the 'church launch'. I just get "stuck" anchoring up and fishing a spot for too long, rather than more exploring.

But I have heard the farther you go upriver, the more clear the water gets. Probably more and more into Walleye territory!
Probably by Amalga you're already seeing that.
Yote it's up west of Preston where the river picks up the mud and so you have to go further than Amalga. J
[signature]
XBar that is one beauty of a cat, any idea what it weighed or how long it was? I think Yote mentioned meeting you before our float. So are you local to the valley? Just thinking it's good to have that fish on the norths side in the contest. Good job and it's nice to meet ya. Later J
[signature]
Yote looks like I missed a post earlier. In answer to your questions yes we did push out a lot of carp from the shallows on the river bank they were big ones too. And I will keep my eyes open for ya at Willard on Friday. I'm taking my father-in-law and we will hit the north marina. I'll probably fish the north dike area unless I can't find any fish then who knows where I'll end up. Planning on washing some lures hope we see ya there. Good luck on the new boat.
Later J
[signature]