Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear River to Benson Floatilla - Plus Report
No more finals for me. I finished the last one up earlier today. I will be in SLC tomorrow at a seminar learning more about some software that I will be using to generate models of my bridge girders that I will be testing for my thesis project. I would rather be fishing. [Wink]
[signature]
Good deal with being done. I think we all would rather be fishing but sometimes the anticipation makes it better when we get there. See ya Saturday. J
[signature]
[quote Bama_Boy]Just got back from measuring the clearance at both bridges we will be passing under. The bridge right there by the launch just north of the church in Benson (where we are putting in) has 70 inches of clearance (from the bottom of the bridge girders to the water surface). The other bridge a few miles downstream has 83 inches of clearance. Not sure what you need for the boat, but I am pretty confident you will be just fine. [cool]

Hope to see you there![/quote]
Thanks so much for checking the bridge clearance Ben. It would have been a wasted trip if you hadn't checked because Dan(Reelfast) boat needs 7 to 8 ft clearance. Here is a pic of it: [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=reelfast"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=reelfast[/url]
We will need to change our plans but I think I can bring my boat and we should be ok with it. Thanks again, hope to see you guys up there.
[signature]
No worries. I'm used to being Confused! Guess you got enough ins and outs flowing through Cutler.
Never had a problem launching that ramp, but it's kinda muddy now, so might not want to back in too far.

I got my front wheels onto the green muck over at Benson, and I wasn't going no where fast - if I hadn't kicked in the AWD. Might just back in 'enough' then push off the trailer. It can be tough lining up on a trailer with the current running perpendicular to the launch.
Nothing like that DROP at the end of the CJ ramp.

So now sounds like my boy might flake out. So that could leave me with an open seat. Or if someone else has an open seat . . . if we're more in for a boating trip - wouldn't need ALL that tackle I seem to bog down my tug with.

I'll be glad to bring some carp minnows, and extras if anyone else wants some.
I went through my tackle and tried to reduce down to my go bag and a bucket (that I use for a seat to run the trolling motor) and my ice fishing tote which is still probably too much stuff but I hate not having what I want to use when it's sitting home. probably just need hooks sinkers and a few jigs and bobber. But I think a mans tackle is like a womens make up it's easy to take more than you need. Guess I'm the Tammy Faye type fisherman. Anyway I think we can do some seat shuffling at the launch it's usually more fun to fish with someone. I remembered a few scout trips of spending all my time rigging and helping untangle lines so that would be an exception although the company was good. Thanks for mentioning the cross current at the ramp that does make it difficult to load but we will pull out at a different ramp so it will be easier. Later J
[signature]
Just a little weather update now calling out mostly sunny with a 6- 14 mph wind. Don't worry wind is not a big problem where we will be going since it is mostly shielded by trees and narrow passages. If the waves on Cutler are too big for the small boats we'll pull out on my parents place. We don't have a boat ramp but we can manually lift them out if required. Later J
[signature]
Hey guys if you don't have all your crawlers yet for tomorrow my cub scouts want to sell some at the launch so you might be able to pick up the extra dozen from them if you'd like to. See ya tomorrow. J
[signature]
I've got minnows but no worms, I'll get some from the scouts tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to find the church. If I put the address that is listed above in a GPS will I be able to find it? or do I need a zip code?
[signature]
If you need a zip code it is 84335 or 84321 is Logan and I think all county addresses key off there. The boys called excited tonight and said they had 9 dozen crawlers. I tried to catch some and the wind is so strong I only found a dozen so I think I'll have to get some as well. I assume you will come through Sardine into Logan if so you can take 1000 W in Logan and at the second light turn left. This will be 200 N or the valley view highway. Go west a couple miles until you hit 3200 W take a right on it and drive until it curves around some water and the church is straight ahead. Good luck. See you then. J
[signature]
Get to bed Jeff we cannot sleep down here with all that racket up there LOL[bobsleeping][bobsleeping][bobsleeping][bobsleeping][bobsleeping][bobsleeping][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][sly][sly][sly][sly][sly][sly][sly][sly][sly][sly][sly][fishon][fishon][fishon][fishon][fishon][fishon][fishon][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink][bobWink]
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]Just a little weather update now calling out mostly sunny with a 6- 14 mph wind. Don't worry wind is not a big problem where we will be going since it is mostly shielded by trees and narrow passages. If the waves on Cutler are too big for the small boats we'll pull out on my parents place. We don't have a boat ramp but we can manually lift them out if required. Later J[/quote]

Holy handgrenades batman! I know this would still be a blast, but are we on? I've had rain on and off all night, and it's still drizzling pretty good (ok, so NOT good, but...). Went out and dusted some hail off the deck chairs. Um...

I'm all for hard-core outings, just wondering if we're in for mayhem and chaos? I liked Js weather update yesterday, and sure looked promising last night. But whatever front has come through - as I look across the valley - I see low clouds, and hazy daze ahead. Could see it break and brighten up, but not by 8.

Sooooooo. what's uh the deal? Are we going to hell in a handbasket?

This morning would be another good one for collecting the thin-wigglys! They're all over my driveway! Time to start the farm- Lava!
Well glad you decided to come anyway the showers burned off quick and it was a fun trip. Sorry it wasn't a bountiful catch but at least those Bear River Tarpon were hungry. I should have had your son and Ben up with us on the first pass down that river they would have had lots of shooting. What was your boats final total? I think I just got 2 or 3. 1 carp and I think 2 kittens. I'll let CV and Big rigg report their totals. Later J
[signature]
I lost count [bobhappy][bobhappy]

Post the pic of the Monster tarpon i caught and kissed
[signature]
Just a few carp and three small kitties for me. BUT - it was a blast. I cannot thank you enough skunked for showing me the Bear. I am ready to hit it with my new bear boat now.
[signature]
Most definitely worth it, and turned into a real nice day. Just a bit intimidating waking up to frosty hail on the deck, low clouds, and drizzling rain . . . BUT

Great adventure there J. Thanks for being our River Guide. It's nice to have seen the whole stretch of river. Definitely going to have to do some more exploring down there. Sure are some promising holes and wood jams along the way. I'm quite sure if it had been warmer we coulda found more kitty love. But at least some you found some kittens.

[inline "Floatilla of Four.jpg"]

[inline "BIG bendo.jpg"]

Sorry you took a wrong turn at the end of the river WH. Gotta go LEFT at the duck blind. Them fresh water tarpon sure do put up some good tugs. The one I caught - I don't think either of us knew he was on, till I lifted my line, and she shot off like a bullet! Love when that drag starts squealing! I have one good bobber dive, but was on the phone, and when I got to it, missed it. So I'm sure it was a nice fat channel cat!
Never did stick a carp with the bow, my son was working the shore of one of the shallow arms, and set of a STAMPEDE - whole herd of humpback waves came running right at me!
[inline "A Visitor.jpg"]
Cracked me up when "dog guy's" pooch came out to jump in your boat J! That hound SURE loves fishing, and swimming! Lots of scenery, and sure a lot of birds. Heard of swan lake ballet? Yeah - we had our own version. Sure are some big birds out in that marsh!
One thing you can be sure - THEY know where to find the fish!!!
[inline "Pelican Pond Ballet.jpg"]

Thanks to everyone who joined the adventure. Great day, good company, even a few tugs to entertain.
[inline "My Golden Tarpon.jpg"]
Hey CV it was great to have you aboard, that way our boat got the first fish of the day. Nice job. I'm not sure how final tallies worked out but I think you got the big channel title today unless my nephew's was bigger. Sad that it was only a cookie cutter but a lot better than the kittens. Anyway enjoyed visiting and I hope it was worth your time. If you need other ideas for the lower end that we ended up speeding through let me know. There are a lot of spots and we just didn't have enough time to do much in most of them but it was fun anyway. Well have to do it again maybe after Koke or Bear Lake. Catch ya later. J
[signature]
Yote very nice post your taking after TD and doing a great job. Hey it was sure fun to have you and your son there with us I'm sorry we ran out of time before we got to the stuff you wanted to see but I did learn that the water along the north side on that east/ west leg heading to Cache Junction is deeper than it used to be and I think in a small boat you can make it through without pushing from CJ up to that slough you wanted to fish. There is a pair of Osprey nesting down on that pole by the pump it was cool. Try not to leave your prop in the mud much down there I kind of chewed mine up. It usually just polishes them a little but I must of found some hard bottom.

Sure was nice to visit with everyone and a few of those holes worked well to get the crew together. Oh, dog guy (Rod) is a BFT member and I forget how he spells his handle but I'll add it later when I get the pictures off this phone. Thanks for all your organizing it came together really well. Later J
[signature]
Hey Big griggs, nice to have you aboard today, I appreciated the help, thanks.. Oh, so everyone will know Big G always makes my fish count go down whenever he goes with me and now I know why... See the pictures below, I think the fish know who's going to give them a kiss.... Thanks G it was a fun day, way to school me... Later J
[signature]
Haha - I'd have to start catching a WHOLE lot more fish before I could keep up with THAT 'ol man! But - it's good to have motivation, inspiration. Someone's gotta set the bar right!
Bama said he caught a 2lb channel before they hit the launch (Lava - next time PUT YOUR KEYS IN YOUR POCKET! too funny!) but w/o a picture, it's just another fish tail right?
BTW - where that carp-kissing shot? Don't tell me you're waiting to get the film developed![crazy]

I'd like to learn better where the "channel" is out in Cutler. When Bama and I worked south from the train bridge - we clung tight to the north side, then hugged the n/e rim, and it mostly worked out. I did notice some nice wood "structure" out in the middle, and it seemed favored by the birds, so I take that as a sign (just didn't have the time).
Someone once told me there are "markers" or "signs" south of the wooden trestle bridge, but I think I went too far west, and ended up in shallow reed zone pretty quick- that was the trip my wiring box melted on me. Not good. Big Current - Big Wires! Lesson learned!
I was intrigued to see the upper marsh along VV was FULL up now! Up by the dump and such. Wonder who'd gonna move in there?!

I felt bad for Rod's pooch there when he got up in that sludge - thought he could climb up on it, to realize it was all gush, not solid ground (despite all the weeds growing in it! I REALLY though that jam was gonna produce! Carp minnow FAIL!)
I was about to head back for a save, but just didn't really want him climbing in and finding a hook in my tug, too many snags to be had. That woulda been Sad! Bold Dogs! Think they could keep up with Sparky easy!!!
But - he came and retrieved his retriever. Seemed like a real nice guy.

Had a chance to meet a BFT lurker who's been kind enough to chat and share in private. (he landed the 15lber channel over by Benson, on carp guts) Sadly my boy had hit meltdown, so we didn't get to head back out to the moneyspot as planned. But it'd been a long day already. I'll be lucky if he ever comes fishing again, though - Rockstar and chips to bribe - I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

So - what about a venture downstream from CJ sometime - take a run ALL the way to the damn!?!? If we have enough boats, and enough lines out - the (&^%$(#) ski boats will HAVE to stay away!!!
I think a night trip could be cool too - float out, maybe hop out and hit the shore, campfire, marshmallows, and MONSTER CATS! We could show those southern boys what it's all about! (long as we bring enough bug spray!)
Yote the pic is BRTarpon2 above. I agree we need to locate the channel and mark it maybe this summer when it warms up we can take some willows or bamboo and put in some markers or put some bouyes in to line up on each end. The spot we ran was down the north side but in the middle of that section of water. Anyway sounds like Ben took the cat title for the day good job glad there was one nice one. A night after work run down to the dam might be fun it's not far from CJ and it would be fun to graph and see if there are any fish potential might find some good eye zone with more depth down there. Could be fun. Later J
[signature]