Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shore Lunchin Munchin Trout?
So you Kung-Fu masters have been upgraded to Militia! Woah. Watch out!
I like the stove idea, if you're in/out. TDs foil is a great way to go if you've got a fire, and time. But - if you have to keep moving for them boils, well... don't wanna leave a campfire smoldering in the back country!

Dab of butter, garlic, salt/pepper, maybe some onion flakes. Then some broth - if you want. You can bring a bullion cube - or stash a few cold brews deep in your pack. Splash for the fish, sip for the fisherman.

Do you filet your fish? I've you're planning to pack them out - I'd definitely suggest that. Get away from the guts!

If you want to keep them fresh and pack them out - you might consider a no-bake cooking, forget what it's called - but basically pickling with citrus - lemon/lime, salt - you can cook without cooking.

Back in the olden days before refrigeration, they'd pack meats and fish on salt to preserve.

I'll have to dig up the recipe - friend gave me for bottled fish. You probably can't pressure can, but with the stove you could cook and 'bottle' enough to make it back to trailhead safely.

I think it's water, salt/pepper, vinegar, some dressing (like an Italian dressing) then bottle/can.
[quote CoyoteSpinner] ... If you want to keep them fresh and pack them out - you might consider a no-bake cooking, forget what it's called - but basically pickling with citrus - lemon/lime, salt - you can cook without cooking.

Back in the olden days before refrigeration, they'd pack meats and fish on salt to preserve.

I'll have to dig up the recipe - friend gave me for bottled fish. [/quote]

I love pickled herring and would love to know how to preserve fish that way. I know that for other raw fish like with sushi it is frozen for a required number of days to kill parasites and there is still the possibly of bacteria and and the like surviving. I don't think just the acidity of pickling is sufficient and suspect there are additional steps. It's on my list of things to learn.

Pressure canning is good and I do it, but it's not compatible with backpacking and an athletic style of fishing to cover a lot of terrain. Still, it is a good skill for preparedness.

I really like smoked fish. Smoking fish at the campsite is compatible with hiking in and out, but it takes a long time. Perhaps that's good for a family with some fishing and some staying at the campsite or if you catch your limit early and have time to spend at your campsite.

If fish isn't kept ice cold to bring it back, then it can be kept cooked and steamy hot for the trip back, but it would be best to keep the fish alive most of the day and cook them last before the trip home.

It's easy to burn fuel to cook, but not an easy task to get ice when you don't have it out away from towns.

Ronald Smile
[signature]
Ok, had to go Google it:

[Image: img_ico_q.gif]How does citrus “cook” raw things, like fish in ceviche?
[Image: img_ico_a.gif]Technically speaking, cooking requires heat, so ceviche (also known as seviche or cebiche), a dish in which raw fish is marinated in citrus juice, isn’t [url "http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36202-2004Nov9.html"]cooked[/url]. But it’s not exactly raw, either. Both heat and citric acid are agents of a chemical process called denaturation. In this process, the heat or citric acid changes the proteins in the fish, unraveling the molecules and altering their chemical and physical properties. When fish is bathed in citrus juices, this process of denaturation turns the flesh firm and opaque, as if it had been cooked with heat.

[angelic]
Couple links if anyone wants to read further.
There is mention of a par-boil, or pre-boil of the fish to address bacteria, parasites, then put it on the juice. There is also a suggestion that some fish can "overcook" and get tough or dry if on the juice for too long.

Add some onion, and peppers, bet a splash of vodka or tequila couldn't hurt! Lime and Lemon...

[url "http://www.chow.com/food-news/54060/what-is-ceviche/"]What is Ceviche?[/url]

[url "http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=482233"]How and why does lemon juice cook fish?[/url]

[url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceviche"]Wiki on Ceviche[/url]

Found the Bottle Fish recipe. It does involve 'canning' which I agree - would be a lot of weight/bulk to carry a canner! So - perhaps prepping the ingredients in a jar, giving them a boil, then cool to carry. Then a proper canning once home.
Some of you guys are missing the whole point. He wants to eat the fish fresh. He carries a stove and a pan. He asked for advice from there.

And some of us gave it: all he needs is some kind of fat/oil and some basic seasoning.

Clean 'em. Pop 'em in the pan with the above. Enjoy.
[signature]
[#502800]If you cannot make a fire, do the Tube Dude thing with the foil, take a forked green stick that has been soaking in the lake, put one fork on one side of the foil and one fork on the other side of the foil.[/#502800]

[#502800]Wrap another piece of foil over the whole thing, (end of the stick and all) to hold it all together. Roast it over the mountain stove just like a hot dog.[/#502800]
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]... Add some onion, and peppers, bet a splash of vodka or tequila couldn't hurt! Lime and Lemon... [/quote]

Good work, thanks! I'll look at the links after dark. Right now are the prime fishing minutes just before sunset. I just switched from practice casting a five ounce practice weight with my new surf casting rod and just put that huge four piece monster away to get my tiny ten foot rod for real fishing and to rest from that athletic activity. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong and will be able to cast much further when I learn and practice right.

On the vodka, it actually is an important and useful food preservation method that is most often used for herbal medications to make them last and for extracts of spices. Everclear is used. It's 95% alcohol. That would kill anything that would make food spoil.

It seems like it should work for fish, too. Why not? What could go wrong? To cook it, just light it with a match. Wink

Ronald Smile
[signature]
http://m.standard.net/standardex/pm_1098...d=uBdgLchL

Good news the fire ban on national Forrest land has been lifted!
[signature]
[quote pookiebar]http://m.standard.net/standardex/pm_109839/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=uBdgLchL

Good news the fire ban on national Forrest land has been lifted![/quote]

Excellent!

Now you can brine and smoke the fish and that's compatible with hot days. You can bring home delicious smoked fish. I like to eat it cold on a bagel with cream cheese, green onions, peppers and tomato slices. You can eat it the same way while fishing, too. It will keep long enough to bring it home and refrigerate it provided the moisture content is low and osmotic pressure of salt and or sugar is high, but get actual tested and proven recipients for food safety. Here is such a link, but a lot that is possible is missing:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp

(Link not working at this moment.)

http://nchfp.uga.edu/tips/summer/home_pr...atoes.html
[signature]
True. Hot and fresh.
Also complained about taking fish back, and having them spoil.

Agreed with the basics of a simple panfry, I like poaching them too, so - offered that. (don't think bacon bits would offer the same fats as bits of bacon). If you're not poaching, consider Panko!

Then expanded to offer alternative methods of preserving a catch. Don't know about you, but unless they're superdinks, I'd find 8 trout in one sitting a bit much.

So not sure why the criticism... don't think I missed anything, it's right in the title.
Twin,
When I was a young sprout such as yourself, (yes your young, lucky you) I used to eat my fish streamside all the time.
Simple method. I carried a shaker bottle of lemon/pepper that I mixed a little salt and Paparika and some Cummin into with me.
I would gut the fish, then after rinsing, shake some seasoning mix into the cavity and set aside for a few miniutes while I found a green stick like kids use for marshmellows and got my fire going.
Then I would push the stick into the fish's mouth and through the gut cavity and use a bread wire tie to attach the tail to the stick.
Prop the stick over the fire and cook till done, turning once. It's like fresh smoked fish and all your carrying is a piece of wire and the shaker of seasoning.
Eat the fish like a hotdog on a stick.

If your real hungry, carry a little Bisquick and make a thick batter to wrap around the stick so I had a fresh biscuit with my fish. Add some powered milk to the Busquick to make up for the lack of milk, then just add water. You can also wrap the bisquik mix around the fish and cook it that way, like trout in a blanket. If your batter is the right thickness it will wrap around the stick and the stickyness will hold it all on the stick.

If you have a fry pan then your really living and can do a whole shore lunch. Bring some bacon, it will be fine if cold when you pack it, pack it in a qt baggie which you put inside a gallon baggie lined with packing foam (the soft stuff that comes in sheets) it's like a super light mini cooler that is flexible.
Dice up a potatoe into real small pieces so it cooks fast or nuke it at home so it is cooked already and only needs heating, throw the potatoe in with the bacon. When 2/3 cooked put the fish in, season and cook till done. A can of Van Camps beans and you have enough food to spend the night.
I was thinking of you guys yesterday as I stood on Beaver Creek catching 4 to 8 Cutts from every pool on an Elk Haired Caddis, thinking of how you would have loved to be there with your fly rods landing a fish every 30 seconds. I caught like 30 in 2 hours.
[signature]
You can also try bringing home a fish in the makeshift cooler.
These work really well if you have some of the packing foam, so save it next time you get some.
You can also make a cooler envelope out of the 3/8 foam they use for sleeping pads. Just cut a couple of pieces about 18" by 18" (cut 18" off the pad then cut in half) and using super glue make an envelope by gluing three sides together.
Carry a couple of those flexible freezer packs and a couple of ice cold drinks of your choice in with you and then clean and zip lock your afternoon fish and put them in the "cooler" with the ice packs. They should make it home.
If you don't mind a wet back, wrap the "cooler" in a wet towel for the hike out. The heat energy of the day gets used up evaporating the water on the towel and takes longer to get to the fish inside the cooler.
I do this with my regular coolers in the summer, keeping a wet blanket or towel over them doesn't allow the sun to get directly on them and the evaporative action robs energy that would be hitting the cooler. Makes the ice last twice as long.
[signature]
Could save pennys and buy a creel:
[url "http://www.cabelas.com/product/ArctiCreel/742573.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3FN%3D0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dfishing%2Bcreel%26WT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26WT.mc_id%3Dbing%7Cfly_Fly%2BFishing%2BAcc_Creels%7CUSA%26WT.z_mc_id1%3De30bkRJk7%26rid%3D20%26pcrid%3D394937388%26sadid%3D44000000018572589&Ntt=fishing+creel&WTz_l=PPC"]http://www.cabelas.com/product/ArctiCreel/742573.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3FN%3D0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dfishing%2Bcreel%26WT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26WT.mc_id%3Dbing%7Cfly_Fly%2BFishing%2BAcc_Creels%7CUSA%26WT.z_mc_id1%3De30bkRJk7%26rid%3D20%26pcrid%3D394937388%26sadid%3D44000000018572589&Ntt=fishing+creel&WTz_l=PPC[/url]
[signature]
Not to bust on you, but how can spending $75 to buy a creel "save penny's" over cutting 18" off of a sleeping pad you already have or scavenging some shipping soft foam to put in a gallon zip lock?

That creel is nothing more than what I have outlined. 3/8 foam wrapped in a towel that you get wet. All it has is a strap.

Had I known they get $75 for those I would have charged $5 for instructions on how to build the one I explained.

Twins, stop by a windshield or glass shop and ask if they have any shipping foam they will give you, a dozen Krispy Cremes can go a long way to get what they mostly throw away. They get some really nice 1" stuff that the glass comes packed in. Glue that together and you have a really insulated envelope.
[signature]
Re-read Troll. I said "SAVE THEIR PENNYS TO BUY THIS CREEL" not this saves pennys.

Creels have been around forever and just for this reason, that is all. Even in "A River Runs Through It".

You describe excellently how to make one. I just posted this to give a visual and an idea of the advantage to making your own.

And this is Sunday? Day of Peace.

There are also other quick, and cheaper creels under GOOGLE.
[signature]
I stand corrected, hats off to you for the visual.

Yes creels have been around a long time, Issac Walton had one and a 100 yr old wicker creel sold on E-bay for $400 last week, so if you have one of Grampa's, keep it and take care of it.
There are some worth big bucks, like these.
[url "http://www.angling-artifacts.com/store/creels.html"]http://www.angling-artifacts.com/store/creels.html[/url]

I'm cheap as they come and love to build my own stuff, especially if it's better than what can be bought.

If I thought Tye Dye or his brother could sew I would say sew up one like in the picture using 1" foam, a couple of trash bags for the water proof pouch part and an old towel. Piece of rope for the strap and, BAM, your good to go.
Creels worked on the same evaporation principle I expalined above, get them wet and evaporation keeps them cool inside. Add a couple of soft ice packs and you'll be amased at how cool they stay for how long. Put a couple of frozen drinks or ice cold barley pops in them in the morning and they can make a good trip better and get some fish home for dinner.
[signature]
The exact quote was "Could save pennys (sic) and buy a creel" which can easily be interpreted either way.
[signature]
That was so 3 posts ago.[Smile]

I've moved on to "how to make a creel almost as good as a $75 one from scrap foam, garbage bags, an old towel and a piece of rope.
[signature]
True enough, but I don't see how having a creel saves money, in this particular case. I guess I did not make it obvious however.
$75 for a canvas creel would take a little prepping both mentally and financially though, that was obvious.[cool]
[signature]
I'm still thankful for the pic as a reference.
Between it and my instructions and some American inginuity, plus of course a roll of Duct Tape, the twins should be able to come up with something to get the second half of their trout limit home after enjoying a shore lunch.

That would be even better than gluing the foam, Duct Tape it together, you'd be a well respected man comming down the mountain with a duct tape creel full of fish slung over your shoulder.
I would probably bow down if I saw that.
[signature]
Ah yes, Duct Tape! Sell the Duct Tape Creel right next to the Duct Tape Wallet, flowers, baby sitter...etc...LOL

[url "http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=duct+tape+crafts&qpvt=duct+tape+crafts&FORM=IGRE"]http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=duct+tape+crafts&qpvt=duct+tape+crafts&FORM=IGRE[/url]

People used the same idea of the canvas bag of water in the front of their car radiator to make it across the desert. I don't know if any still do it.
[signature]